Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2015, 08:38   #16

Re: College Students want to Bareboat in Italy

The Med isn't tidal, and that's one of the biggest hurdles for newbies. A 40' boat isn't all that big really, someone familiar with a 30' boat should be able to handle it. I was really very naive and inexperienced on my first charter, as were the others, but we were fine - and that was in hairy scary strongly tidal waters and not great weather. In the Med? As long as they're careful with the weather, then why not? How much sailing experience do you have to 'just know' they're doing something stupid?
europaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 08:49   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
That said, I'm a bit surprised that a charter company would charter to 21 year-olds
What, really? Not speaking about this case, but there are plenty of teenagers out there who are far better qualified than some rich 'older people' who assume that they can just hop in to the biggest boat they can afford once they make a bit of money... It's totally dependent on the individual. Which is why, I suppose, asking for advice on the internet is a bit daft because none of us know the details. The guy with the experience in a 30 footer could be a total sailing whizz kid with years of experience, or may only have a couple of weekends crewing. Someone's clearly satisfied the charter company, and it's their boat.
europaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 09:02   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

Dear FolloowingCS, the original question was searching for an answer for his son and his son's friends. If you are "landlocked in Ohio" I am not so sure you can help the guy unless you hv sailed in the EU before. His question relates to the EU and i have to tell you that there are EU licencing regulations that require some sort of proof that you know what you are doing. OK, within the UK and within the US such proof is not nec but that is not the case in the rest of the EU. Some sort of accreditation is essential.
Old 30-03-2015, 09:25   #19

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMetals View Post
Dear FolloowingCS, the original question was searching for an answer for his son and his son's friends. If you are "landlocked in Ohio" I am not so sure you can help the guy unless you hv sailed in the EU before. His question relates to the EU and i have to tell you that there are EU licencing regulations that require some sort of proof that you know what you are doing. OK, within the UK and within the US such proof is not nec but that is not the case in the rest of the EU. Some sort of accreditation is essential.
Sure, I have no clue on EU sailing, you are correct. Somewhere in the thread, someone questioned his parenting skills. My point was only directed toward that, as I have kids the same age (and was one myself). I even said 'hate to cause thread drift', which now is extended to this crap.

But your original post to him seems very helpful. Interesting that the company would rent him the boat knowing full well the authorities may call him in to question. This is possibly something the father can use, to have his son look in to it. (Still, can't tell the kid, just have him verify for himself.)

~ Following Cs ~
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 10:32   #20

To answer some of the questions. They are 5 boys from US doing a six month physics program at University of Geneva as well as internships at CERN. THese are bright, motivated kids , just not experienced yachtsmen. My son and one other are Level 1 certified sailing instructors- which mean they teach beginners in Opti's and the more experienced in 420's.
My question was aimed at the type of waters, mooring availability, etc., not my parenting skills (or lack of according to some). My worries are more about their lack of experience handling a large boat (40') , navigation and overall safety.
If there is any information that I can pass on to them from some with knowledge of cruising in the area I thought it may be helpful to them.
Ralstonlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 11:05   #21

I would ask him to go over the contract and the potential risks if they do major damage to the boat. Also have him provide an itinerary with costs pulled from local marinas. By having him go thru this exersize, he can come to the realization of what it involved and what the real costs will be. He may still be gung ho or he may scare himself out of it but at least he will be aware of the issues involved.

Otherwise sounds like they should have enough capability and as someone else suggested, drive home that the drinks come out after they are moored.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 12:41   #22

Boat: Sceptre 41

That area of the Med can be very windy or no wind at all. I have spent the last four summers cruising from Cinque Terra to Southern Sardinia. For the most part it was great but last year the weather was horrendous. We should never have left port. We blew up our main sail. I mean shredded it.

Instead of paying for a captain how about getting the kids some sailing lessons. Get them so that they are capable bareboat charters. In the end I think that this may cost the same amount and give them a better skill set.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 12:42   #23

Boat: Albin 36 Express Trawler

Like Suijin, I'd be concerned about the condition of the boat. We had a depressing experience chartering out of Greece with an inexpensive charter company. The fuel gauge was on "empty" the whole time and various other things broke and a sail tore. The students should look at reviews and ask for references for the company.
vlathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 15:40   #24

They have now "downsized" to a 32 foot boat as one of their friends bowed out.
They will either have an adventure of a lifetime or a life-threatening experience. I've checked the weather and it looks calm and cool for the week. Hopefully if they have no wind all week they will have checked where the nearest gas docks are located!
They board tomorrow afternoon.
Old 03-04-2015, 18:53   #25
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Oh yeah looks pretty good. They're lucky for this time of year. Pretty cold though, I hope they're packing their winter woollies!
http://www.myweather2.com/Marine/Coa...?sday=0&eday=7
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 18:55   #26
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
College Students want to Bareboat in Italy

Btw I'd definitely recommend Santa margarita and Portifino as stops. You can do a really nice hike from Santa margarita to Portifino. The marina at Portifino is nice but very expensive.
Also portovenre is a nice stop for some castle exploring and good anchorages.
Livorno is a cool stop. I think they call it the Venice of the west coast because of the canals. Nowhere near as pretty as Venice but still fun to explore in the dinghy. If they get s far as Elba that's got great anchorages all around and a nice marina setup on the main strip. Likely to be pretty quiet everywhere this time of year.
I wouldn't be surprised if a group of young guys just do day sails in and out of genoa and hit the local bars to invite the Italian girls back to their boat every night though. Let us know how they went...
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 03:19   #27

Boat: LM 22

Quote:
In the whole of the EU at least one person on the boat needs to have a licence. It could be any one of the licences issued by an EU state (UK is a bit different but the Yachtmaster coastal or Yachtmaster Offshore is fine. I am sure there are equivalent US certifications but they will need something. In the EU it is not poss to simply jump on a 25-50ft boat and go sailing if nobody onboard has any certification.
It is a gross simplification to say that a license is always needed. In addition to UK, Denmark doesn't require any licenses for nonplaning boats up to a length of 15 meters. From a quick look around the net it seems that Sweden and Finland doesn't require any licenses either. I think it would be far more correct to say something like: In most parts of the EU at least one person on the boat needs to have a licence.

This is a bit off topic so a different thread might be appropriate if this should be discussed any further.
madsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:32   #28

Thank you Monte, hopefully they have done at least a little pre-planning and have a plan to include some or all of your suggestions.
My guess is they will get into some trouble, but hopefully not life-threatening. The seas look calm but they will be cold.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:29   #29

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Ralstonlan, you do not say what nationality these youngsters are or even yr nationality. In the whole of the EU at least one person on the boat needs to have a licence. It could be any one of the licences issued by an EU state (UK is a bit different but the Yachtmaster coastal or Yachtmaster Offshore is fine. I am sure there are equivalent US certifications but they will need something. In the EU it is not poss to simply jump on a 25-50ft boat and go sailing if nobody onboard has any certification.
This is incorrect.

Firstly the EU is not involved in boating licenses whatsoever, not in any way. Licensing is a matter of the flag state basically.
And many states with a sizeable pleasure fleet don't require any licensing.
France doesn't require a licence for a sail boat.
Neither does Belgium.
The Netherlands doesn't require one if the boat is less than 15m in length.
The UK, nor Ireland require licences...
Neither do the Nordic countries.

The countries that do require a licence are the exception, not the rule.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:07   #30

OP made me laugh. I guess this is what is called helicopter parenting these days?

When I was 18 years old I co-lead a 60 day canoe trip across about 1,500 miles of the Canadian Arctic with another eighteen year old with money we earned working crap jobs to pay for the trip. When the trip was over I lived in an Innuit village of about 250 people for about two months.

Saw polar bears in the wild. Went seal, whale, and caribou hunting with the Innuit. (Seal tastes exquisite btw. Whale not so much, soy sauce helps). Got drunk. Got laid. Lived life the way an eighteen year old should.

Truly an amazing and life-changing adventure that taught me how to be self-sufficient and to manage adversity.

I think I maybe sent my parents two letters the whole time. One when we hit civilization and one when I was headed home. My dad has one of the letters framed and hung on his wall. I think he is proud of what I did. Funny it's got blood stains and a couple dead mosquitoes squished into it.

He commented to me the other day how my wife and I were way ahead of the pack as now apparently "Millennials" are all about collecting experiences rather than things unlike some earlier generations. I took it as a compliment, who needs a bunch of stuff anyway.

I will never forget that trip. I hope your son turns his phone off so you can't call to make sure he is okay every five minutes and that he has a great trip!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	99952  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat, Italy