Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2016, 17:11   #1

Do not throw the YANMAR SD50 out for a SD60 yet!!

The postings on problems with the new SD60 that a good many fellow sailors have experienced after replacing their SD50 with the SD60 has sparked this off.

On a number of my previous postings regarding the troublesome SD40 SD50 Cone Clutch, and the solution to the problem has reference.

I personally think that it is not the answer, both financially as well as the yet unproven track record of the SD60, to go ahead and replace your existing SD50 with the SD60 just because of the problems you may have with the Slipping Cone Clutch on the SD50.

The Cone Clutch Rework/Upgrade replacing the original Yanmar Copper Thrust Washers with THRUST BEARINGS (Similar to VOLVO), which allows much closer initial setup tolerance and reduced wear, combined with the "Open Breathing" arrangement makes a lot more sense.

Feel free to contact me ( panache5000@yahoo.com ) for more information on the rework before you make the decision to change from SD40 SD50 to the SD60.
Panache5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 15:21   #2

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panache5000 View Post
The postings on problems with the new SD60 that a good many fellow sailors have experienced after replacing their SD50 with the SD60 has sparked this off.

A good many fellow sailors? Where did this come from? The SD60 has been on the market since mid-2013 with many an hour clocked up. Ive met a lot of SD60 owners and they havent experienced any major problems. Ours have 1000hrs each ... they've been champs. This seems exaggerated. I may agree that an assessment is necessary before you switch your 50's for 60's, however posting that problems of a good many sailor without some empirical data isn't stacking up.

Since Yanmar have shifted sail drive manufacturing to ZF the reliability is substantially improved.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 18:08   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45
Re: Do not throw the YANMAR SD50 out for a SD60 yet!!

We never know the percentage failure rate in these pages, we can only respond to our personal experience and that of other posts. The SD60 may be more reliable than the SD50, but only time will tell.

A big worry for the SD60 is the difficulty of the repairs, and the reported short life before the next failure. The engine needs to be disconnected and moved forward, the top half of the gearbox is dismantled so the clutch shaft can be removed. Then re-connection of the engine is very tricky.

In my case the clutches started slipping 5 weeks after the first repair, and there have been other similar reports. Yanmar don't seem to know what is causing the problem, or how to fix it, and we are now waiting on "improved" parts to arrive.

The Greek Yanmar agent says the SD50 is a better gearbox, and I agree with him. The SD50 has known problems, and known solutions, including Panache's excellent thrust bearing kit. Also it is much easier to replace or service the clutch assembly. He is reporting 'many' SD60 failures, but who knows what the actual numbers are.

So, I would not recommend changing from a SD50 to a SD60. I am thinking of going the other way!
RichMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 01:51   #4

A key tip for SD60 owners is to inspect, and adjust if required, the fwd/neutral/reverse lever settings from the shifter. Should they not get FULL engagement, slippage and problems can occur. Yanmar Cape Town, who supply and service hundreds of SD60s to the Roberts and Caine/Moorings and other cats and monos, have an extensive working history with all Yanmar sail drives and this was their main recommendation. We check ours on a monthly basis.
Old 26-07-2016, 02:01   #5

[QUOTE=RichMac;.The Greek Yanmar agent says the SD50 is a better gearbox, and I agree with him. The SD50 has known problems, and known solutions, including Panache's excellent thrust bearing kit. Also it is much easier to replace or service the clutch assembly. He is reporting 'many' SD60 failures, but who knows what the actual numbers are.![/QUOTE]

What are these failures? Please elaborate.
Old 26-07-2016, 03:11   #6

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder

I now have one of each.
Lets see how the new SD60 lasts

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 03:37   #7

Boat: Leopard 40 o/v

What they are saying is that don't throw out the faulty SD - fix it. Not all of us have huge wallets just to change SDrives.
Blackie Swart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 05:07   #8

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder

Got a spare in the shed now, will do the seals and have it ready to go.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 05:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie Swart View Post
What they are saying is that don't throw out the faulty SD - fix it. Not all of us have huge wallets just to change SDrives.

Hi Blackie,

Yes I agree, rather repair the SD40/50 than throwing it out.

Many owners were fed up with the re-occuring Cone Clutch problems, and changed to the SD60 in desperation. I have spoken to a number of Yanmar service centres, and their quality of workmanship and/or understanding of the operation and set-up of the SD40/50 Cone Clutch assy leaves a lot to be desired.

We have developed a Rework Kit for the SD40/50 (which I have discussed on the Forum before), and it gives the owner the opportunity to repair the SD40/50 at low cost, rather than replacing the unit.

PS. Congratulations with the Leopard 40. When will we see you in the Bahamas?
Panache5000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sd50, yanmar