Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2018, 07:17   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Re: FYI: New Danfoss BD35/50 Control Module

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
Pete, I do not know what manufacturers compressor you use in your Ozefreeze unit but Danfoss GmbH started in 1956 and did not go out of business only changed their name to Secop GmbH. They are still a leading manufacture of compressors.

Soft start modules are generally not requires on Danfoss compressors with conventional capillary tube refrigerant flow control.

Also to ad to what Richard noted . The Danfoss BD35/50 series compressors will not start if there is more then a 75 psi difference between the high side and low side.

Regards John.
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 07:47   #32
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
Do you supply the anti-surge suppressor? Or do you have a component reference so I can get one locally?
Hi Poiu, travelling today but will post part number of transient voltage suppressor and fit instructions when I return to my office. They are available worldwide from outlets like RS parts and only cost about $2.
I will also find and post the letter from Danfoss received about eight years ago (2010) when they announced their disposing of compressor manufacture to Secop.

Cheers OzePete
OzePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 08:33   #33
Marine Service Provider

Pete, News release April 2017
Secop had been known as Danfoss Compressors GmbH, a subsidiary of the Danfoss Group until it was acquired by Aurelius in 2010. Since its foundation in 1956, Secop has provided compressors and associated services in the area of food cooling. Under Aurelius’s management, Secop acquired ACC Austria GmbH in 2014. Today, Secop is a leader in the European market for household refrigeration compressors and Secop is global leader in light commercial and DC refrigeration compressors. Secop’s slim-type, variable-speed compressors allow refrigerators to have a larger storage space and energy-efficient features.

Pete, I am sure your readers are as interested as I am as to the engineering design manufacturer of your compressor.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 15:10   #34
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzePete View Post
Hi Poiu, travelling today but will post part number of transient voltage suppressor and fit instructions when I return to my office. They are available worldwide from outlets like RS parts and only cost about $2.
I will also find and post the letter from Danfoss received about eight years ago (2010) when they announced their disposing of compressor manufacture to Secop.

Cheers OzePete
Hi Poiu,
The Transient Voltage Clamp we use is a P6KE33CA - TVS Diode, P6KE3 Series, Bidirectional, 28.2 V, 45.7 V, DO-204AC, 2 Pins.
Available from Element 14, RS Parts and most likely from other electronics people. Simply connect across the DC supply.
We and ColdEh fit these standard but doubt if others do so good idea to fit one anyway as they do offer a level of protection. BTW, with one fitted to the fridge power supply there is some protection to all other devices connected to the same DC supply. At Ozefridge we have seen a big reduction in motor driver failure since fitting these as standard.

Cheers, OzePete Ozefridge | 12 Volt Refrigeration Systems
Old 27-02-2018, 15:36   #35

Boat: Oyster 66

Super. Thanks a lot.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 16:00   #36
cruiser

Quote:
Pete, News release April 2017
Secop had been known as Danfoss Compressors GmbH, a subsidiary of the Danfoss Group until it was acquired by Aurelius in 2010. Since its foundation in 1956, Secop has provided compressors and associated services in the area of food cooling. Under Aurelius’s management, Secop acquired ACC Austria GmbH in 2014. Today, Secop is a leader in the European market for household refrigeration compressors and Secop is global leader in light commercial and DC refrigeration compressors. Secop’s slim-type, variable-speed compressors allow refrigerators to have a larger storage space and energy-efficient features.

Pete, I am sure your readers are as interested as I am as to the engineering design manufacturer of your compressor.

Richard, you and I both know that in 2010 Danfoss ceased making compressors to focus on other aspects of their business. (Go to the Danfoss web site and search BD35! Quote: "No results found for BD35"
The development and manufacture of Danfoss compressors BY DANFOSS as we knew it stopped in 2010. Secop since and still continue to manufacture a similar product mostly in China, and in our opinion a better product than when Danfoss were Danfoss! At least, and at long last, Secop are addressing the massive problem of motor driver failure with the introduction of a soft start driver and improved protection.

When Danfoss announced their intention to stop manufacture in 2010 we couldn't have been happier! Due to the failure rate of their electronic drivers, we were near to stopping production as the cost was killing us and also we found them a very difficult company to deal with. Their closure gave us the impetus to come up with a better solution and that we have albeit a costly but rewarding project.
We imported many various DC compressor/ motor drivers to trial, with most failing. Eventually we realised that the big issue, as always, was the motor driver (Electronic Unit) While most were well made they failed when conditions were extreme or faced with outside issues like voltage drop on start up due to current rush being DOL (direct on line start), voltage spikes, overheating or processor corruption etc.

We involved Trisan Australia's engineers (leading electronics innovators), a compressor manufacturer and our engineer to develop the Ozefridge system.
This took years but has resulted in a far superior and reliable compressor package that is a variable speed 3 phase motor driven 3.5cc pump with a solid state, soft start electronic driver that has spike, overheat, over / under voltage, over current, start delay, incorrect polarity and conformal coating to protect itself! The electronic driver is air cooled in all applications.

We have used the soft start driver for several years now and along with spike protection we have seen motor driver failures almost eliminated. So hopefully Secop product users will see similar benefits.

Old 28-02-2018, 03:03   #37

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzePete View Post
Hi Poiu,
The Transient Voltage Clamp we use is a P6KE33CA - TVS Diode, P6KE3 Series, Bidirectional, 28.2 V, 45.7 V, DO-204AC, 2 Pins.
Available from Element 14, RS Parts and most likely from other electronics people. Simply connect across the DC supply.
We and ColdEh fit these standard but doubt if others do so good idea to fit one anyway as they do offer a level of protection. BTW, with one fitted to the fridge power supply there is some protection to all other devices connected to the same DC supply. At Ozefridge we have seen a big reduction in motor driver failure since fitting these as standard.

These things are 12 US cents each bought in quantity and can save a $200 component. Why do you suppose Secop are not installing them or recommending them? It seems mad.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 03:34   #38

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Getting back to Rich's initial post.

We recieved one of the updated controllers over a year ago when I ordered a replacement for one killed in a lightening strike. So far, it has been operating in our fridge for over a year with no issues.

As to repairing the old one. I no longer have it, but I'm pretty sure I tried to take it apart. If I remember correctly, it was potted and there was no way to disassemble it completely.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 08:56   #39
Marine Service Provider

Pete, I have subscribed to Danfoss News Releases for many years and I can see how you are confused. After Danfoss GmbH changed its name to Secop, Nidec Acquired Secop Group (Secop Holding GmbH and Other 3 Entities), a German Compressor Manufacturer.
The Danfoss German engineered BD compressors are still available with Danfoss new name Secop/Danfoss Holding GmbH. And Yes as far as I know all there small 12/24 volt compressor are built in china. OEM system builders can still purchase Danfoss engineered BD compressors in pallets of quantizes 25 and 50.
I was unable to locate the Engineering or manufacturer of your compressor.

Soft start modules were available From Danfoss for years and are not required on small and correctly installed systems. Module failures result from heat and dirty electrical boat power. Danfoss latest module may solve the module overheat failures.
Old 28-02-2018, 11:08   #40
cruiser

Quote:
Pete, I have subscribed to Danfoss News Releases for many years and I can see how you are confused. After Danfoss GmbH changed its name to Secop, Nidec Acquired Secop Group (Secop Holding GmbH and Other 3 Entities), a German Compressor Manufacturer.
The Danfoss German engineered BD compressors are still available with Danfoss new name Secop/Danfoss Holding GmbH. And Yes as far as I know all there small 12/24 volt compressor are built in china. OEM system builders can still purchase Danfoss engineered BD compressors in pallets of quantizes 25 and 50.
I was unable to locate the Engineering or manufacturer of your compressor.

Soft start modules were available From Danfoss for years and are not required on small and correctly installed systems. Module failures result from heat and dirty electrical boat power. Danfoss latest module may solve the module overheat failures.
In 2010 after incurring massive losses as compressor manufacturers, Denmark company Danfoss ceased compressor manufacture with the sale of that sector to others. Quote: "In 2010 Munich-based industrial holding company Aurelius AG acquired Danfoss Compressors GmbH from the Danfoss Group, Denmark. The agreement to take over the Danfoss Compressor business was signed in July 2010"
I can see where there would be commercial advantages for the new owners to continue the Danfoss name but what happened on 2010 is what happened regardless of the spin they want to put on it now.

Back to the OP thread, do you have a part number for the soft start module you mention as quote "available From Danfoss for years"

Cheers, OzePete
Old 28-02-2018, 12:56   #41
Marine Service Provider

Danfoss hard start module for BD50 compressors are 101N230 and 231

BD 35 compressors do not need hard start modules.

If you want the hard start modules for the older BD 2.5 I would need to look back to the 1990s. specs.

I found when hired by a builder with an order of 50 refrigerators to meet high operating temperature specification even the Danfoss hard start modules internal delay was too quick so a ten second delay had to be added allowing compressor to stabilize at 1950 rpm before completing safety circuit boot up run.

Now I am confused. Are you still holding on to fact fact that all 12/24 volt Secod/ Danfoss engineered compressors are no longer available for purchase in the USA. If they are not the same compressor, What changes have the Chinese made to the original Danfoss compressor’s design other than soft ware inside the latest module.

I will ask again what manufacturers compressor is your company using?
Old 28-02-2018, 14:51   #42
cruiser

Quote:
Danfoss hard start module for BD50 compressors are 101N230 and 231

BD 35 compressors do not need hard start modules. Richard! We were discussing SOFT start modules and you claimed that Danfoss had a soft start module years ago!

If you want the hard start modules for the older BD 2.5 I would need to look back to the 1990s. specs. Again we were discussing SOFT start modules particularly their use by Secop in future.

To help understanding the difference, here is an explanation: Most of these modules are either 'Direct On Line' DOL or now 'Soft Start'. DOL means that when starting the motor, it's electrical module and all power supply items are hit momentarily with a current rush some 7 to 10 times greater than the normal run current. This puts a major strain on all involved.
Soft start means that when starting the motor, it does so slowly ramping up voltage over several seconds with the current rate staying below the normal run rate. This eliminates the stressful whack of current that DOL motors and modules have to endure and this obviously provides greater longevity of all components involved.

I found when hired by a builder with an order of 50 refrigerators to meet high operating temperature specification even the Danfoss hard start modules internal delay was too quick so a ten second delay had to be added allowing compressor to stabilize at 1950 rpm before completing safety circuit boot up run. Richard, again we are discussing SOFT starting modules not modules with start delay!

Now I am confused. Are you still holding on to fact fact that all 12/24 volt Secod/ Danfoss engineered compressors are no longer available for purchase in the USA. If they are not the same compressor, What changes have the Chinese made to the original Danfoss compressor’s design other than soft ware inside the latest module. Again Richard, I never said the Danfoss / Secop compressor was not available!! My comment was to correct your claim that Denmark company Danfoss still manufacture Danfoss refrigeration compressors because they DONT!

I will ask again what manufacturers compressor is your company using?In post 6 I described how the Ozefridge compressor / motor driver (module) and control mechanisms evolved. The very successful end result come at a hefty cost to us and therefore we have no intention of exposing this commercial information.

Richard you may also be interested in trials we are doing driving older BD35, 50 & 80 compressors with our module that has soft start and external transient voltage clamp. If successful this could save users 100's of dollars.
Cheers OzePete Ozefridge | 12 Volt Refrigeration Systems
Old 28-02-2018, 16:15   #43
Marine Service Provider

I give up, it appears we have a nomenclature problem Hard start compressor electronic module is designed to slowly apply power softly.

Voltage Clamp is not an electrical term I am aware of. Is this a Zener Diode circuit?

I was aware that Danfoss BD compressor and and other 12/24 compressors were manufactured in China, do you see a problem with this?

I also understand why you want to keep your design proprietary. I believe knowledge of a boaters equipment changes expendable units to repairable operating units.
Old 04-06-2018, 16:27   #44
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougtiff View Post
Something not mentioned is the new electronics modules ramp up slowly, instead of hitting it with full voltage, which as I understand it was the real problem.
Hi Doug,
I missed this post of yours so would like to ask if the current Secop motor driver modules are 'soft start' We don't have access to Secop drivers to do some tests ourselves but from what you quoted here it appears as though they are and that would solve a lot of problems. Can you confirm? Thanks.

Otherwise it would be appreciated if someone using Secop could check and verify if they are still DOL or now hopefully soft start.

Cheers OzePete Ozefridge | 12 Volt Refrigeration Systems
Old 04-06-2018, 17:10   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Funny thing is my 2 danfoss units were the only thing to survive a big lightning hit years ago ! As one unit died this year I went on ebay and found a guy in Slovenia who sold me one of the new 212 units for 105Euro don't know what the exchange rate is but he only charged me 6 euros to ship it to Thailand ... Nice bloke.