Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2008, 11:49   #1

Boat: nebe cape 28
props

Hi I have a 3 bladed prop and I am thinking of getting a 2 blade from performance prop from cdi I think they call it the perfect pitch has anyone used them ?
Old 24-05-2008, 04:14   #2

ok has anyone used these props?
Old 24-05-2008, 13:03   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Hi Wind,
No. What I do know is that the more blades a prop has, the less vibration that a prop has.

David

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2008, 14:02   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Please don't bump threads. It also helps if the subject is posted in the correct category, so please ensure you your post fits the forum.
More info is also required. I assume you are a sailboat?
WLL, Hp, gear ratio and weight are all required. What and why do you want to change. You could be gaining, you could be losing, it all depends on what you want to achieve.
More blades can make the prop feel "smoother". But they add more surface area and thus more Hp goes into turning them. So it is a case of more does not always give you more in return. It depends.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2008, 18:02   #5

Hi alan my boat is a nebe cape 28 it is a sail boat LWL 22.5 ft LOL 28ft dry wieght 9600lbs, motor farymann L30, not sure on the transmission there are no markings.I was looking to see is anyone has used the perfect pitch prop before, from cdi. there web site seemend interesting. in flat calm my boat will motor at 4.8 knts on the gps,go into a good head wind and I get 3knts not sure if that helps. I would like some feed back from anyone who has used the cdi thanks.
Old 25-05-2008, 16:15   #6

um no one has used them ho well
Old 26-05-2008, 00:45   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You may have to be a little more patient. There are well over 10,000 members of Crusiersforum and only 143 have looked at your post.

Old 26-05-2008, 02:50   #8

alan lighten up thats twice you have jumped me in one post. as for the cdi prop I found some information on another site,I think I will stay with what I have now. I only wish I new what it was or as I should say who made the prop I know what size it is just not the maker.
Old 26-05-2008, 02:55   #9

11.79 E 12 RH thats whats on the prop.
Old 26-05-2008, 03:32   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Windshadow, go easy on the moderators. They keep this place sane.

I have no experience with the prop system you are talking about. We did reprop our boat from the stock Volvo Penta S20 saildrive folding prop to a maxprop and it was the best mod we've done to the boat.

We went rom ~3.5kts to 6.5kts with excellent reversing and stopping performance.

Do you get full RPM out of your engine at present? If you have no problem making max RPM youcould probably go with a higher pitch prop.

As for two blade vs. three blade the other reason that manufacturers use 3 blades is for hull clearance if required. You mighty be able to get your current prop repitched and save you a bomb.

I can recommend the Maxprop enthusiastically!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 10:31   #11
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by windshadow View Post
alan lighten up thats twice you have jumped me in one post.
Maybe it because in a thread with 9 posts, 6 of them are yours and half of those were you whining that no one had posted in your thread.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 17:52   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Windshadow, go easy on the moderators. They keep this place sane.

I have no experience with the prop system you are talking about. We did reprop our boat from the stock Volvo Penta S20 saildrive folding prop to a maxprop and it was the best mod we've done to the boat.

We went rom ~3.5kts to 6.5kts with excellent reversing and stopping performance.

Do you get full RPM out of your engine at present? If you have no problem making max RPM youcould probably go with a higher pitch prop.

As for two blade vs. three blade the other reason that manufacturers use 3 blades is for hull clearance if required. You mighty be able to get your current prop repitched and save you a bomb.

I can recommend the Maxprop enthusiastically!
thanks for the reply. the max rpm on my boat is 2800 it is just a small farymann L30 I talked with a guy named norm today about the cambell prop ithink all said there around 500 so I will have to see thanks again
Old 26-05-2008, 23:18   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
alan lighten up thats twice you have jumped me in one post.
Right oh, firstly take a look to the left at my profile and take a lok at who you are talking to. OK, so here are the rules. Rule No.1 is read the rules of posting before you popst. Please go do this. You will find in those rules that we do not allow "bumping" threads. That is when you don't get a reply to your initial post, so you post again to bring it to peoples attention.
The nex thing you need to understand, is that this Forum is not just US based. It is world wide. We have well over ten thousand members. Some are asleep right now, some are at work, some like me at the time of writing this are sitting down to watch the evening news an eating my evening meal. So you will not get instant attention.
It is a good idea to post as much info as possible in your initial post. That way we may better understand just what the hell you are on about. Then you may get a better response.
And finally, we on the Mod/Admin team point out the rules and hopefully offer advice that may be of help to posters. We don't need ignorant comments being made in reply.

Old 27-05-2008, 05:15   #14

ok alan I have read who you are and by the way I read that before I posted. I did not read all your rules I am sorry for that. I am sure most do not but I will go back a read them .as to were I posted the first time I was asking if any one had used cdi props I felt that genral sailing would be read by more people it was a genral question not a tech question. your responce to my question tells me you did not read or you did not understand my question. I was asking if anyone has used cdi props I did not need to talk about pitch size and so on. I think just moving my post should have been enough said on your part but that is up to you. I did not see you making comments at fatb for trying to flame this toppic but onece again thats up to you. If you missunderstood my question then I do thank you for asking for more information to help me get the right prop and in the future I will not bump take care. thanks david and EX for your inpute I am also talking with cambell this afternoon thanks again
Old 27-05-2008, 13:02   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Not reading the rules and especially because you think others do not, does not automatically make you above the rules. We don't spend so much time writing them for nothing.
Why didn't I call out Ex-cal and fstbttms?? because they both long standing members that hold a lot more more respect because of the length of time here and their ability to post maturely. They said exactly what I was going to and many of the others wanted to.
Your number of post and changing the substance of the thread with each post has made all this confusing. I assume you are asking because you have a problem with your existing prop. With more details, maybe we can help you through your existing issue. If no one replies to your query of anyone knowing cdi props, then you can only assume no one does and leave it at that. Hence my questions so as we could take you through possible steps to see what the problem maybe. You either supply that info and take onboard the suggestions that may arrive to you, or you ignore all and go and buy the prop. You may or may not be wasting your money.