Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 14:31   #1

Boat: EndeavourCat 36
Two seminars for Women

Howdy, all -- the National Women's Sailing Association is sponsoring two instructional seminars for women this winter in New England:
  • Marine Electrical -- February 9, Quonset, RI. $120 includes membership in NWSA
  • Marine Diesel -- March 15-16, New Bedford, MA. $470 includes NWSA membership

If you are already an NWSA member, deduct $45 from the above prices. The diesel seminar is a Mack Boring seminar. I've taken it and found it useful. This is a great price for Mack Boring training.

The electrical seminar is new, and I am teaching it. I'll have plenty of supplies for you to practice on.

NWSA is a non-profit "dedicated to enriching the lives of women and girls through education and access to the sport of sailing". Full disclosure, I am on their board. We are a volunteer organization.

More information about the seminars can be found here: Home
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 19:45   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Two seminars for Women

What a great idea! I hope somebody back East sees your post and signs up for the classes. It's amazing how much confidence a little knowledge and experience can give you.

Ann
Old 06-01-2014, 20:12   #3
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethflkys View Post
Howdy, all -- the National Women's Sailing Association is sponsoring two instructional seminars for women this winter in New England:
  • Marine Electrical -- February 9, Quonset, RI. $120 includes membership in NWSA
  • Marine Diesel -- March 15-16, New Bedford, MA. $470 includes NWSA membership

If you are already an NWSA member, deduct $45 from the above prices. The diesel seminar is a Mack Boring seminar. I've taken it and found it useful. This is a great price for Mack Boring training.

The electrical seminar is new, and I am teaching it. I'll have plenty of supplies for you to practice on.

NWSA is a non-profit "dedicated to enriching the lives of women and girls through education and access to the sport of sailing". Full disclosure, I am on their board. We are a volunteer organization.

More information about the seminars can be found here: Home

Awesome, my wife has taken some similar seminars around here to her pleasure. But I just had to comment, must be tough giving a lecture when your name is Mr. Boring!

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 16:19   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Awesome, my wife has taken some similar seminars around here to her pleasure. But I just had to comment, must be tough giving a lecture when your name is Mr. Boring!
Wise guy!

For anyone who is wondering, Mack Boring is the name of a very large Yanmar distributor in the US -- they claim to be the first in the US. They teach seminars regularly to anyone, male or female, but this one is for women and two days instead of the usual three. I took it a few years ago, and the instructor said he could cover everything in two days because women pay better attention and he spent less time keeping them from trying to break stuff on the engines. Go figure!

Old 11-01-2014, 16:40   #5

I'd be interested in similar courses out on this coast - any suggestions where to look?
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 17:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl View Post
I'd be interested in similar courses out on this coast - any suggestions where to look?
There is a very active group in Southern California that has been running a Women's Sailing Convention for 25 years:

Women's Sailing Convention

Download the brochure and you can see all the seminars they have.

It's coming up fast, February 1. I wish I could attend; maybe next year for me!

I have heard it is terrific, and given its longevity, I'm pretty sure it is. Gail Hine runs it and she is also on the board of the Women's Sailing Foundation.

We have a smaller scale, similar event in Marblehead, MA on the east coast of the US in June, hoping that it will grow as big over time. I'm going to take my boat to that one (I'll be doing some shorter electrical seminars there, on the boat). I'll send the first mate off on a fishing trip to keep him occupied that day.
Old 20-01-2014, 04:10   #7

:bump:

Tags
women