Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2015, 23:28   #301

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Fresh water makers best price and performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Actually stuM I think he said it correctly amps per hour due to the fact of already stating the quantity at a1 gallon per hour.
See, that's the problem when people use sloppy wording all the time. People misunderstand what they are talking about.
Once more: Please read the linked post.

He stated it wrongly.
He could have said:

The Amps for that for that should be pretty darned good.
or
The Amp hours per hour for that should be pretty darned good.

and been correct, but Amps per hour is a measure of the change in rate of current flow. 1 Amp per hour means that your Amperage is 1 higher at the end of an hour, 2 higher at the ned of two hours etc...

On a constantly running water maker, the Amps per hour (i.e. the rate of change in Amps) would be effectively Zero.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 00:57   #302
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
See, that's the problem when people use sloppy wording all the time. People misunderstand what they are talking about.
Once more: Please read the linked post.

He stated it wrongly.
He could have said:

The Amps for that for that should be pretty darned good.
or
The Amp hours per hour for that should be pretty darned good.

and been correct, but Amps per hour is a measure of the change in rate of current flow. 1 Amp per hour means that your Amperage is 1 higher at the end of an hour, 2 higher at the ned of two hours etc...

On a constantly running water maker, the Amps per hour (i.e. the rate of change in Amps) would be effectively Zero.
Funny part is you keep trying to fix what ain't broke everyone else seems to understand what he said and inferred with his post just like everywhere else you have shown everyone else your book learning and it seems to be centered on " proper labels for power usages " .
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:03   #303
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here's a better idea for a solar power still don't know the output but it uses 0 ah
How to Make a Solar Still - DIY - MOTHER EARTH NEWS
Old 01-11-2015, 04:43   #304

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Here's a better idea for a solar power still don't know the output but it uses 0 ah
How to Make a Solar Still - DIY - MOTHER EARTH NEWS

I think every cruiser should be able to fashion a still for emergency use- as well as be able to divert rainwater into tank.
But I imagine a still would put out 1-2 gpd at most. The real estate for a still would likely yield a fraction of output of same area solar + watermaker, right?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:15   #305
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Way too many good posts to quote them all but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Good thing I turned my cell phone off last night or that would have been one funny wake up email notification from the Cruisers Forum...ha ha ha...
Hi Ho Hi Ho...off to finish my boat's bottom paint today I go....
I'm guessing you're beat from hulling it work... and therefore have your phone off again???

Time difference is great for business, but SUCKS for sports... I hate starting a baseball game at 21:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I see how you operate................

Selective butt kissing I can do... I'm fairly shameless....

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
er............
I tried that on my boat with guests........

" Pull in the Halyard"
" eh?~"

"Pull the red rope~"
"Do you mean the red rope or the white rope with a red line in it?~"

" Can you come here and hold the wheel while I do it?
" You mean the steering wheel?~"

HA! Nice...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:22   #306
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
I think every cruiser should be able to fashion a still for emergency use- as well as be able to divert rainwater into tank.
But I imagine a still would put out 1-2 gpd at most. The real estate for a still would likely yield a fraction of output of same area solar + watermaker, right?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Yes a solar panel and water maker would yeald more water per'sq ft of space used on a vessel also there are several plans on the web on making colapsable'solar stills for water desalination there is even a commercially available unit for emergency use.
Old 05-11-2015, 19:23   #307
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I always like to look at the comparisons. As my Mom used to say "The devil is in the details" or the numbers in this case. First, to be fair, Katadyn hasn't made the 35e for a long time. It is now the 40e, which can also be operated manually in emergencies.. The 40e produces 1.6gph using 2.5 amp so slightly more efficient. Of course these numbers simply double for the 80e which is a better comparison to the 20 lph unit. The 80e is still slightly more efficient than the 20lph unit. But to be honest these power numbers are so small in difference to not really mean much of anything in the real world and the types of boats these small units would be installed in. But even these power numbers are quite high when compared to a Spectra 150. Katadyn offers a three year warranty, I didn't notice on a cursory glance what H2O on the Go offers. The Katadyn 40e and 80e are going to be more money to be sure. But they've been around a lot longer than most watermaker companies. I only wish the very best for any small company, but I've been in this business for a long time. I've seen a lot of new watermaker companies come and go. The usual theme for many of them is "We can build and sell it cheaper" This is a very tough business model to maintain for the long run in the watermaker business. I know I spend a lot more time in phone calls, service, repairs, and hand holding, than I do in sales. Something for both the customer and new business to consider when trying to save a dollar.

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
I guess if people want to pay double because someone has been in business for a while I guess that is their prerogative, I agree watermarks are an expensive purchase.

I did do my research and H2O on the Go has been in water makers for 5 years now so that is long enough to work out the kinks in my book, and if they can make them half the price, thats brilliant.

Lets face it at the end of the day there is not much in a water maker, they are dead simple units, not complicated equipment. All the parts in the H2O on the Go systems are just standard RO parts that can be purchased pretty much anywhere in the world.

The pump in the 110/240v is made by general pump USA (5 year warranty) and the pump in the 12v is made by Pumptec USA (1 year warranty).

I did my homework before purchasing 2 machines and found that the parts they use are the same as those used by most RO manufacturers all over the world.

I asked why they are half the price, whats the catch, and they said it is because they refuse to have a distribution network, they manufacture and sell direct.

Talking direct with the manufacturer and not some reseller who may or may not of even used a water maker (not saying this is you Tellie) is a great bonus. My machines are not out of the box types of machines I had a number of changes made, another bonus of dealing direct with manufacturer.

So I would not write them off so quickly as a new company that can not stay in business with these prices. And as for hand holding ring them 7 days a week and they will spend an hour on the phone or Skype with you no problems at all, for me they actually made me a few videos as my unit was not their standard unit so was slightly different from their manual. They are worth a look I recon.
H2O on the Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 19:44   #308
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Tellie sounds like you hit a nerve with them their post sounds a bit like a service provider specificly of the h2o on the go units.
Old 05-11-2015, 19:50   #309
cruiser

Quote:
Tellie sounds like you hit a nerve with them their post sounds a bit like a service provider specificly of the h2o on the go units.
Nope Newhaul defo not a service provide of any type. just a retired hippy, a super happy H2O on the Go customer and sharer of knowledge the people can read or not.
Sent them this thread told them they should do some advertising here and speak for themselves.
H2O on the Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 01:00   #310

Boat: Endeavourcat 30

Has anyone tried one of these with a pressure saltwater pump.

http://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-ygmfm/...0.1280.JPG?c=2

http://www.filteredwatersolutions.co...verse-osmosis/

If so, do they work?
CapnBazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 06:02   #311
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBazza View Post
Like asking a newborn to win a triathlon ...

Or a skiff to tow a tanker...

Simply not possible...

Old 27-12-2015, 06:35   #312
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBazza View Post
Nope
Those are fresh water RO, which is not the same thing as sea water Desalination RO. Fresh water RO uses tap pressures of around 45-65psi. But sea water desal RO needs pressures around 800psi to overcome the osmotic pressure and force fresh water through the membrane.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 08:12   #313

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Just curious about "H20 to Go". It is unusual for a fellow cruiser/post to pick a handle that is the same as a company name that markets to cruisers unless said poster actually is related (distributor, spouse, owner, employee) to said company. Perhaps it's just a coincidence.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 08:23   #314
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
Just curious about "H20 to Go". It is unusual for a fellow cruiser/post to pick a handle that is the same as a company name that markets to cruisers unless said poster actually is related (distributor, spouse, owner, employee) to said company. Perhaps it's just a coincidence.
I would say that coincidences are fairly rare MD...

Old 29-12-2015, 03:36   #315
vjm

Does anyone have any experience with the Ecosistems unit that seems to be manual? I am looking for manual only options (hate the engine, small boat so limited solar array area, enjoy the exercise, low water needs and wants), and it would be nice to have another option.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
price, water