Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 05:12   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
LasDrop Gen II shaft seal

Anyone with experience with the Lasdrop Gen II shaft seal?
Old 04-02-2013, 09:48   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas
Anyone with experience with the Lasdrop Gen II shaft seal?
Hi Don,

I have some experience with the unit. In fact my experience is that I took mine out and sent it in to have it rebuilt.

The company is outstanding and they have great customer service. My unit went 10 years without an issue: started to leak small drips. I know of another unit that is still working great after 10 years.

Not sure what your inquiry is about. I do suggest contacting Paul V. at Lasdrop.

Fair winds.
Greatketch33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:51   #3

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
I had one that I couldn't get to stop leaking. Had the engine aligned twice by different mechanics and still couldn't get it to stop. I must say that Paul at Lasdrop was awesome trying to figure out our issue (which we never did figure out) and answering emails.

The Lasdrop was still under their warranty and I'm sure they would have replaced it, but I dropped it pulling the shaft a month ago and chipped the lip. I just bought a PSS and will try that.

Again, our issue may have been something simple or out of the ordinary, but we were not able to get the leaks to stop. Having both in my hand, the Lasdrop sure seems like a better built unit vs the PSS.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:53   #4
CLOD

Re: LasDrop Gen II shaft seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
I had one that I couldn't get to stop leaking.

As I remember on a older thread you didn't have a generation 2 seal, you had an original (with the bellows like a PSS).

Doesn't appear to be a lot of experience with the Generation 2 seal out in CF land. I like the idea of this seal because it doesn't use a bellow and has a spring like a real cartridge seal. and it doesn't use set screws to hold it like the PSS.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:02   #5

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

When we replaced the engine and transmission on our boat, we also installed a new shaft, prop and a LasDrop Gen II shaft seal. We now have over 1,500 hours on the engine (virtually all of the hours are with the transmission engaged - we don't run our engine just to charge the batteries) and I don't think its ever dripped a single drop.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 06:21   #6

I received my rebuilt Lasdrop Gen II. The unit looks great. The company provided great service and a very reasonable price to repair. I am used to hearing "you have to buy new" from many other companies on other products. But not Lasdrop, they rebuild their products. Mine looks new.

The unit started leaking after 16 years of use. It served well. This Spring I'll put the unit together on the boat and provide an update.
Old 23-02-2013, 07:10   #7
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatketch33 View Post
I received my rebuilt Lasdrop Gen II. The unit looks great. The company provided great service and a very reasonable price to repair. I am used to hearing "you have to buy new" from many other companies on other products. But not Lasdrop, they rebuild their products. Mine looks new.

The unit started leaking after 16 years of use. It served well. This Spring I'll put the unit together on the boat and provide an update.
I didn't know they would rebuilt one. What size seal do you have and how much was the rebuild as it would be interesting to compare the price to a new 1.
Old 09-05-2013, 13:46   #8
CLOD

So I installed a Lasdrop Generation 2 seal. I definitely like the construction better than the PSS seal I had before (no thin bellows boot, tension that is easy to adjust and not issue with those set screws you aren't suppose to reuse).

Leaked a little after installation (but so little I could never see it drip), but after running the engine 30 minutes to break in it has leaked at all.
Old 09-05-2013, 15:11   #9

I placed my rebuilt Gen II on the boat last weekend. No leak and very easy to install. The Gen II lasted 16 years before it was rebuilt.

Very satisfied with the product and customer service.

Great Ketch
Old 09-05-2013, 15:57   #10

Boat: Alberg 30
We install quite a few las drops with the lip seal. Often replacing pss.
The hose is much nicer, though should still be replaced when the seal is serviced. Do spring the extra cash for the shaft mounted emergency seal. If the seal fails, you can replace it in place, once.
The halves of it's housing act as the driver to seat it.
I'm not sure I'd want to try it in the water, but I'd definitely do it with a quick lift if needed. It's also paid off for two owners when we serviced them and found the seal required back ordered indefinitely, it provides the replacement in a location that is impossible to forget.

The other advantage is the housing for the spare seems to me to be able to act similarly to the clamp Maine Sail uses to prevent shaft sliding out of the boat if something else fails.

Very cheap and handy insurance.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:15   #11
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
So I installed a Lasdrop Generation 2 seal. I definitely like the construction better than the PSS seal I had before (no thin bellows boot, tension that is easy to adjust and not issue with those set screws you aren't suppose to reuse).

Leaked a little after installation (but so little I could never see it drip), but after running the engine 30 minutes to break in it has leaked at all.
As an update: after a couple on months it seems that the seal still drips a little when the engine isn't running. I can not see the drip but if I dry the tray there will be water later in it. When running the engine I see no drips and can not feel any spray at the seal (I could with the PSS).

In the end I'm happy with it and still feel a lot better about the physical construction of The Lasdrop Gen II than I ever was with the PSS.