Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2009, 13:06   #1

Keeping My Drivers Licence

I am thinking of breaking camp on land and becoming a full time cruser. The delemia I have is that I have a commercial drivers licence ( which I can use for work) that I do not want to surender; and for some reason my family does not want me to use their address as a place of residence ( most likely they are jealous). Does anyone have information on how I can legally keep my drivers licence and not have to pay to rent an apartment while I am crusing? Right now I live in PA and their law states that I would have to surrender my licence within 30 days if I do not have a permanent address..I would be open to moving if I became a full time sailor.. Thanks.. Viking Blood
viking blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 13:24   #2

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Hi Viking, Welcome

I can't answer the keeping the license part of your question, it's a good one though, I might need the answer myself soon. I'd be interested in how full time cruisers maintain their drivers licenses too.

I might suggest that your family might be concerned that their insurance rates might be affected by how many licensed drivers they have at their address. My military brother who moves around quite a bit, always maintained our parents address on his drivers license, rather than apply for a new one on every base. It worked for years until the insurance company tried to cancel my parents policy for having an additional driver using their address..not increase the rates....but cancel..... not necessarily fair but it happens.......he changed his address.
Old 14-02-2009, 13:30   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Employer?

You don't say what sort of license you have but thinking back to my taxi driving days I have, at times, wished that I had kept that license.

Have you discussed your plans with your employer(s)? They may be cooperative.

After all, you will possibly be coming back to replenish the kitty from time to time.

You will surprised just how many bits of mail you get over a year. Is a mail box acceptable?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 13:41   #4

Boat: Columbia 45 / Iroquois 30
Use the marina address that you are going to leave from. If its an excise tax thing use the marina address where the taxes are the lowest and "leave" from there. OR do what the homeless do - use the local homeless shelter address.

Too bad we cant just get our own FPO address. I guess that would be a pretty good business idea.
sushirama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 14:30   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
I think you need to talk to someone who knows the legality of establishing a legal address in your home state, or who can advise you about changing your address to another state. I know that there are mail forwarding companies that should be able to advise you or suggest legal advice.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote