Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2009, 09:35   #1

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Metric Stuffing Box

I'm having a lot of difficulty locating a 30mm stuffing box here in the Great Satan. Buck Algonquin makes only SAE sizes and I have been unable to find any other manufacturers, even on the internet. Surely there are other manufactureres in the less metricly-challenged parts of the globe?

So the question is, how do you guys keep your shafts from dripping? (I'm thinking more of packing glands than antibiotics.)

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 10:05   #2
Marine Service Provider

PYI supply metric dripless shaft seals made by PSS. These units have proven reliable in service.
Their web site is www.pyiinc.com

regards,
Stanley
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 10:22   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCboatrx View Post
PYI supply metric dripless shaft seals made by PSS. These units have proven reliable in service.
Their web site is www.pyiinc.com

regards,
Stanley
Hi Stanley,

I should have mentioned that I've looked at the PSS units as they are have the only metric sizes I have been able to find. They are beautifull units but they are more than i would like to spend, especially as I need 2. The cost difference may not be as much, however, if I end up having to buy a metric stuffing box overseas, once shipping and such is factored in.

Mike
Old 30-03-2009, 10:31   #4

I would stick with the tried and true stuffing box. I would also find a local machine shop and just have them machine the stuffing box to your correct size. just puchase one that is a little "tight" and have it modified to fit your shaft. Easy to do. I had the PSS shaft seal and I hated it, removed it last year and I am much happier. I know of a new 38ft boat in San Francisco that sank at the dock due to a failed PSS shaft seal just a few months ago. Keep it simple!
By Invitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 18:45   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by By Invitation View Post
I would also find a local machine shop and just have them machine the stuffing box to your correct size. just puchase one that is a little "tight" and have it modified to fit your shaft.
Great idea! Why didn't I think of that? It will be a little pricey once I pay the machine shop minimum, but still probably cheaper than importing.
Thanks,
mike
Old 31-03-2009, 17:26   #6
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
1 3/16" should do OK. It's only 0.17mm larger, a clearance any stuffing box will take up with ease.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 18:01   #7

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
I'm with you guys on the Dripless seals. I think they lost a lot of their appeal when the latest new packings came out. Now the most reliable seals are packing glands again...That and I have a good friend who had to run his boat aground after blowing a "dripless" modern hightech expensive shaft seal.

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 18:23   #8

Boat: Currently boatless
You can also try ordering one through a Vetus dealer (they have a 30 mm box in their catalog)
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 18:48   #9

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
drips

Iam about to try a mechanical seal which was $30.00 to replace a worn stuffing box. (used in a lot of water pumps) These have a ceramic section with a carbon seal. During the research a company "Tide Marine" turned up what looks like a good product which allowed a seal to be changed in the water. It looks better than the PSS. If my attempt fails I would be looking at the above. If it works I will do the other shaft. The other change is from heavy 2" radator hose to more flexable silicon hose. ( cost more) I would be interested to hear if anyone has used silicon hose between the stern tube & the stuffing box.

Regards Bill Goodward
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 19:25   #10
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Tides Seals have a lip seal...if you forget to turn on the water or the water flow becomes disrupted...they self destruct.....Years ago, all the water taxis in the Harbor went to Tides......after many failures due to operator error......back to conventional stuffing boxes......when they fail they melt to the shaft due to lack of cooling water
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 19:48   #11

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
I realise operator error will cause failure but I would like to hear if someone has operated the Tides seal without problems. The mechnical seal I will try may also need water cooling but it will be from the normal engine pump which will result in engine overheating & alarms before anything else fails & it does require "the operator" to ensure the cock is turned on each time the engine is used.
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 13:21   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
1 3/16" should do OK. It's only 0.17mm larger, a clearance any stuffing box will take up with ease.
Hi Pete,
That would be ideal but, as far as I can find, nobody (read: "Buck Algonquin") makes a 1 3/16" stuffing box.

Quote:
You can also try ordering one through a Vetus dealer (they have a 30 mm box in their catalog)
I've got the 2009 catalog and it looks like all stuffing boxes and shaft logs have been discontinued. I'm surprised that I can find no other manufacturers on the internet that supply metric stuffing boxes.
Old 06-03-2013, 19:51   #13

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Re: Metric Stuffing Box

Bringing this back to life as I'm now in need of a stuffing box for a 30mm shaft
Has anyone come up with anything short of buying a 1,1/8 and having it machined..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:00   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
Bringing this back to life as I'm now in need of a stuffing box for a 30mm shaft
Has anyone come up with anything short of buying a 1,1/8 and having it machined..
Volvo part number 828442
About $120
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:08   #15

Boat: Beneteau 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
Volvo part number 828442
About $120
Actually I think it's Volvo Penta # 828422...

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote