Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2016, 00:39   #16

Re: Anyone Using this Hose?

Not sure about that particular brand but love them.
- Automatically drains
- Takes up almost no space
- Doesn't fight you like a regular coiled up hose does when you are using it.

Downsides:
- Don't leave them out in the sun. The covers on most are not UV stabilized. A summer in the sun and they will be toast (but they are so much easier to stow...you can actually stow them)
- You WILL DIE if you run drinking water thru them...opps, I'm sure all the garden hose drinking I did as a kid already has me done in, so I'll risk it.

We previously tried the flat roll up hose...it was a pain to get to roll back up into it's reel. Eventually, I threw out the reel but then you were still dealing with 50' of hose flopping around. These new ones shrink dow to about 10' so easier to corral.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:14   #17

my expensive show bought one died after a few months. split in the middle. next time I'll just search ebay first
packeteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:54   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Thanks for all the replies.

My takeaway from all this is that hoses are truly a PITA, and that there isn't any good solution!

I did more reading on the hoses referenced in the first post, and there are many accounts of their exploding or falling apart.

I am starting to think that I need to go back to my original solution, which was a normal hose on a reel, despite the bulk. Bleh.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:33   #19

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

My takeaway from all this is that hoses are truly a PITA, and that there isn't any good solution!

I did more reading on the hoses referenced in the first post, and there are many accounts of their exploding or falling apart.

I am starting to think that I need to go back to my original solution, which was a normal hose on a reel, despite the bulk. Bleh.
Dockhead I carry 2 x 20 meters coiled separately. Why 2? easier to store and handle with each being only 20 meters. I've found that 40 meters usually gets me where I want to go.

I've tried the flat hoses and either I'm tougher on them than they are designed to be or else they are carp. I believe they are carp.

No easy solution - buy at bigger watermaker then you won't have to get water from the pier

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:43   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Dockhead I carry 2 x 20 meters coiled separately. Why 2? easier to store and handle with each being only 20 meters. I've found that 40 meters usually gets me where I want to go.

I've tried the flat hoses and either I'm tougher on them than they are designed to be or else they are carp. I believe they are carp.

No easy solution - buy at bigger watermaker then you won't have to get water from the pier
Carrying your hosage in pieces is a very good idea.

But still -- how do you coil loose normal hose, without kinking it? I am not able to. Maybe for a while when the hose is very new, but eventually it develops kinky places, and becomes a mess to coil. In my experience, anyway.

Concerning watermakers -- in Northern Europe, where water is available everywhere, and is free, and clean, I don't need one and couldn't justify buying one. The longest passage I ever make is three days and nights, and my tankage is good for about a week of reasonably careful usage in any case. This will change when I go further afield, but not this year. Anyway, having a watermaker doesn't get you out of hose ownership -- there are million uses for a hose besides filling the tanks.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 02-03-2016, 03:04   #21

I use one of these. It feels like a normal hose when in use. Sometimes a pain to get all of the water out, but I'm happy with it

http://www.sheridanmarine.com/produc...hose-on-a-reel
Old 02-03-2016, 03:09   #22

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Carrying your hosage in pieces is a very good idea.

But still -- how do you coil loose normal hose, without kinking it? I am not able to. Maybe for a while when the hose is very new, but eventually it develops kinky places, and becomes a mess to coil. In my experience, anyway.

Concerning watermakers -- in Northern Europe, where water is available everywhere, and is free, and clean, I don't need one and couldn't justify buying one. The longest passage I ever make is three days and nights, and my tankage is good for about a week of reasonably careful usage in any case. This will change when I go further afield, but not this year. Anyway, having a watermaker doesn't get you out of hose ownership -- there are million uses for a hose besides filling the tanks.
gee - I don't know. I just coil it an it stays coiled. Mine is just normal 1/2" green garden hose. Cheap and easy to replace if it goes turtle (never has) A couple of Garena quick couplers and it becomes 40 meters.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:41   #23

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
I use one of these. It feels like a normal hose when in use. Sometimes a pain to get all of the water out, but I'm happy with it

http://www.sheridanmarine.com/produc...hose-on-a-reel
Same here. I really like mine too. Even if it has sent me to the ER twice in one day. Word of advice; Don't try and remove the end fittings with wood chisels. They don't budge.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:44   #24
CLOD

Boat: none

You know, it's just a cheap hose. Is long life an important feature of it? Far as I've concerned the convenience of the expandable hose is worth having to replace every 1-2 years.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:34   #25

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
You know, it's just a cheap hose. Is long life an important feature of it? Far as I've concerned the convenience of the expandable hose is worth having to replace every 1-2 years.
Ditto. I sprung for a pricey 30' model from target w brass fittings (it shrinks down & takes up less than 6" in the bottom of a bucket in the lazarette). Think the hose was less than $20. Soooo much easier to handle (and stow) the collapsible type than an old timey, stiff green garden hose. Especially 30' of old timey, stiff green garden hose.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:38   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Well, not so cheap. The 20 meter one costs about $80 over here.

But I still wouldn't mind if they would last at least two years. But will they last even that? Sound like they just blow up on a lot of people quite quickly.
Walt Whitman
Old 02-03-2016, 05:48   #27

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

I had one of those, didn't last a season. the best one I've had so far was a flat hose that came on a real. Wind it out to use, then wind it back in when you're done.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:01   #28

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

After buying and discarding several different "stowable" hoses I finally settled on the same solution as Carstenb - sectional hoses. I bought the best quality 75' hose sold at the local home store that is certified for potable water. Then cut it in two and added quick release fittings on the cut ends. For filling my water tanks dockside one section is plenty. If I need more length I can just click the two sections together. Coil the sections just like you do cordage with a slight twist in each loop. I bought a couple of plastic cinches from WM that make securing the coils easier than using line and they have a handle for pulling the hose up from the bottom of a cockpit locker.
It's not high tech, nor is it a perfect solution, but I can live with it.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:46   #29
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

in the marinas in mexico in which i have spent any time, i have blown out heavy duty hoses. 5 in this marina in first year. ugh. i donot go near any thin walled hoses--they will last only part of a day. oops.
i want a nice heavy grey 100 ft heavy duty usa bought hose that lasted a year... would be a nice change, even with the mess in my bilges.
and ALL hoses here grow yukk in em. something about sunshine and hose guts....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:55   #30

Boat: a sailing boat

Not using this one but seen one leaking badly. An older unit.

I have used a Swedish flat hose (probably of a very similar design internally). It was very good and took next to no space. But it was brand new, can't say how they last.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote