Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2011, 17:45   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Barbs leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj_whitten View Post
Is there any way to stop wasp from building nest in your through hull?
Nope...your only defense is to check out and scrape out the vent thru-hull EVERY time you come to the boat until their nesting season ends around July.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 19:36   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Well some people buy fine mesh, as in mosquito netting and cover the opening. Personally, I've never found it a serious enough problem. I'm more likely to find a wasp nest under the sail cover. When a vent becomes clogged, I blow it out with a hose barb connected to a garden hose. Very quick, very simple. I do use a controllable fitting on the end of the garden hose to gradually build up the pressure. It doesn't take much.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 21:15   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor
Well some people buy fine mesh, as in mosquito netting and cover the opening. Personally, I've never found it a serious enough problem. I'm more likely to find a wasp nest under the sail cover. When a vent becomes clogged, I blow it out with a hose barb connected to a garden hose. Very quick, very simple. I do use a controllable fitting on the end of the garden hose to gradually build up the pressure. It doesn't take much.

Rich
I was thinking about the mesh idea but I cannot see how to fit it and make it look professionally done instead of rigged on, and also if there could be a removable one in case something builds up in the tubing (which I doubt) and clogs the tubes.

I just bought this boat and can see that the previous owners had troubles with the wasp coming in the thru-hull and working their way through the sink drain. Those that made it in made nest under the sink and second step. The ones who where lazy went in half way and made nest that clogged the drain hose. As a former cell tower technician here in FL I know there's slot of wasp here and expect the problem to keep occurring in the hose unless I block it. They cannot get into the cabin through the drain anymore due to the new sink I put in w/ a tiny opening. Also I can just press the button and stop all insects and water back flow into the sink.

I heard people talking about scuppers and assume thru-hulls and scuppers are near the same thing. I googled it and saw pictures of thru-hulls that have a door that let's water out but stops back flow. This could work as long as Tyne boat isn't tilted to the side where the scupper is. Also if the wasp are not smart enough to figure how to move the door (if it's not flush, or weighted). There is a ball scupper as well which I think would work better however I don't see how I can tie it into my current system. Although they would be great for the self bailing holes in the cockpit.
rj_whitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 21:34   #19

Also my apologies for the misspelled words, I'm using the iPad and the auto-correct is changing words while I type them quickly. So I end up not seeing them change.
Old 25-03-2011, 21:44   #20

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj_whitten View Post
I was thinking about the mesh idea but I cannot see how to fit it and make it look professionally done instead of rigged on, and also if there could be a removable one in case something builds up in the tubing (which I doubt) and clogs the tubes.

I just bought this boat and can see that the previous owners had troubles with the wasp coming in the thru-hull and working their way through the sink drain. Those that made it in made nest under the sink and second step. The ones who where lazy went in half way and made nest that clogged the drain hose. As a former cell tower technician here in FL I know there's slot of wasp here and expect the problem to keep occurring in the hose unless I block it. They cannot get into the cabin through the drain anymore due to the new sink I put in w/ a tiny opening. Also I can just press the button and stop all insects and water back flow into the sink.

I heard people talking about scuppers and assume thru-hulls and scuppers are near the same thing. I googled it and saw pictures of thru-hulls that have a door that let's water out but stops back flow. This could work as long as Tyne boat isn't tilted to the side where the scupper is. Also if the wasp are not smart enough to figure how to move the door (if it's not flush, or weighted). There is a ball scupper as well which I think would work better however I don't see how I can tie it into my current system. Although they would be great for the self bailing holes in the cockpit.
If it is a sink drain they're coming in through, put a seacock on it and keep it closed when you're off the boat. Doubles as the safety feature of keeping water out of the boat if the hose breaks or falls off while heeled over sailing or waves hitting it.

Interesting I've never seen a sailboat with sink drains above the waterline, only powerboats.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 21:58   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john

If it is a sink drain they're coming in through, put a seacock on it and keep it closed when you're off the boat. Doubles as the safety feature of keeping water out of the boat if the hose breaks or falls off while heeled over sailing or waves hitting it.

Interesting I've never seen a sailboat with sink drains above the waterline, only powerboats.

John
There is already a seacock on it however I would like to keep it open as the automatic bilge pump is connected to it as well I thought of closing the seacock while I have it on land however. Also the thru-hull is below the waterline when the boat is fully loaded but sits out of the water most of time. As the boat is not loaded with much.
Old 25-03-2011, 22:05   #22

I found a check valve that will fit into my setup I wonder if it can stop wasp from going in as well.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CIUBEPMCMAA

Tags
leaks