Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 20:43   #1

Pleasure Powerboat Licensing Downunder

Hi folks I thought I'd have a look at what licensing and training is required/available in Australia before moving onto a larger boat.

A friend even mentioned that a insurance company would require you to be licensed anyway - which makes sense of course.

But for the life of me I cannot find any requirement above the normal recreation license (the same I need to drive a 12 footer with a 10hp outboard)... and in the Northern Territory where I am I don't even need that. This seems strange to me as I figure piloting a 60' trawler has a few responsibilities beyond my tinny! This recreational license is just a one day course in most places and pretty basic.

So I thought I'd get some training even if I'm not required to have it legally - but again I cannot find anything suitable. At least in the NT - a Coxwains license requires so many months employed on a commercial vessel which would be very difficult for me.

If anyone in the know could let me know if I'm missing something here that'd be great!

Cheers
Paul
djambalawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 21:02   #2

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Pleasure powerboat licensing downunder

Yes

Private boats only need speedboat licence at present.

No doubt the beaucrats in future will chance that with a few more marine collisions.

Coxwain and masters certificates are only required for commercial boating activities.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 22:23   #3

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: Pleasure Powerboat Licensing Downunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by djambalawa View Post
Hi folks I thought I'd have a look at what licensing and training is required/available in Australia before moving onto a larger boat.

But for the life of me I cannot find any requirement above the normal recreation license (the same I need to drive a 12 footer with a 10hp outboard)...
Its a friggen joke isn't it
Done plenty of ocean miles on my own vessels
Done several overseas deliveries on powered vessels
But none of that counted for squat and I had to get a license in a 14ft tinny (for me) to show that I could command a vessel.
And boy, they didn't like it when you point out the flaws and stupidity of some of the questions and their supposed correct answers in the test.

Meanwhile, some clueless numbnuts can get behind the stick/wheel on a charter boat without any experience whatsoever

The license here is just an excuse for revenue raising and names on a list