Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2009, 06:59   #1
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Voyage 500, Silent Faith
sd60 wind needle not obeying

I am getting a good wind speed reading but the needle is not showing proper direction but is still not straight up......advice? cleaning maybe?
craig boorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 07:42   #2

Boat: Privilege 39
If it's consistently off by the same amount, then a simple calibration may resolve it (I'm not familiar with your particular unit - you'll have to read the manual). If it's more random than that, then it could be a few different things, but a common one is a bird sitting on the masthead, requiring a trip up there to fix whatever is bent or broken.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 08:19   #3
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
If I read the entry correctly ... is the display ONLY showing a single direction? The movement of the gage itself is where it should be? So, while the physical unit itself moves according to apparent wind direction, the meter (display) indicates ??? a) a set direction b) variable direction but incorrect c) none of the above ??
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 11:17   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I’m presuming you have the Raymarine ST60 Wind System.
Raymarine Marine Electronics - Wind

Here’s a couple of sites that may help:

http://www.raymarine.com/SubmittedFi...81148_4www.pdf

Raymarine Marine Electronics - Support Home

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 13:53   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Voyage 500, Silent Faith
Thanks for quick replys,,,,it is a raymarine unit and it is the display unit at the helm that is wakky but but but I did a charter today and after three hours of sailing it suddenly worked fine again,,,,,,I will go up the mast and check alignment,,,,,anything else I should check while up there?
craig boorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 15:20   #6

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Sounds like a dirty/loose connection to me. Unplug and spray some electronic contact cleaner in the sockets and reconnect.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 15:46   #7

Boat: Baba 35 - One With The Wind
Er, try this link for the ST-60+ (very similar to the ST-60) wind system for use on board.

Also, here's a test procedure from Raymarine:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymarine Tech Support
Diagnostic Procedure for the ST60 Wind System
You will require a digital multimeter and tools to gain access to the instrument system and cables.
Set your multimeter to DC voltage on a 20-volt scale.
When testing the system for the following voltage measurements, access to inside the instrument junctions within cable runs is
required. Care must be taken not to short circuit or brake any of the connections.
1.) Firstly using your digital multimeter connect the negative meter lead to the Screen wire and the positive meter lead to the Red wire
and a reading of 8 Volts should be present.
This 8 Volts is the supply from the instrument to the transducer, if it is not present then the following applies:
a.) Instrument is faulty
b.) If the measurement is taken along the cable run then there may be an open connection in some other position along the cable run.
2.) TESTING THE WIND DIRECTION
a.) With the multimeter negative lead connected to the Screen and the positive lead connected to the Blue wire a variable voltage of
2Vdc-6Vdc should be observed and varies in proportion to wind vane rotation.
b.) With the multimeter negative lead connected to the Screen and the positive lead connected to the Green wire a variable voltage of
2Vdc-6Vdc should be observed and varies in proportion to wind vane rotation.
c.) If these readings are present then assume the wind direction transducer is functioning correctly.
3.) TESTING THE WIND SPEED
a) With the multimeter negative lead connected to the Screen wire and the positive lead connected to the Yellow wire, a variable
voltage of 0Vdc to 5Vdc should be present.
b.) If this reading is present then assume the wind speed transducer is functioning correctly.
Again if you checked the grub screw on the vane and performed this on board diagnostic test with no faults, we then can assume your
problem is in the control head. At this point you would need to send it in to our service department for repair.
Thank you for contacting Raymarine Inc.
RBEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote