Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2016, 13:05   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Anyone Using this Hose?

X-Hose:

Click image for larger version

Name:	xhosenew_base3.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	119882

XHose Expandable Hose

This looks like just the ticket, maybe.

Hoses are a PITA on board. I used to carry one on a cassette/reel. This worked well, kept the hose unkinked, was not expensive, easy to use, but very bulky. I got tired of it taking up so much space in the laz.

Then I bought a French flat fabric one, in a special squeegee flat very compact reel case. When you finished using it, you retracted it into the case, running it through squeegee rollers to press the water out. It was carp. Total PITA to get it back into its box, then after only one season it sprang a leak. It cost a lot of money, too.

So last summer I threw the leaky French expensive hose in the trash, and just bought a length of regular hose pipe. It's a PITA to roll up, kinks, doesn't store well, and I'm on the verge of tossing it.

Frustrating that such a banal little thing like a hose can cause so much trouble.

So what about the X-Hose? Anyone using that?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 13:12   #2

Boat: Albin Vega 27'
Re: Anyone Using this Hose?

A friend of mine had one for at least a couple of years, seemed to work well. He never complained about it.
Old 01-03-2016, 13:15   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S

The water carrying part is a very thin, very stretchy flexible tubing. Very, very, very easy to put a hole in. The cloth cover it supposed to take care of that, but for me it never has. Not a tight enough weave or strong enough material to prevent penetration. One errant cotter key, or edge or anything else moderately poke-y and you have a hole. Gave up after the third one, never had one last more than about six weeks. YMMV.

^^^^

As I was typing, see, there you go, YMMV. Think that will be about the same for this type of question on anything along these lines. You'll get some great reviews and some pans
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 13:31   #4

Not sure if the same brand, but one type of those fails regularly. maybe google it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 13:43   #5

Yes and I love it, have two for filling the water tanks. Unless you are super OCD, which I am, but fam is not. Putting 100' of hose back in any sort of neat fashion on the dock is a major PITA. It coils up just like line on a power pedestal. Stows easy in a cockpit locker, and is more or less self draining, a concern if you live where things freeze.

Down side as said above, smaller ID and flow, plus you need min pressure on it, other wise its like filling you tanks with a accordian.
Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 13:52   #6

"and is more or less self draining, a concern if you live where things freeze."

Also an issue where it is hot, grebbilys can start growing in the hose.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 13:53   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

I have one of those expandable hoses on the boat. Works great, takes up less space, is less trouble to get out and put away.
Old 01-03-2016, 13:59   #8
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington

Two points: If you read carefully they are not for potable water. When you are running water thru them with no resistance they partially collapse and restrict flow.
I had one at home to water flowers on front porch. Lasted one year before small leak.
RDW
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 14:03   #9

Food Quality Super Flat 20m Hose On A Cassette Camping/Motorhome/Caravan/Boat | eBay

Been watching this on evilbay for a while, still undecided.

Seem OK or are they rubbish? Expect being thin-wall it'd need careful cleaning while rolling it up after use - heavy duty hose I've got's annoyingly stiff to coil and always gritty as hell after dragging across the yard.
unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 14:05   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

I've seen quite a lot of those types in Australia in places like "The Reject Shop", "Crazy Harry's", "As seen on TV" etc.

There's a reason why they are sold in those discount places
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 14:07   #11

Boat: Beneteau First 42

We've gone through 3 of the xHoses so far. The first two the vendor replaced after numerous calls. The third a local retail vendor that began carrying them, but has discontinued doing so, replaced "as a courtesy". They all seem to fail in the same manner. A split in the inner tubing within a few feet of the hose bib connector. I released the end fitting and cut off the shell and liner inboard of the split on hose #3 and reconnected the fitting and it last another 1/2 dozen uses before splitting again at the mid-point. The idea is good but the execution poor. We have a 1/2" flat fabric hose that winds up on its own reel on the boat that we've had for 14 years. It continues to work reasonably well but it does kink and shut off the water flow easily. I thought the xHose was the fix but it hasn't proven to be. Several of the other fellows I know that also bought one have had similar experiences.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 14:36   #12

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

A couple guys on the dock have them for washing their boats and use them once a week. The ones they have use brass fittings on both ends, no plastic and no problems in 3 years.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 15:40   #13

I use a regular garden hose, coil it properly and tie a single string around it when stowed.

Seems to work fine.
cruisersfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 15:52   #14

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

I have been using one for 2 years. Super fast and easy to use and store. It takes up hardly any space. I will buy another when (if) it fails.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 15:54   #15

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60

Blew up 3. I have given up on them. But what a great idea. If they could only make one that lasts.
mikefp60 is offline   Reply With Quote