Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Training, Licensing & Certification
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2007, 09:06   #1

Boat: Delphia 37
Help Picking a Boat for Bareboat Certification in BVI

Hello all,

I'm in the process of setting up a "learning vacation" in the BVI to get bare boat certified (ASA 103/104) through a local sailing school.

I think the outline if 1 week on a boat, 2x students (me/girlfriend) and 1x captain. No cook or other students (do I want a cook? One less person and we doing easy meals sounds not too bad to me).

Question is:

Which boat should we pick? Does it really matter all that much? I've got no experience outside on boats of this size/never been on one outside of a 3 hr sail on a 30 ft boat.

Stick with a 2 cabin 37-38 ft boat? Get a bigger 40-42 foot boat w/ 3 cabins?

British Virgin Islands Bareboat Charters - Monohull Fleet

Basic options there. They are recommending :

Sea Venture
Jeanneau 37 (2000)
2 Cabins+1 Head

OR
Dav and Joy
Hunter 386 (2004)2 Cabins+1 Head

Also offered

Delfino Bianco
Jeanneau SO 40 (2000) 3 Cabins+2 Heads

Any thoughts? Which would you pick?

This whole idea sound like a good plan? Rent a boat for a week, sail around the BVI with a captain and get certified.

Thanks!
Marty

marty9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2007, 09:36   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
For a single week, I'd certainly go with the Jeanneau 37 "Sea Venture", as it's the least expensive charter.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2007, 09:36   #3
Eternal Member

Marty,

For the extra $200, take the Jeanneau 40 with 3 cabins and 2 heads. You'll be more comfortable with your wife and a captain aboard.

I know the Virgins very well, having had my boat based there for 11 years and having sailed there for over 35 years. You'll have a great time.

I think the 1-week charter and ASA certifications is a good idea. Disclaimer: I'm now involved in a sail/power training business, but that doesn't color my earlier remarks.

Have fun!

Bill
S/V Born Free
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2007, 09:46   #4

My cost seems to be pretty much fixed regardless of the boat. Another option is the
Milina

Beneteau 423 (2004) 3 Cabins+2 Heads

I hate the interior of that boat...

(Milina and Delfino are pre-booked so he's most flexiable on those boats).

If I get too far of the those boat prices I think it's $$ out of my pocket.
Old 13-10-2007, 20:10   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I'd take the Jeaneau or the Beneteau.

The Jeaneau seems to be the only one tht talks about sailability. Hmmm...

I guess part of my decision would be based on what I plan to do next in my sailing career.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2007, 13:03   #6

Also is 3895/couple a fair price for boat/instructor/about half the meals for 5-6 days cruise/teach/goof off
Old 14-10-2007, 14:51   #7

I think the price is fair/reasonable or at least typical. Personally I hate the twin aft cabins on charter boats. They're cramped and when you're in one don't say or do anything you don't want to share with the folks next door - two heads, however, are nice for a charter. But, with just 2 people + captain, I would go for the small Jeaneau or the Hunter.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2007, 16:59   #8

Boat: Ensenada 20
Just back two weeks ago from a one week charter in St Vincent & the Grenadines on a Beneteau 423.

Was pretty pleased with the boat. Sailed and motored very well, and roomy for the size, but limited storage, so don't take too much "stuff."

I was pleasantly surprised with how high it would sail into the wind. Biggest disappoint was limited air flow and poor location of the fan in the stern cabins which made for very warm sleeping conditions.

Good luck on your charter. You really can't go wrong with any of the boats you are considering, and you certainly can't go wrong with the BVI's location. Were I in your place, I would opt for the biggest boat you can afford -- it will be more pleasant and you will come home with fewer bumps and bruises on your head and body!!
Lightfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2007, 21:01   #9

You may consider checking into chartering unused owner's time. It's the same boats from the charter companies, but at significant discounts.

Carribean Yacht Charters: Owner's Time - Virgin Islands (U.S. & British) | Sailonline.com
bobr001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2007, 06:56   #10

Boat all set with the 37' Jeaneau (2 berths). Was planning on it being just myself/girlfriend and captain. Sailing school said during booking a cook would cost extra so we opted out. Now the sailing school has an instructor they wanted to add to the boat so they could also practice docking along with us.

Would you opt for a free cook? 4 people on the boat vs. 3 make any differance? Plan is to spend 6 nights on the boat with all (but 1 perhaps) dinner ashore with just all breakfasts and 5 lunches on the boat so not too much cooking.

Thanks!
Old 15-05-2008, 19:01   #11

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
4 people already sounds like a crowd to me. I'd pass on the cook. Food is easily accessible. We usually bring the essential dry goods: coffee, tea, sugar etc. I bring a bag of dry or canned staples. Chunk chicken meat or tuna for sandwiches, mayo in a plastic jar ..etc. I'll make a trail mix..maybe pasta and sauce...things like that. It saves a few pennies... You can pick up fresh veggies there as well as eggs and breakfast supplies. Dinners we usually have ashore you don't want to miss the lobster dinner on Anegada.

You won't do much docking there, most of the time you'll be on a mooring. You'll get plenty of dingy experience.
Walk the trail up to the top of the Baths the view is awesome. There are trails up to the top of Norman island, and above the Bitter end as well...get one of those waterproof money carriers, for the swim ashore at the baths. Make sure you have snorkle gear on board or rent it.
Cane Garden Bay is my favorite swimming beach!!

You will Love the BVI. I'm jealous....... say hello to Foxy for me!
Tempest245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 16:52   #12

Boat: Cabalier 40ft Long Range Cruiser
what kind of boat to choose

Id go with the jeanneu its built soildy, has lots of room and sails well, it does take two people one to steer and one to set sails. Id worry less about sleeping quarters and more about the boat itself, each boat you sail will give you experience twards choosing the boat that is right for you to buy later on

We sailed hunters, jeanneaus, catalinas, benetaus, island packets and calibers
we found when we bought our boat we liked the caliber the best and when we made a decision to get it, we found our experience in those early outtings on the boats we learned on to get our asa certs really paid off in showing us the direction we wanted to go in for our first boat to live on

We have sailed in the great lakes, the north channel, the virgin islands, the chesepeke and ICW and Locally in NC on the Neuse.. We also sailed in the gulf (a class) and Eastern Atlantic (another class)

each time we went was a differnt experience and a good way to learn new stuff..
Kathleen
hasuehounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2008, 21:44   #13

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
I'm not a monohuller so I don't know but if posible I would choose a cat or if forced to take a mono I would take the Jeanneau be cause of the size.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:24   #14

How did this work out for you? Good choice, good way to get experience?

What was the sailing school, did that work well?
DeepGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:04   #15

Worked out very well, completely recommend. Ended up with Sea Venture
Jeanneau 37 (2000) and had a blast. Actually used a sailing school from my area, Minnesota, called Northern Breezes.

Boat was out of TMM and for the most part was a good experience. Got a little annoyed once. Tip: Don't depart/return on a local holiday as they are short staffed.

Ended up with a "cook", happened to be our instructor from the small boat class we took here (ASA 101) so was a friendly face.

Tags
bareboat, British Virgin Islands, certification