Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2015, 09:46   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 40, 2006
Volvo Sail Drive MS25S to MS25SR conversion and Spare Parts Design confusion

I have a Volvo Penta MS25S sail drive that needs to be reconfigured to an MS25SR Drive (why?...its a long story, with a disappointing ending so we won't go there). The point is I need to reverse the sail drive leg direction. On some sail drives this is a simple task and should be on a Volvo too, but as I am finding out, it is not.

I am trying to order the part required and it is vey confusing. The critical part is the replacement of the Part 43 on the Volvo schematics the "Intermediate Plate" which joins the sail drive leg to the transmission. Note the MS25S drive I have was originally in the standard configuration from the factory. The problem is that there are two potential replacement parts that are essentially the only part required to successfully reverse the direction of the SMS25S to a MS25SR Sail Drive leg.

1. Part 3583323 Cover ( MS25SR)
2. Part 3818296 Intermediate Plate ( MS25SR, Spare Part Design)

I have attached the Volvo Schematic and parts numbers in a PDF File.

There is a lot of confusion here because Volvo mechanics in Sweden say I only need part #1, the Volvo mechanics in Canada say I need part #2 and Part #1 will not do the job. I cannot find any references to what "Spare Part design" means, and since it is a special order part the Volvo Dealers will not take it back if it is the wrong part. To make maters worse the boat is in a remote location and needs to be properly reconfigured.

So I have two questions:
1.Has anyone got experience reversing a MS25S to a MS25SR and if so, what part did you order?
2. Can anyone tell me what the "Spare Part Design" means on the Volvo parts Schematics and parts ordering system?

The cost of these parts is not trivial, after all they are Volvo parts, so I need to get the correct part. Any assistance would be gratefully received.
Thanks
Rod
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MS25s to sr Conversion Parts.pdf (92.7 KB, 158 views)
Gliderpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 04:01   #2

Re: Volvo Sail Drive MS25S to MS25SR conversion and Spare Parts Design confusion

Hi, I had to replace broken lower gear cones on my ms25s. Did the maths and decided it was best to replace engine and saildrive. Engine was 13 years old and getting tired. I think it my be an option for you to consider unless you are an engineer. Best wishes
Gareth

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Gareth Thomas
jalfrezi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 04:03   #3

Re: Volvo Sail Drive MS25S to MS25SR conversion and Spare Parts Design confusion

Hi, I had to replace broken lower gear cones on my ms25s. Did the maths and decided it was best to replace engine and saildrive. Engine was 13 years old and getting tired. I think it my be an option for you to consider unless you are an engineer. Best wishes
Gareth

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Gareth Thomas
jalfrezi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts, sail, volvo