Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 13:07   #46
cruiser

Boat: Chris Craft Corinathian 331 & Chris Craft Constellation 501
Re: The Perfect Atlantic Intracoastal Vacation Boat

Consider comparing net weight in pound per running foot when comparing vessels... that will give you a pretty good idea how strong the vessel is in accurate numbers.

Example:

CC Constellation 501
net weight 49,000# divided by length 50 = 990 lbs per foot

You will find a 53ft Hatteras come in around 1200+ lbs per foot

Bayliners you don't even want to know!
biminijimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 16:14   #47

This Egg Harbor would come in at 552.7 lbs per foot. Is that good? I gather that would be a good thing for fuel consumption, no?

I went back for a second look today and spent about 2 hours inspecting her. Overall she is in really nice shape. In 2008 the deck and catwalks were stripped, repaired where needed and re-finished. The bridge was also completely stripped and repaired. The aft windshield area was totally glassed which I was pleased to see. If I were to do this deal my plan would be to eventually scrape rot, treat and fill all the exterior wood in the bridge and rubrail. I found a decent amount of rot in some areas of the rubrail. The wood bridge was solid as it had been previously repaired.

Next Wednesday I go back with my mechanic for what he is telling me would be a 4-6 hour jaunt on the Egg.
NY GIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 18:09   #48

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by biminijimini View Post
Consider comparing net weight in pound per running foot when comparing vessels... that will give you a pretty good idea how strong the vessel is in accurate numbers.

Example:

CC Constellation 501
net weight 49,000# divided by length 50 = 990 lbs per foot

You will find a 53ft Hatteras come in around 1200+ lbs per foot

Bayliners you don't even want to know!
That rule of thumb pretty much went out with the upcoming of composites...

Some of the heaviest turds are just that....

But I will give you that pre-90s...it was a generally accepted guideline for displacement power boats and many sailboats
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 18:20   #49

1973 Egg Harbor 38' Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Look at the comment right in the description...

"There are none of the typical Egg Harbor water problems. The bilge is clean and fresh, the bulkheads are solid and free from rot."

A LOT of Eggs were neglegected and suffer from the "rot" problems...just make sure the stringers and bulkheads are solid...big work if they are not...also the windows and cabin sides can be an issue as well as soft spots in the flying bridge. Most boats from the 70s to early 1990s you have to watch these areas carefully...especially the Eggs.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:43   #50

Yes I am aware of these neglected Eggs. It seems this one was ridden hard but has been somewhat brought back to live from its current owner. I have no intentions of running her hard. In fact I am very torn between this Egg or semi-displacement sedan style boat and a trawler. Uuugggggg
Old 12-03-2011, 06:28   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY GIN View Post
Yes I am aware of these neglected Eggs. It seems this one was ridden hard but has been somewhat brought back to live from its current owner. I have no intentions of running her hard. In fact I am very torn between this Egg or semi-displacement sedan style boat and a trawler. Uuugggggg
beware of the semi-displacement boats...some are designed correctly and some aren't...

some of those older Silvertons, Carvers, etc types get a whopping 1/4 mile to the gallon at displacement speeds...maybe less.

yes run at slow speeds thet aren't bad...but then why not just get a trwaler that's designed to go slow...unless your buddy owns the fuel dock.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:09   #52

.... and then again it sure would be nice to have the option to drop the hammer should the mood strike!
Old 12-03-2011, 09:18   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY GIN View Post
.... and then again it sure would be nice to have the option to drop the hammer should the mood strike!
I guess...that's not the cruising I enjoy...guess I'd rather spend the money at the tiki bar than the fuel pump.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:33   #54

AGREED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

..... but if the mood strikes and I have a pocket full of cash, why not have the Tiki Bar on the boat while cruising at 22 snots? whooo hooooo
Old 14-03-2011, 07:47   #55

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

My 36' mainship is for sale. It has been a perfect ICW boat, that is what I have used it for for years. With an occasional offshore jaunt. .9 miles per gallon at planing speeds, but much better at trawler speeds. It gives you the option of making time when needed. Lower helm for bad weather. All the frills of a family coastal cruiser. If I wasn't planning on making an ocean crossing I would keep it.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 10:31   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
My 36' mainship is for sale. It has been a perfect ICW boat, that is what I have used it for for years. With an occasional offshore jaunt. .9 miles per gallon at planing speeds, but much better at trawler speeds. It gives you the option of making time when needed. Lower helm for bad weather. All the frills of a family coastal cruiser. If I wasn't planning on making an ocean crossing I would keep it.
Let's Trade!!
Old 20-07-2011, 19:54   #57

Talking Re: The Perfect Atlantic Intracoastal Vacation Boat

Bringing this thread back from the dead ....

I ended up getting the '72 38' Egg last Friday and absolutely love her! We took the 3 hour slow cruise home and ran her most of the way in the ocean at about 8 knots. She's a great boat in need of a little TLC which I've already begun to give. My first order of business is to restore the teak deck and cat walks and puddy/fill the rub rails, sand and stain. Would love to get this done by August 19th as that's our first boat party we are having with 4 other couples at Zacks Bay to chill and enjoy the Jimmy Buffett concert!
Old 26-07-2011, 20:36   #58

Boat: Catamaran Cruisers Aqua Cruiser 41

I did the ICW from Atlantic City, NJ to Northwest of Tampa, FL, 1700 miles exactly on my GPS odometer including some small retracing and side trips.

Nothing special about that except I did it in a 40 foot houseboat. I have to say all houseboats are not created equal and the Catamaran Cruisers boat I have did pretty darn good especially with its 20 inches of draft and economical 115 hp Yamaha outboard.

We made almost a hundred miles a day while people I would meet along the way were waiting for tides or some other nonsense and maybe making 40 miles a day.

Delaware Bay, Chesapeake Bay, Abemarle Sound, Pamlico sound are all large bodies of water subject to pretty good blow ups. You have to watch the weather there unless your boat can take it.

The right houseboat can do it, but I'd rather have something more seaworthy.

Look for a boat with the following attributes:

1. Shallow draft. The ICW is a mess, it is not 12 feet deep. In some places it is a couple of feet deep at low tide. Your chart plotter will be wrong in many places. Temporary markers may not have been put in place to keep ya out of hazards. Shallow draft allows ya to anchor more places and worry a lot less on the way, and make more miles.

2. Low Air-draft. Bridges are everywhere. Some only operate at certain times. The lower your air-draft the less ya have to mess around with planning for the next bridge.

3. Ability to pick up the speed. You will be 6-8 knots much of the time for various no wake zones and just to save fuel. If you are trying to make the next marina before dark or a certain bridge opening it is nice to be able to dash a few miles and thus save yourself a ton of hassles. I did not have this option and often ended up traveling in the dark in unfamiliar waters, no biggie but if you don't have your act together you can more easily screw up in the dark.

Other than those pick the boat you are comfortable on.
dc9loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:58   #59

IMHO....check out Carri-Craft. It's an older manufacture of catamaran houseboats. There is one on "Buy Cheaper" for 135K, not sure which size it was. There are several pilot house styles and I have seen 42' to 65' on the market. Most were very nice. Built from around '70 to the mid 80s I think. Then the company was purchase as I recall and a few at about 42' were built in the early mid 90s, then closed.

I would not go off shore in any houseboat, except a Carri-Craft. They have been sailed from Panama to Cali. Elvis had one as well as the Governor of Mo. Guess they were big bucks then, being the top line of houseboats and now very reasonable. Very roomy for any 42' craft and the 57' and 65' I saw were just hotels on the water but very seaworthy for what they are, cats. One has a wood burning fireplace!

Seems, at least from pics of the ones I've seen, most appear to be well cared for. I'd have a survey done, but would love to have one. It would be a liveaboard for sure, heck, I could put a motorcycle on board with no problem and really do some touring!
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 13:49   #60

Boat: Manta 44 PC Pangaea

I have your IDEAL ICW/great loop coastal cruising boat... Manta 44' Power Cat
2.5' draft with props in a protected tunnel, <3 GPH at 8 knots with 20 knot capability to catch that next low bridge, 14' air draft to clear most bridges.

Check it out at Manta 44' Power Cat "PANGAEA" FOR SALE BY OWNER BASICS

SailorGene
Sailor-Gene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vacation