Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2019, 15:55   #1

Boat: Leopard 40
Flex-o-fold US dealer?

I'm thinking about buying some new flex-o-fold props but Google is failing to find a US dealer for them. Anyone know of one?

If not I will just buy them from the manufacturer.

Thanks all.
eweb101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 16:41   #2

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: Flex-o-fold US dealer?

One in the NE USA, it's on the flexofold site, or was recently
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 17:23   #3

I couldn't even get a response from the web site a month ago......

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 17:44   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

I have flexifold on my current boat and got an immediate quote for my new boat. Email cbr@flexofold.com. I had Maxprop before and was reluctant to switch. Flexofold is cheaper, doesn't back quite as well, but I'm really happy with it.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 17:46   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

Unless something has changed the past 8 years

Don’t email etc, you need to call till they pickup in person
Old 10-03-2019, 17:48   #6

Must have changed. Like I said, I just did it in the past month..
Old 10-03-2019, 18:48   #7

Boat: Cal 33-2

I filled out the form on the website last week. Got a quote back in a few days.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:45   #8

I did email them and got a response within a few days. I still can't find a dealer though. I'm worried that if there's a problem with the props it will be a pain to get them replaced or fixed if I have to work directly with the manufacturer in Denmark.

I might be worrying for nothing but I thought I'd check in case there is someone that sells them somewhat local that just doesn't advertise very well on the internet.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:52   #9

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Found it, Jon@hansenmarine.com
781 639 7121,,, I just ordered zincs from him
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:04   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Found it, Jon@hansenmarine.com
781 639 7121,,, I just ordered zincs from him

Thank you. I'll give him a call.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:14   #11

Congratulations on your choice of Flexofold. I have a new boat on order and will have another flexofold on Volvo D2 60 with saildrive. The best review I've seen on folding/feathering props is:
https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/gear...ler-test-29807
You see that it has the best thrust forward, slightly faster under power than a fixed prop, very good prop walk characteristics and decent reverse. My paranoia, was, and is on the new boat is "Am I getting the right diameter and pitch?" I couldn't find it in my documentation, but as I remember, there is a very short period of time in which to exchange for a different size - and you may still have to pay for two more haulouts (old one off, new one on). I am shocked at the number of people who tell me they have the wrong pitch or diameter prop (they actually say they don't get the speed they expected, or max rpm is much higher (or lower) than their engine manual says). I'm assuming that they got a recommendation from whomever they bought it from. I would suggest, and am doing it myself, that you have the US distributor and Denmark tell you their recommendation. I would see if you can get a Leopard dealer to tell you also, and post to forums. Hopefully, all will tell you the same size and pitch. Flexofold is only one of the best props if properly sized.
Old 05-04-2019, 17:51   #12

Boat: 1997 Sabre 362

Purchased one in January direct from Denmark. Very easy to deal with. Prompt replies. Hansen Marine in MA is also dealer & has zincs (as do more generic sites).
Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 19:09   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzmeyer View Post
Congratulations on your choice of Flexofold. I have a new boat on order and will have another flexofold on Volvo D2 60 with saildrive. The best review I've seen on folding/feathering props is:
https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/gear...ler-test-29807
You see that it has the best thrust forward, slightly faster under power than a fixed prop, very good prop walk characteristics and decent reverse. My paranoia, was, and is on the new boat is "Am I getting the right diameter and pitch?" I couldn't find it in my documentation, but as I remember, there is a very short period of time in which to exchange for a different size - and you may still have to pay for two more haulouts (old one off, new one on). I am shocked at the number of people who tell me they have the wrong pitch or diameter prop (they actually say they don't get the speed they expected, or max rpm is much higher (or lower) than their engine manual says). I'm assuming that they got a recommendation from whomever they bought it from. I would suggest, and am doing it myself, that you have the US distributor and Denmark tell you their recommendation. I would see if you can get a Leopard dealer to tell you also, and post to forums. Hopefully, all will tell you the same size and pitch. Flexofold is only one of the best props if properly sized.

And there is the rub. It's a wonderful prop, but the service is terrible. Hansen and Denmark calculated the size. The result is that I am overpropped. Denmark said it couldn't be. Hansen said that Denmark works around them so they can't afford to carry blades to swap out. Neither ever contacted me, despite promises. I had to initiate every call. It's probably the worst service I have ever had, and you can tell them I said it. Maybe they might even contact me!

The result is that I work around the overpropping by limiting my engine speed to around 80% of the max that I can get, per some pretty knowledgeable engineers. That means I motor at the same speed at a lower RPM, which does have some advantages, but I can't get anywhere near max power from the engines. Fortunately, they are more powerful than necessary. My rated max is 3800. I can get about 3300, with smoke starting at a lower speed. So, I don't run over 2650. If my engines were smaller, it would be very distressing,

Previously I had Max Props. They are far more complicated and require maintenance above and beyond the greasing, every few years. I much prefer the Flex-o-fold prop. But the service at PMI, the Max Prop distributor is superb. Cannot be beat, and I dealt with them for about twelve years. They are truly a first class outfit.

By the way, a skilled diver can change the flex-o-fold blades in the water.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:28   #14

I ended up buying a pair of flex-o-folds from Jon at Hansen Marine. His work number is: 781-631-3282 ext121.

Seemed like a nice guy and got me a much better price than the estimate I got from Denmark. They arrived within a week of me ordering them which was also nice.

Haven't put them on yet so no idea if the sizing is right but thanks for the headsup contrail.
Old 26-04-2021, 13:17   #15

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

that number is not in service.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote