Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2016, 10:16   #16

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI
Re: Composting Heads

Thought I was done, but just couldn't walk away. I got into the CG rules,this is what I read,

33CFR159 and 159.5 toilets-------.
Type III devices,

1, Incinerating device.
2, recirculating device.
3, composting device.

Section 312
Portable toilets, using zero water or power etc

And ARE NOT considered " installed" toilets, and are NOT subject to the requirements of 33 CFR part 159.

CG does not certify or approve urnals for vessels.

And in my application 33CFR 159.12 {b} vessels manufactured before Jan 30 1975 are deemed certified.

Type III devices MUST comply with marine engineering 46 CRF subsection F.

My boats a 1970 model.

Am I reading this right, an installed type III, is legal, and isn't subject to inspection via CG rules.

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 12:16   #17

Boat: Rafiki 37

We go around a month (four to six weeks) between dumps with our Nature’s Head; two people, full time use. As newhaul says, a bit of sugar, and a good vinegar wash every once in a while cures any urine smell. And it only smells when being dumped. Never while in use.

As I often say, a composter does require you to be more intimate with your outflows. Flush and forget is easier, but unless you’re only spending time in anchorages with good flow, and no where within the coastal of many developed countries, then a holding tank is necessary. At that point you’re no longer flush and forgetting, which then makes a composter a better solution for small crews.

Interesting to note that it is completely illegal to dump within three miles of Canada or the USA. I often hear that Europe and the Med is the place to be for flush and forget, yet here is a website which lists a lot of countries over there which have restrictions.

Holding Tanks | Boating Abroad | Knowledge & Advice | Knowledge & Advice | RYA
Old 25-12-2016, 13:02   #18

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI

I do not have a holding tank, my head is locked down for non use. I have a hard time believing a composting toilet could smell,any worse then some of the boats I've been on utilizing holding tanks.

I'm a hundred yards from the shore crapper,,where I'm moored, a minor Distance to walk, in my mind.

I also can see the EPA continue to abuse their powers via administrative rules, it's just a matter of time before composting toilets become the industry standard. If your not the govt, your not going to be exempt.

In my mind a doot, or composted, no brainier for my needs. Weight reduction and practical application.

Didn't know about the sugar interesting.

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 12:31   #19

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

I also have a Nature's Head and there is no smell at all. I don't add sugar to the urine bottle, but I have a spray bottle of 30%vinegar/70% water that we use to mist the bowl after each use. The vinegar drips down into the urine bottle and keeps any odors in check. I would never consider anything but a composting toilet on my boat.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, posting