Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2010, 07:31   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons
I think you will find that they are very interested if you are paying someone to drive your boat, they will also be interested in minimum crewing levels if you are doing offshore passages. Suggest you read through the small print of the policy

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 08:50   #17

I do not have any formal certification other than my boat licence. I can not do commersial work but deliveries are fine, The owners are requested to inform their insurance company that I and my crew will be delivering the vessel. I supply my portfolio of previous deliveries and ocean sailing experience. I have not yet had an insurance company refuse to cover the owners vessel. Insurance companies place a great deal of weight on experience.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 09:18   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspot Baby View Post
Having a master's ticket with sail endorsement is a good start, but the hard part is getting the contacts. Just sticking your card on the board at the marina is not going to do it.

George
That's the truth right there. There's a lot of leeway in regards to who's insurable and who isn't, but getting in good is the tough part.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 10:12   #19

Boat: Colvin, Doxy
I started when the captain I had just done 2 crossings with as crew couldn't do his next job so he recommended me. FP38 in Aug/Sep France to Tortola. 80,000 miles later people who know me send an email.
Make a living, hand to mouth, maybe some small savings but that all goes when you need to live somewhere for 3 weeks in between jobs. Do you really want to be non-stop up and down the cost and crossing the Atlantic during the bad times the wrong way? But great experience for future in the industry.
It's a great chance to learn to knit. Now I work with a good charter company, and fill gaps with deliveries or teaching or private work on boats.
Old 14-09-2010, 19:18   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

I love the Atlantic the 'Wrong Way'.... its the East-West that bores me shitless... lol

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2010, 14:15   #21

Boat: beneteau 36 oceanus
its a great way to travel, you must be good at repairing many boat systems and have a lot of experience. To make any kind of money you must be in the business awhile and establish many clients and contacts. If you love the sea as I do, give it a try.
artsteffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 17:10   #22
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Id reccomend that anyone even half serious , who is taking money for deliveries takes out professional indemnity insurance. I know of two delivery skippers who were sued for negligence

dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 18:07   #23
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Seems like I hear a lot of stories of how owners refuse to pay.

Refuse to supply a return ticket.

Try to claim damages.

There are too many deadbeats/cheapskates out there to make it worth while IMHO
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 18:36   #24

Boat: a sailing boat
Skipper's licence requirements:

- as required by the registration country of the boat, for the specific passage, otherwise the insurer will not pay should anything happen,

Payments:

- half now, the other half on delivery,

Boats not insured can be delivered by skippers as per owner's discretion, still the skipper must bear licences as required by the take off and target countries.

I have never seen an owner not pay the other half. I always sign a contract.

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 19:04   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I love the Atlantic the 'Wrong Way'.... its the East-West that bores me shitless... lol
I love the W-E Atlantic too, provided the boat has a radar and some windward ability ...

BTW I have never seen a request for an E-W delivery. Where the hell do you get them from? (Other than brand new cats delivered to charter companies in the West Indies, but these use their own staff).

b.
Old 22-09-2010, 04:11   #26
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

They're usually short notice 'Owner Assists' when there's last minute loss of confidence in the Canaries....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2010, 09:39   #27

Hehehe ;-))) Very probably so. I will keep my eyes open. In fact, I can spread some hurricanes&dragons tales ...

barnie
Old 30-09-2010, 05:22   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
allways if possible have a written contract,get at least cost of airtickets to and from vessel in advance,you as skipper are responsible for repatriating your crew!!!!!!

ideally get 50% of delivery fee in advance,or at least at the halfway mark.
be very clear about expenses and what they entail,you may have to fork out for hotel accom,transfers once you arrive,can soon add up.

have a delay clause for equipment failure,normally £100-150/day after 3 days.(have seen people wait 2-3 weeks for engine spares)

dogey owners;have had to stop at tangier on a delivery to gib and demand payment in full,before continuing the 30 miles to gib!

assisted deliveries,can be bliss if you have a good owner.....but an absolute nightmare otherwise................sailing brings out the best and worst in people......

an icc and stcw 95 plus at least 20000 miles as skipper generally satisfies most insurance companies.

happy sailing,alex bond 101000 miles and still smiling,but remember "God designed yachts to punish yachtys!!!!!!!!"
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 17:08   #29

Yep. Written contract, even if the only way to have it is to e-mail one, sign and then e-mail back and counter sign.

I use a standard contract that I have worked out from my so far contacts with owners and it covers nearly all vital details. Owners seem to like it this way and it it suits me well too.

b.