Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2015, 06:12   #31

Boat: Sold Sigma 33 OOD some time ago, will be chartering in Turkey really soon
Re: College Students want to Bareboat in Italy

A lot of the Mediterranean countries ask for some formal certificate; that might be a show stopper. I'm not sure about Italy but Croatia, Greece and Turkey ask you to demonstrate it.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:13   #32

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
OP made me laugh. I guess this is what is called helicopter parenting these days?
When I was 15 I travelled from Belgium (where I grew up) to Brittany to go sailing with the French Les Glenans sailing school. That involved a train trip that took a whole day, needed me to change stations in Paris, a city I'd never been before, where they had a different currency, and spoke a language I only knew from school. And I didn't even have a train ticket all the way, as our local station hadn't been able to organise one. I made it to my destination (Paimpol) without much problems anyway.
I had a great time. Sailed on a 9m Herbulot designed plywood centreboarder, without engine, electricity, or even winches. Learned things I still apply today.
So my parents send me off, and two weeks later I was back, with a lot of stories and nice collection of French swear words.
Apart form a post card they hadn't heard a peep from me. That was normal then...
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:31   #33

I received a text this morning. They had no problem getting a boat out of Genoa. No license, no certification, no proof of competency needed. They left yesterday morning and got as far as Sestri Levante- heading to La Spezia today. Sounds as though they are having the time of their lives.
Ralstonlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:44   #34
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Fantastico!
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 23:57   #35

Boat: X-Yachts Xc-50

Hi,
I am Italian and sailed that area since I was a kid. The coast east of Genova (we call it Riviera di Levante) has plenty of ports, marinas and small bays, all the way down to Tuscany and the Tuscany Archipelago (Capraia, Elba, Gorgona, etc). They have chosen a perfect time of the year to sail. In summer it gets too crowded. They just have to be careful about the weather and listen to forecast. It is an excellent area in Italy for sailing.They'll have a wonderful holiday.
bikesherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 06:24   #36

They had the trip of a lifetime. Made as far as Portovenere with perfect weather all week. Even got their damage deposit back!
Ralstonlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 06:47   #37

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Ralstonian - I was fairly certain that they would have fun and somewhat less certain about the damage deposit; but it is experiences like that where one goes outside the normal envelope that form people. I'm also glad that you posted the update, I've been wondering what had happened on the trip.
Old 19-04-2015, 10:51   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralstonlan View Post
They had the trip of a lifetime. Made as far as Portovenere with perfect weather all week. Even got their damage deposit back!
Great! Hard to go wrong with the Med. Glad they had fun.
europaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat, Italy