Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2017, 04:48   #1

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Electric heads question

For those of you with electric heads, when you evacuate the contents of the bowl to the macerator, and then refill your bowl, is the water clear?

Mine always retail some remnants of whatever was evacuated and needs to be refreshed. I suppose I need one of those switches that brings water in whilst the contents are being taken care of.

Another issue I have noted, is that the bowl tends to fill from the rear meaning any liquids or other marks towards the front of the bowl are not washed away.

It's a Dometic Masterflush series head I have, but I presume many act in the same way.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:33   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Electric heads question

We have a different head but also electric. Under normal circumstances, the flush water is introduced at the back of the bowl and dispensed all around the upper rim through a gallery with perforations every few inches or so. If yours isn't doing that, you may have an accumulation of salt or debris in the bowl rim. If so, you can disconnect the feed line to the bowl and introduce a cleaning solution such as SaltAway or Barnacle Buster into the rim manually and then flush with fresh water from a garden hose. The process may take several cycles before the rim gallery is cleaned out.

As to flow back into the bowel--you may need to replace the joker valve.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:13   #3

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

I have a Vacuflush. Key is to ensure there is plenty of water in the bowl before you go.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:23   #4

Well yes, but there might be plenty of water in the bowl. You might have a heavy night drinking or so, then have quite concentrated urine the next morning. Empty the bowl, but there is always a few ml of liquid that needs more water to get past the macerator. It's not that there is any back flow. That would be bad considering its a new unit.

Basically the macerator doesn't push once it starts sucking up air so needs more water to get rid of last remnants of whatever is in the bowl.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:31   #5
Marine Service Provider

Sounds like you're just not flushing long enough to clear the bowl completely. Even more likely if the flush has to make it up and over a vented loop in the toilet discharge line, but any uphill run to the tank (assuming you have one) will add to the time needed to flush.

If your toilet doesn't have a flush button or panel that allows you to bring in flush water and hold it ahead of use, adding water to the bowl with a cup from the sink ahead of use will solve your bowl cleansing issue.

Flush water should enter bowl through holes all the way around the the rim. If it's only coming into through the ones in the back of the bowl, you may have pulled in some seaweed or other sea life that's created a blockage in the rim. That's assuming the toilet is a sea water toilet. If it's a toilet designed to use fresh water from the onboard supply, you need to have a chat with Dometic about all this. In fact, I suggest you do so anyway because the toilet is new and there could be installation problems. Meanwhile, I suggest you spend a little time with the owners manual that, since the toilet is new, you should still have. If not you can download one from the Dometic website.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:14   #6

Cheers.

It's freshwater. The more expensive models use the same system but come with a control panel that has a dry flush (i.e empty whatever is in the bowl), a fill, and a flush button (this adds water while emptying the contents). Mine only has the first two buttons.

I guess I can either spring for the 'special' control panel (about $200) or study the diagrams and make one.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:34   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

All of my electric heads (I've had both Jabsco and Raritan) do what you describe.

I don't know why. I presume there is some kind of recirculation going on.

I find it helps to flush a while, then stop. Then resume flushing, and the flush water clears up.

Since I mostly discharge directly (it's allowed where I am), it just means extra flushing, which is no big deal, but when we're using the holding tank, it eats up capacity.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:57   #8
Marine Service Provider

In that case, just add 2-3 beer cups of water from the sink ahead of use. Costs a lot less than $200 and works just as well.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, head