Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 08-05-2007, 17:05   #76

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
Autoprop emailed me a couple of more questions mainly about maximum rpm and if the engine was overloading. Was there any black smoke. The answer was no to smoke and no I wasn't at max (2200) I had more throtle to go. That was last week. I'm expecting a response and a resolution this week. I'll contact them later this week or early next week if I don't hear from them.
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:19   #77

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child
Thanks Dave. Knowing what you know now, would you buy the Autoprop again? As a businessman it amazes me how little attention some companies pay to customer service. One angry customer can do more damage than tens of thousands of dollars of advertising can do good, ya' know?

Regards,

TJ
Yachts66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:44   #78

I still like the prop. I've indicated that to Autoprop. I feel like I've gotten the run around by them a bit. Whe I went to them for a prop they gave me a paper to fill out which I did. They said they would send me a paper pattern to put on the shaft for measuring (which they never did). I ended up getting it via fax and am not sure if the dimensions were effected any. Further, what the requested after the initial paper request; it seems to me should have been in the initial paper request, things like; distance from bearing to knuckle of the shaft; distance from coupling to stern bearing; age of engine feet, enclosed or open aperature, etc. They didn't seem as concerned about what was on there and what worked as I felt they should have been.

If I was doing this again and had seen my own post; when I discussed this purchase with them I would want to know more about how they will support their customers, maybe even some references on difficult situations that were addressed and fixed. I know I've seen some post on the Martec and it seems to me that the company really has excellent followup. As of yet I can't say that about Autoprop.

I'm fully expecting to have a prop that works well, way they advertise, and and I expect it to happen soon. But; it seems to me that they work a little on island time. They've not said we will get back to you by x date. They (mostly Autoprop US) always seem to be "out of the office" and they don't seem to be computer literate. Even being out of the office say at a boat show one should be able to get their email. Hell, I was in Miami at the boat show and I check and responded to my email.
Old 09-05-2007, 13:03   #79
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

dkall, I can assure you that faxes do distort drawings. The horizontal and vertical scan rates are different so the distortion is usually different in each axis, but typically something like 1/16" to 1/4" per foot under ideal circumstances from what I recall. Not enough to change a 12" prop into a 13" one...unless someone has "fit to page" or some other wizardry enabled.<G>

The marvelous thing about capitalism is that anyone can start a business. Even if they lack the most basic business skills, like answering a phone. (Sigh.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 13:07   #80

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child
Absolutely hellosailor, let's hear it for Capitalism!! Hopefully someone at Autoprop will read these threads and take the hint.

Regards,

TJ
Yachts66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 09:51   #81

Updated Autoprop info

To bring anyone up to date on the last of the communicas with Autoprop.

I emailed them at the end of last month; April 30th, a couple of answers to what I hoped would be the final questions they wanted to know about. I never received a reply. So I emailed a followup May 14th and hadn't heard again for two days. Finally today I called them. The individual I had been talking to was in New Zealand. I asked if he received his email there and they said yes. They gave me to another individual that I spoke with on the phone by the name of David.

He was nice and informative and this is some more of what I gathered from him.

He indicated that the correct prop for that engine transmission was a 22" prop. Granted that is larger than I have larger than the apperature would handle. I informed him that the prop tip came to 1 1/2" from the top of the hull with the prop I had. He indicated that that was within tolerances of Autoprop. He did indicate that 10% of the diameter would be better in which I concured. He also said that they could re - cup the blades and that might bring the rpms up to say 1500 or so for hull speed. My main concern now is running the engine always below 1500 knowing that diesels don't love to be continously run at 40-50% of the their rpm range for any time.

He further indicated the with Autoprops they need the diameter and that if the diameter is too small for the engine size he said something to the effect; and I hope I'm getting this correct, the prop will collapse and not provide any thrust in adverse conditions. That now to is going to be of concern to me as if we have the prop recupped then I would be going to be more likely to have the blades go flat than if we had one of an inch less in diameter.

He said he would rework the numbers and get back with me in hopefully the next day, definitely by the end of the week. He also said that with my setup we may not be able to make it work and would need to return the prop and refund our money. I'm still hoping for a working Autoprop. Don't know what I'll get if we need to begin looking again.

My original prop was 20" x 10". Right now I give it about a 50-50 chance of us staying with this prop. I like it, I like the no cavitation, I don't like the control of speed. What I believe is that with my engine and boat and the correct prop of 20" x 10" the Autoprop wants to act more like a 21" x 21" prop and we'll see what they say about fixing that. The 20"x 10" is rather flat to begin with and it just may be that boats that have squarer props would be better served with the Autoprop and not boats that have fixed aperatures and larger engines with a flatter pitch. Just my 2 cents.

Comments are appreciated and I'll keep this board informed of the results till the end.
Old 16-05-2007, 10:54   #82

Sorry about your troubles - If this post stirs the pot, feel free to ignore.

Have you looked at the Kiwi Prop. I am considering upgrading to this one.
Old 16-05-2007, 11:35   #83
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Dave, I give you credit for your patience. Even a bespoke suit is supposed to be fitted within a reasonably short time!

I think in your position I would have said "Look, send me a recupped prop if you think that's going to make it right. If it does, I'll just send you back the old one. If it doesn't, I'm going to be sending back both and expecting a prompt refund, this has gone on long enough."

I get cranky when I find out that I'm the one doing the real-world field testing that I've already paid some manufacturer to do on their own. I think testers should GET paid, not do the paying. (Terribly old-fashioned of me, isn't it?<G>)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 12:28   #84

Autoprop vs Kiwi

When I looked at the Kiwi I liked it; but if memory serves me correct they indiciated it's only good up to 50 hp. My engine is 85 hp.
Old 16-05-2007, 12:41   #85
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I agree with hellosailor. Dave, have you been noting all conversations and sendign them to the big dud in England?? If I was the big dude and I had this sort of representation by a dealing company, I would be finding another company. These guy's have drawn this out tooo long. Seeing as they are always tripping all over the world, you would think it easy to get someone to you and sort it on the spot. Keep me posted, because I will contact the big dude again if you want and discuss the power of advertising that this board with it's 5000'odd members has on products that get poor reviews like this.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 16:46   #86

Yeah, it is almost funny.

My emails since you began assisting have all been with the "big dude". He was responsive untill the last one, the 30th of last month, then I heard nothing, emailed a followup 3 days ago, heard nothing so called and as I reported he receives his email but is in New Zealand. I do wish there was a competitor with a similar design. I still like the prop but it's looking more and more we'll be parting ways.

And now that you mentioned it I can't believe to fix this someone couldn't have "stopped" by Tampa and looked into the mater much closer. Bring some props; I hire a diver and we'll do some testing to get the correct one. So far the vast majority of the onus has been on me. I feel like I've been given a little run around but that's mostly for other to conclude specifically if they are interested in dealing with Autoprop. That's one reason I've tried to be dispassionate so anyone thinking about this prop goes into the purchase fully understanding their needs and how timely the company will respond.

My best guess estimate is 50-50 on if we'll keep an Autoprop on the boat. I'm 100% convinced it will not be this one. I still love that there is no cavitation and when I move the throttle forward or reverse the boat moves and doesn't sit and think while throwing water every which way. Maybe with a different Autoprop I won't be so happy but we'll see.
Old 16-05-2007, 23:58   #87
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well I sure do hope the "big dude" looks here as well. This is not good advertising and when I come to fit an self feathering prop, it ain't going to be auto-prop. I just can't believe this. It's not like you have been an annoyance. In fact, you are a credit to consumers world wide to have shown such patience and a real credit to the Cruisers Forum for showing such maturity in your posts.
Come On Bruntons Autoprop, sort your act out. This has gone on for something like 10months now. It's not good enough.

Old 17-05-2007, 00:02   #88
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Dave, make sure you send a link to that comment above to the guy at Bruntons and ensure you mention that we have ruffly 5000 members world wide reading this.

Old 17-05-2007, 00:59   #89
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
Dave, make sure you send a link to that comment above to the guy at Bruntons and ensure you mention that we have ruffly 5000 members world wide reading this.
At 6,222 Members, as of this moment (0800 GMT, May 17/07), we might be approaching a significant representation of our “special interest group”.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2007, 01:32   #90
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Far out!! It was just under 5K seemingly only a few weeks back. Man we are growing.