Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2018, 13:02   #91
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Do all toilets require holding tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptFigmo View Post
I love the idea of locking valves on the boat when I am the only one on the vessel and have the key.
Oops. Here comes the potty police. Better put the lock back. Haaaaa.
and I am sure it does happen somewhere .

Another reason to go composting they don't even look at me anymore .
Old 24-09-2018, 14:37   #92

Boat: 43' Albin Sundeck

I only took time to read page 1 (I have newest on top set).

The gist of Marine Sanitation Devices is multi-teared.

In an NDZ (Non Discharge Zone) there is no discharge allowed. Notice the period. No by a Type 1 or any other type of MSD. In some jurisdictions, they would have you remove any piping and seal discharge ports. Vermont comes to mind with that 1.

Jurisdictions use an NDZ as a catch-all to solve the discharge rule. BTW, all of Lake Champlain is an NDZ, I believe.

In some areas, the state will allow for a Type 1 MSD (Raritan makes an excellent 1). We have 1 on our boat but as we are doing the northern part of the Loop we have turned that off but more importantly, have locked the discharge from that head to the holding tank, instead of the Type 1 (treat & discharge over the side). We have NO way to discharge from the holding tank so when we are full we get a pump out.

The other solution is a composting toilet, in some cases. There are areas that exclude them on the basis that you could use it on the boat and then on a clouded, moonless night you could dump the contents overboard. No one said that there was any good logic to any of this.

BTW, you also can't pee in a bucket and dump the bucket overboard but you can stand on the side and discharge yourself (be sure to wear you PFD as a great number of deaths occur with people peeing over the side-recovered with fly down and no PFD).

The whole thing is ridicules as farmers along the waterway dump tons of fertilizers, pesticides and manure onto the land which leeches into the water. Can you say algae bloom, the recreational boater is an easier target.

IF you want nightmares, pick the state you boat in and read the effluent laws for that area. IF you rally want fun, and you boat in multiple areas, check out the conflicts in this area by each state.

Certainly, most laws seemed to have been drafted by our non boating legislators taking into consideration that most registered boats are 26' and smaller, so everyone does there duty before they leave and probably don't stay out overnight. For those of us who are cruisers, no quarter given.

Take care, stay safe and keep your crap to yourself.
Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 14:42   #93
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I would get one to make sure you are in compliance with all the different, sometimes complex, laws regardless of where you go. Do you want to have to worry about it? I would take the peace of mind any day.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 15:26   #94

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossa View Post
Finland and Sweden require holding tanks,Finland since over 5 years ago, Sweden since 3 years ago. A good network of pump-out stations is available for those who want to follow the law. In Germany stations are increasing but few boaters seem to use them.
No discharge allowed but Sweden does not require you to have a holding tank.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 15:55   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
If you plan to flag the vessel as US, then it doesn't seem ambiguous:

US law applies to US vessels everywhere, not just in the US.
Why not plumb this head to the remaining holding tank?
Weeeell....if it's shut down and closed off, it's no longer a toilet. It's just a white beer cooler.
billdomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 19:16   #96

Quote:
If you plan to flag the vessel as US, then it doesn't seem ambiguous:

US law applies to US vessels everywhere, not just in the US.
Why not plumb this head to the remaining holding tank?
I have learned that just Zip Tie/Lock the Overboard Discharge Y Valve in the closed position-- Discharge offshore if you can't get a Pumpout.
Holeinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 03:42   #97

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeinwater View Post
I have learned that just Zip Tie/Lock the Overboard Discharge Y Valve in the closed position-- Discharge offshore if you can't get a Pumpout.
A direct-discharge toilet doesn't have a Y-valve, so the toilet can't possibly divert to a tank. The USCG calls that type of toilet illegal (see the sector 11 notice). A toilet with a Y-valve between it and the tank, allowing a direct-overboard discharge, apparently will pass if locked out, but as the West Marine advice says, it might cause problems when being inspected - up to the discretion of the coastie doing the inspection.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 05:25   #98
cruiser

Quote:
A direct-discharge toilet doesn't have a Y-valve, so the toilet can't possibly divert to a tank. The USCG calls that type of toilet illegal (see the sector 11 notice). A toilet with a Y-valve between it and the tank, allowing a direct-overboard discharge, apparently will pass if locked out, but as the West Marine advice says, it might cause problems when being inspected - up to the discretion of the coastie doing the inspection.
Our direct discharge toilets have a valve (seacock) which can be closed in order to divert waste into a holding tank. The system works via gravity.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 05:32   #99

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Our direct discharge toilets have a valve (seacock) which can be closed in order to divert waste into a holding tank. The system works via gravity.

As does ours.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 05:38   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithw88 View Post
What is a LEO?
As a moral point: surely no-one should ever think they can pump raw sewage into someone else's back yard?
Treat it, or get well offshore..
If Folks would just use common sense and not discharge in a Cove or other protected areas-- There would not be a issue..
I remember back in the days before Holding Tanks became mandatory and overnighting in a Cove IE: Hamburg Cove-- CT River..
In the Morning it would become a Cesspool-- Absolutely Disgusting.. I have always had a Holding Tank and if I couldn't get a Pump Out "Now That is Just a Hail Away" I would throw my Y-Valve to Overboard Discharge while underway out in the middle of the L.I. Sound and Macerate it Overboard..
That's just my 2 Cent Opinion..
Holeinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 06:30   #101
cruiser

There’s no way your cove could become a “cesspool absolutely disgusting” each morning from boaters, what an exageration. I’m presently in an ACI marina here in Croatia up a long channel with very little tide (13 inches). Over 400 boats and no pumpout station, the water is crystal clear and I can see fish swimming near the bottom. And I’d be willing to bet, nearly every toilet is direct discharge which the harbor mullets greatly appreciate.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 06:36   #102
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
please show a verifiable example where a boater was fined for having a properly secured non functioning direct discharge marine head.
Old 25-09-2018, 17:36   #103

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
A question of semantics. You have a toilet with a functioning Type III MSD, that has an optional overboard discharge. What I have been referring to as a "direct-discharge toilet" only empties overboard. Your system in US and Canadian waters would need to be locked out/zip-tied/or handle removed. In some of their waters, it would not be allowed unless the pipe between the toilet and seacock was removed. I suspect that depending on which US official does the inspection, it may cause problems - and West Marine apparently shares that concern.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding tank, oil, tanks