Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 21:24   #61

I know I'm adding my 2 cents a bit late, but I just joined. :-)
I took the ASA 101 course July 4th weekend. While it got me on the water I learned more than I thought I would. I had a bit of sailing experience years ago, but this time I learned the correct way to do things.
MOB was practiced often, each time while a different student was at the helm, and every time it was totallt unexpected. Great training.
We rotated all 4 of the students through each position regularly and had extra time on the water to practice if desired. The instructor encouraged us to keep sailing rather than "go sit in a classroom. There's always time for that."
We practiced things I thought we'd never need, but have used often since, and things not needed since, but known should the need arise.

My wife and I are contemplating the 7 day live aboard class for ASA 103/104 at the San Diego Sailing Academy. Your discussions and comments have bolstered our desire to do this soon.

Thanks,
I need to go study now. :-)
Catalina 22 #2133 "ITLDO"
Tomahawk Bay, Portland, OR
rorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 19:03   #62

Some very good advise here. I also agree that to maximize your instructor lead class, do as much advance training as you can. This type of prep will make it easier for your wife to enjoy it as much as you do. A good book for her is "It's Your Boat Too".

Good luck, Let us know if we can of additional help
Old 26-10-2009, 15:21   #63

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Well Folks... taking the next big step in my future Crusing life...

Signed up for the ASA A+Cat course out of Ft. Lauderdale, this course is a week long live aboard plan that includes:

ASA 101 Basic Sailing
ASA 103 Basic Coastal Crusing
ASA 104 Bareboat Chartering
ASA 114 Crusing Catamaran

I think I will be busy... I am taking this alone and was wondering if anyone had done this one on a CAT and what I could expect from living arrangements:
> Are there single bunks for a bunch of people?
> Does everyone take turns at the Galley (they best not be expecting much more than Hot Dogs when I cook)
> Do you sail at night and take watches?

Any advice besides:

> Take the sea sickness meds in advance
> Learn the knots
> Study the materials
> Ask for the log in advance

Anyting else??

Cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 15:28   #64
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
That sounds similar to what the wife and I signed up for in December. We are doing ours in St. Thomas.
Old 26-10-2009, 15:40   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
capcook,

Do ALL the reading at least 5 times BEFORE you leave. If you don't do that you are in a bad way. There is a LOT of book stuff. It still matters too.

This is a hard nut to crack (all 4 at once) if you don't have some sailing experience. My own opinion is most people can't pass them all in a week if they are green. If you do the first two you are an over achiever or they gave you a pass (happens). This is a great deal if you can handle a boat already but just don't have the book stuff down. You get a week to learn all you can so make that the goal and nothing else. You should learn a boatload!

Since you are doing it anyway, make the most of it - it's still well worth the effort and do all the book work you do BEFORE you leave. Get busy today!

The 101 course is actually hard if you are green. The 104 course is 90% book stuff. The ability to perform the practical parts of the courses is not easy. Personally, if you can pass the whole mess don't feel too confident. The practice that follows is more important. Plan on a lot more practice in various types of weather. The idea is to build real confidence with solid foundation. Doing that is the key.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 16:05   #66

Boat: Charter
Capcook,

When are you taking this? I would really try to get into a two-day ASA 101 course before your week and get out sailing a few times to practice and understand the basics. Your week of courses will go much better, and so will your study preparation for it.

I agree that you need to do all the reading at least five times, but let me suggest the following five passes:
  1. Read everything through once. Spend a few days doing this, and you'll have some idea of the content you are facing.
  2. Read through everything again with a big stack of 3x5 index cards. Write down every term or phrase, draw a picture of every symbol or part, and write the definition/use/explanation on the back. Drill yourself on these cards both ways (given the term know the definition, given the definition know the term). Don't buy flashcards, the process of making them will help you learn. You'll should end up with several hundred flashcards.
  3. Read through the material again very carefully. This pass will take you many, many hours over a few weeks. Now that you know the terms, you'll be able to understand most of what you are reading and trying to learn. Make sure you really understand and know everything you read.
  4. Read and review the material again just before your trip. Keep drilling with the flashcards.
  5. Read and review the material as you learn it in your classes.
I'd also suggest getting, reviewing, and studying another book or two such as the Anapolis Book of Seamanship. The ASA texts really aren't very good in many respects.

Report back here and let us know how it goes!

Good luck and enjoy!
-SEC
sec906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 19:41   #67

Thanks Pblais and SEC906... I think I might be in deep sh_t... I was really hoping to get through all the books ONCE and learn the knots

With the working schedule it is going to be tough to do much more than this... the course is Dec 19-25th, yep, my christmas present to myself

I am kinda hoping not many others will want to do it that week and I will have the boat to myself and the instructor...

At any rate, if you don't hear from me after the 25th figure I crashed and burned (oops that's from the flying days, perhaps sank is more appropriate)... I will get what I can from it... that is good advice...

Cheers
Old 26-10-2009, 19:59   #68

Boat: Charter
Two months away? That's enough time, you can do it. Now off with you! Go study! You don't have time to be browsing the Internet!

Oh, and about the knots: make a list from the text and check out animatedknots.com. Then practice them as many different ways as you can--tie it to the bottom of your chair leg, reach over the stair banister and tie it from the other side, wrap your arms around a post and tie it, tie it to a pole, to a ring, over your head, while someone is putting a load on the rope, etc.
sec906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 20:01   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Look at it this way.

You are there for a week to learn all you can. Forget about everything else. The reading helps a lot. Part of the course is just learning the ways considered appropriate and the language and the basic ideas to get you started out on the right foundation. If you come back smarter and had a fun time then you know sailing is something you can stick with. The learning part should still be fun too. This isn't something you come back making lots of money. Worry about the learning and having fun at the same time part. Overall it may end up being the cheapest sailing you'll ever get. I really think a one week trip costs me more than a one week sailing course given I own the boat free and clear.

So ha ha to all those that stayed home. Sailing is mostly about showing up. It's not like a one week flying lessons course.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 18:18   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec906 View Post
Two months away? That's enough time, you can do it. Now off with you! Go study! You don't have time to be browsing the Internet!
Aye Aye... I am off to study now...

cheers

Tags
asa