Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2018, 14:39   #31

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odessey 45.2
Re: Garden hoses, what do you use

Lay flat hose on winder
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	32448BAB-09E9-4948-A52E-E29B47ED9EFB.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	323.9 KB
ID:	180538  
colinalleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 17:04   #32

Boat: Mainship 390

Here is a similar product. I have used one as a garden hose for 5-6 years. Very light, compact, drinking water safe.

Best Kink Release Lightweight Garden Hose | Clear Flow™
lmmcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 17:23   #33

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
I am sick of having all the kinks in my garden hose. They just get worse, I can never coil the hose properly. I have tried all sorts of hoses.

At home I have an old sears rubber hose that works very well, but weighs a ton.

I have tried those expanding hoses you see on TV, but at least the ones I have tried disintegrated in a short period of time. Ideally I want something that is 50'.

So what have you found to work, or do all solutions wind up like what I currently have.

PS, not sure if this is right forum for this, move it if there is a better one pls.
We have been using one of these for 7 years now. Bought another two earlier this year as there was a rumour they were going out of production. Not according to the official website though:

https://www.gardena.com/int/products...tte/900863501/

There is a trick however. When you buy it, unscrew the quick-connect fittings and bind the hose onto the fitting tail with waxed whipping thread, then replace the nut over it. Done properly, it will never blow off then.

The Gardena Rollfix is a great hose, light and compact.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 18:50   #34

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinalleck View Post
Lay flat hose on winder
I was given one of these . It leaks (just a little) and about eight years later still leaks a little. I don't mind because 50' stores in an area smaller than a pizza box. Really, you cannot beat it.

Mine is fabric and so drying it out is easy. I hang it over the davit and in a few hours or the next day, it's dry and ready to stow away.

The ends are brass so no issues there. Additionally, the weight is negligible. Those scrunchy ones are intriguing but not enough to spend perfectly good money to buy -- at least not for me.

I would not leave this hose under pressure.
It is an option to consider, especially for those of us with smaller boats.
Old 13-11-2018, 20:57   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
I am sick of having all the kinks in my garden hose. They just get worse, I can never coil the hose properly. I have tried all sorts of hoses.

At home I have an old sears rubber hose that works very well, but weighs a ton.

I have tried those expanding hoses you see on TV, but at least the ones I have tried disintegrated in a short period of time. Ideally I want something that is 50'.

So what have you found to work, or do all solutions wind up like what I currently have.

PS, not sure if this is right forum for this, move it if there is a better one pls.
Look up Armadillo water hose on Amazon I have used it for years.
Scubableu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 07:08   #36

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRory View Post
Collapsable "scrunchy" hose "as seen on TV".
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
The ends are brass so no issues there. Additionally, the weight is negligible. Those scrunchy ones are intriguing but not enough to spend perfectly good money to buy -- at least not for me.
I have a "scrunchy" and I'm not impressed. It's 50' long, and it takes a while to "inflate" under the water pressure once you open the spigot. Then, to stow, you have to release all the water that's still under pressure in the hose, after closing the spigot. If you're very clever, you'll correctly estimate how much more water you're going to need, and know exactly when to stop what you're doing, walk back to the spigot, shut it off, go back to where you were, and finish the job just as the water pressure drops. I will say that at least it doesn't kink quite as much as some, and doesn't mar the deck.

Brass fittings are a deal breaker for me. Too much fiberglass to chip or scratch as they (inevitably) get dropped on or dragged across the decks.

Likewise, I'd be a bit afraid of rubber hoses leaving marks as they're dragged around. Maybe those red rubber ones would be OK, but I haven't tried

The PO of my boat tried the spiral curling style, and I found it snagged and kinked everywhere. It also had brass ends (see above.)

Maybe I'll give the flat ones a shot at some point, but it seems you'd have the same problem as the scrunchy one. You'd have to unspool and "fill" the entire hose before using, then empty and re-spool it to stow.

So far my best solution was to install a hose fitting at the bow, cut a 25' white potable water hose in half and add new fittings to the cut ends. Now I have two, 12.5' hoses, one at the bow and one just aft of midships, which cover the whole boat but stow with just a few coils. If I make another one I'll make the aft hose a foot longer and I'd be able to get it down on the swim platform. Wish I'd measured first!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 07:57   #37

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinalleck View Post
Lay flat hose on winder
That's mighty expensive for a hose.

I bought a white garden hose about 3 years ago, put a filter on both ends. When at the dock, I hang it over the side from some light line. When time to leave, I take it to the dock and roll it up.
I only carry 150 gallons so, in port with 2 people on board, showers, cooking, fresh water flush, and one load of wash, 150 gallons of fresh water does not last long. I am adding water every 2 days. No real need to cut back on water usage when the hose is so close.
Old 14-11-2018, 08:47   #38

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

I hope nobody is leaving their drinking water hose in the sun! Great way to get Legionnaire's disease and all other kinds of nasties (chemical and biological).

Matt
Old 19-11-2018, 06:39   #39

There is a technique for coiling a vinyl hose without kinking. Most such hoses have a contrasting colored line in them. You simply lay it out on the dock in a straight line, and then coil it while twisting so that the line in the hose stays straight instead of spiraling around the hose. The hose will develop memory of being in this position which makes it easier to handle.
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 06:55   #40

Boat: Grand Banks 50

I also coil the hose flat on the floor in a figure-of-8 to avoid kinks.

Then I fold one set of loops over the other and end up with a single loop. This makes the bundle smaller and easier to store.

I do the same with the shore power cord.
Xlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 06:55   #41

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

I have been using the “drinking water” hoses Produced for recreational vehicles. I do coil with a twist, screw the ends together and store in a locker out of the sun. At least for traveling these are doing well so far.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 07:05   #42

Boat: Domp 8.60

Gardena in Europe make a hose which will last and it is guaranteed for 20 years maybe a bit far for most readers.
https://www.gardena.com/int/
Turns I have one in The Gambia but there are non In America LOL ;-)
Milko Berben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 07:08   #43

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Elsewhere View Post
There is a technique for coiling a vinyl hose without kinking. Most such hoses have a contrasting colored line in them. You simply lay it out on the dock in a straight line, and then coil it while twisting so that the line in the hose stays straight instead of spiraling around the hose. The hose will develop memory of being in this position which makes it easier to handle.
This^^^^
Been using the white "RV" drinking water safe hoses with the blue line in them for 18 years. They do not impart any taste to the water. We have two 50' lengths stored in a deck locker, not exposed to sun. After each use, I drain the hose, coil per above, screw the ends together and return to the locker - they're never left in the sun. 50' will become an 18" diameter coil about 5" tall. I expect to get another 18 years out of them.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 07:17   #44

I love my Bullet Hose (https://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Hose-C...62206916&psc=1). Available at Home Depot too. Thought it was gimmicky but it's compact. Does not coil as neatly as a rigid hose but very good. Doesn't kink easily and stores compactly.
mqbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 07:33   #45

Try these type of expandable hoses. Brilliant!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/20185900982...b1b636fff8db6f
pdstokes is offline   Reply With Quote