Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 13:47   #1

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'
CruiseAir A/C problem

I have CruiseAir air conditioning units on my boat. The unit in the forward cabin is a FX10, controlled by a SMX II unit that is mounted in the forward berth. Two other units elsewhere on the boat have the same set up. The SMX II unit allows for several fan speeds that control the volume of air. The speeds can be set to operate automatically via the SMX II unit. In this mode the fan is in high when the unit comes on, and as the cabin is cooled, the fan speed slows. The fan can also be controlled manually by pressing a soft key on the SMX II—each click generates a higher (or slower) fan speed.

In the forward cabinet the fan does not work. The unit does as cold air comes out from the duct. I don’t think it is the SMX II control unit, as I took it off and hooked it up (it is a plug-and-play unit) to an identical a/c unit in the salon and the fan speeds in that area could be controlled from the unit. I had a technician come who took the air handling unit a part and said it was the electric blower motor that was bad. He wanted $600 for a replacement for it and the squirrel cage fan.

I took the motor home and gave it 110 power, and it ran. It seems to have but one set of windings so I’m not sure how the speeds vary or are made to vary. But if the motor turns in response to 110V being applied, is it bad?

The CruiseAir motor is a FASCO Type UB 115V AC, 1/10th hp. The CruiseAir website has a substitute motor that indeed is close to $600 according to one of their wholesalers. I can get a Taylor Made type U63B1 on the internet for $200. Seems to be the same type of motor. Does anyone know if this motor would work?
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 14:19   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: CruiseAir A/C problem

Sounds more like the motor speed controller circuit board is bad. I don't know where it is, or even if there is one. I'd call CruiseAir and ask
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise