Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2014, 14:45   #1

Trawlers

Are Trawlers seaworthy enough to go from Florida thru Bahamas to the Caribbean and beyond? 40-50 ft size.
MartinAither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 14:54   #2

Re: Trawlers

http://youtu.be/Dlw-psIYrgQ. Have a look at this link, I think it will answer your question

Some models and makes might help us

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 15:01   #3

I was looking at cruiser trawlers, Tradewind, Defever, Marine Trader, Mainship.
MartinAither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 15:02   #4

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

If each passage is no longer than 2-3 days and you watch your weather, almost all trawlers in the 40-50' range can do it safely. You can get to the Caribbean that way, via the Bahamas, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and on to the Caribbean.

If you want to be able to do a 5-6 day passage from the nearest port at then there are very few trawlers that I would consider safe for that mission.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 15:03   #5
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinAither View Post
Are Trawlers seaworthy enough to go from Florida thru Bahamas to the Caribbean and beyond? 40-50 ft size.
Of course they will. And smaller. Where you can go is largely restricted by your draft. We're planning on going one day on a 31' trawler.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 15:06   #6

"Trawler" has become a generic term encompassing many different types of vessels. If you are interested in a blue water cruising trawler, then you should consider Nordhavn, Krogen or Selenes. These are full displacement vessels that can handle rough conditions and are fuel efficient. We have taken our Selene 47 from Ft. Lauderdale non-stop to Rhode Island (7x24 hours) offshore and taken her back to the Bahamas. Similar size vessels have traversed the Atlantic and crossed the Pacific. It just so happens my Selene 47 is for sale if you want a real trawler!! PM me if you want details.
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 15:12   #7

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

Diesel ducks are another good example of true seaworthy vessels, though don't call them trawlers. The designer hates trawlers with a passion.

Technically speaking, a trawler is a ship that bulldozes the sea bottom to catch bottom dwelling fish and seafood.

He calls them trollers as in rod and reel fishing designs. However it is the class of boat you are referring to.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 15:16   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Have a look at this thread:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ic-130411.html
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 16:56   #9

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall

Rich and Julie on Dauntless, a 42' Krogen in the Power thread have made it to the Azores, another 42' Krogen recently did the Canal to Galapagos to Marquesas trip and are cruising the South Pacific. Nordhavns from 40' up have done RTW. So, the short answer is yes.
JayCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 17:28   #10

Of course they can.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 21:13   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Nordhavn
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 04:37   #12

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinAither View Post

It depends.

First, you should become aware that there are trawlers, and then there are trawlers. Lots of debate about true hull form, number of engines, required horsepower, which is really a trawler, which is better, yaddy yaddy yadda... Have a look at trawlerforum.com (sister site) for discussion.

Second, there are trawlers and then there are trawlers. Some build standard easily cover coastal waters, some are fine for quick shots to nearby Bahamas... and then some are OK for "beyond." Nordhavn are probably the most well-known production boats for the "beyond," Mainship might be thought of as coastal or extended coastal (that's not a criticism), lots of other brands near each end and in between.

See also "Voyaging Under Power" by Richard Beebe.

-Chris
Old 22-08-2014, 16:19   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I found this topic and the points made up above very interesting, and somewhat surprising too. I assumed more MY owners would have a very positive position on cruising that area.

I am interested in this topic because I had thought of the same question as OP and was wondering if a Marine Trader 40' Sun Deck would be good for making the trip from Florida to most of the islands (Bahamas and then South) for a few years of liveaboard and cruising there. It is not stabilized, it is not designed like a Nordhavn and it is not a Diesel Duck. While those boats do exist (as well as other types and longer/larger vessels) I was wondering what life would be like cruising that Marine Trader trawler (it cruises at about 6-8 kt). If anyone thinks it would be foolish or unsafe or uncomfortable in that boat cruising that area, feel free to post your comments. I would like to get some opinions.

I posted the above in another thread related to living aboard a MY in Caribbean. I am also interested in how a smaller trawler (40 foot mentioned above) would do for cruising the Caribbean (as the topic of this thread is about that).

While I know others may say "go with Nordhavn or Diesel Duck" and those would surely be NICE to have, they are not possible for all people due to their high cost.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 16:22   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We have a friend who took a 40' Defever from California thru the Panama Canal, up the amazon, down to Argentina, around Cape Horn, and up and down the Patagonian channels.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 05:14   #15

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post

I am interested in this topic because I had thought of the same question as OP and was wondering if a Marine Trader 40' Sun Deck would be good for making the trip from Florida to most of the islands (Bahamas and then South) for a few years of liveaboard and cruising there. It is not stabilized, it is not designed like a Nordhavn and it is not a Diesel Duck. While those boats do exist (as well as other types and longer/larger vessels) I was wondering what life would be like cruising that Marine Trader trawler (it cruises at about 6-8 kt). If anyone thinks it would be foolish or unsafe or uncomfortable in that boat cruising that area, feel free to post your comments. I would like to get some opinions.

There's a Marine Trader club... think it's called Owners Association (MTOA) out there somewhere.

-Chris

Tags
trawler