Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2011, 13:55   #16

Re: The Perfect Atlantic Intracoastal Vacation Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Having looked at Eggs when I bought my last liveaboard boat (37 Silverton with factory installed 3208 Cats)....one....most of the pre-90 Eggs were pretty rotten throughout unless they were the few higher priced ones...putting small diesels in her would help but would just take a mediocre boat and take her farther from her original design use...big diesels and even at slow speeds the best you will see is around 2 nmpg.

I do have a lot to learn about these larger cruisers. I have had a ton of great things about the Egg, especially the 72 - 76 thick fiberglass hulls, s so your comment is a little surprising. With that said, another fav or mine is the 37 Silverton just like yours!!
NY GIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 14:13   #17

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

I visited the UK last summer and Diesel was over $8.00 / gal. The Stateside prices on fuel have been kept abnormally low for decades. Looking around at all the world unrest, it looks like a "correction" in the marketplace may be looming.

Fuel economy may become much more of an issue.

Just a thought... M.
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 14:20   #18

Boat: Caliber LRC40 "Seaquel"
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY GIN
From what I undertand, that passage would consist of all protected waters no?
I was just at a seminar with Ralph Naranjo who relayed that he has crossed "the Horn", the Tasman Sea, Cape of Good Hope and the only conditions that made him turn back was in Albermarle Sound.

Caveat Nauta
Monkeynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 14:32   #19

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY GIN View Post
I do have a lot to learn about these larger cruisers. I have had a ton of great things about the Egg, especially the 72 - 76 thick fiberglass hulls, s so your comment is a little surprising. With that said, another fav or mine is the 37 Silverton just like yours!!
Be careful "who" you hear those great things from...brokers??? current or former Egg owners??? Check with people that repair them routinely or delivery captains that run a variety of boats...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 14:35   #20

Great info guys, thanks. Please keep it coming!
Old 23-02-2011, 15:02   #21

Quote:
Be careful "who" you hear those great things from...brokers??? current or former Egg owners??? Check with people that repair them routinely or delivery captains that run a variety of boats...

Very true, always consider the source. What type of fuel per hour do you burn on your Silverton say at 8 ~ 10 knots?
Old 23-02-2011, 15:40   #22

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Very true, always consider the source. What type of fuel per hour do you burn on your Silverton say at 8 ~ 10 knots?
8-10 knots on a semi displacement hull is gut wrenching...I'm guessing it was in the range of 15 gallons per houror about 0.75 NMPG.

At 20 knots it was 20 gallons an hour for 1.0 NMPG which was great for that class boat (mid sized express / sportfish).

If I wanted to cruise her...I would shut one engine down and run the other at about 1000 rpm and she would burn about 2.5 - 3 gal per hour at 5-6 knots or 2.0 NMPG. So you see...slowing down helps but only to a degree...hull shape and cubic inches are important.

I'm hoping my 40 foot 1988 Albin gets around 4 NMPG at 5-6 knots. She only gets 2.3 NMPG at 7.5 knots. That's a trawler with a single 135hp diesel.

Boats in the 35-45 range are gonna hate anything from 8-15 knots and then they better be planing...just a function of size, hp and hull design. The vessels that may do 8-10 knots efficiently wmight be a few power cats.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 15:55   #23

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
PDQ Power Cats

Those PDQ power cats look pretty good for what you have planned.
They come on 32' older and 34' for the new ones.
Look like they have a few on YachtWorld.

Here is just one example.
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=74873&url=

They make them in Rhode Island now in Pearson Composites.
Welcome to PDQ Power Catamarans

Great for shallow water and you can beach them.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 16:39   #24

Ugggg, I'm in trouble!!
Old 24-02-2011, 11:24   #25

Just got back from looking at the 38' Egg Harbor. Gotta tell yah, I really like this boat. She doesn't have an aft cabin and only one head, but her size is nice. Want to find a local trawler to poke around in now ........
Old 25-02-2011, 09:04   #26

Any Tojan MY owners out there? l am looking at a '73 53' Trojan MY this weekend.
Old 26-02-2011, 16:23   #27

Boat: 43' Vista Aft Cabin 'Victoria"

Quote:
8-10 knots on a semi displacement hull is gut wrenching...I'm guessing it was in the range of 15 gallons per houror about 0.75 NMPG.

At 20 knots it was 20 gallons an hour for 1.0 NMPG which was great for that class boat (mid sized express / sportfish).

If I wanted to cruise her...I would shut one engine down and run the other at about 1000 rpm and she would burn about 2.5 - 3 gal per hour at 5-6 knots or 2.0 NMPG. So you see...slowing down helps but only to a degree...hull shape and cubic inches are important.

I'm hoping my 40 foot 1988 Albin gets around 4 NMPG at 5-6 knots. She only gets 2.3 NMPG at 7.5 knots. That's a trawler with a single 135hp diesel.

Boats in the 35-45 range are gonna hate anything from 8-15 knots and then they better be planing...just a function of size, hp and hull design. The vessels that may do 8-10 knots efficiently wmight be a few power cats.
__________________________________________________ ___________
Huh? I would recheck your numbers. I have a 43' 34,000lb planing hull with twin Turbocharged CAT 3208 TA engines (375 HP ea) which is definitely not your average displacement hull single, in fact I would not dream of calling it fuel efficient. BUT, the numbers you are quoting don't match ours. Without boring you with the entire chart, hear are some fuel consumption numbers for our boat. We ran the boat on two runs, one Northbound and one Southbound recently over a 100 mile course to calculate fuel burn and ran the specified RPM for a specific period of time from a measured tank and we also captured and measured the return fuel. The results were averaged and temperature adjusted to yield our consumption chart. I have a high degree of confidence in these results.

Running on both engines:
1,500 rpm = 8 gph @10.1 knots 1.26 nmpg
1,400 rpm = 7 gph @ 9.2 knots 1.31 nmpg
1,300 rpm = 5 gph @ 8.3 knots 1.66 nmpg
1,200 rpm = 4 gph @ 7.4 knots 1.88 nmpg
1,100 rpm = 3 gph @ 6.6 knots 2.2 nmpg

Again this is a relatively heavy planing hull boat. A semi displacement (semi planing?) boat should be much better. We did not test with a single engine, but I guess is may be less fuel consumed. We will check that next month.
Two caveats: On the weekend we ran the boat we ran just offshore in maybe 2' of chop, pretty smooth. Heavy seas or winds would affect our numbers correspondingly of course.
The speed numbers are from our GPS' (two units) but the rpms are from the boat tachs which are not calibrated and the true rpms probably vary from the gauges, but the gph & nmpg are unaffected by this.
There are plenty of boats out there, don't get discouraged.
Old 26-02-2011, 16:33   #28

Quote:
Any Tojan MY owners out there? l am looking at a '73 53' Trojan MY this weekend.
I really liked this boat! She is in need of a ton of work so I am going to pass on her. If I could live on her for a year, not work and devote myself to her full time then she would be mine....... now back to reality .....
Old 27-02-2011, 09:18   #29

Boat: Grady White 283 Release 28'

For the kind of marina living with occasional ICW trips you describe, you should consider an older fly bridge cruiser. A Hatteras 43 double cabin, an older Hatteras 53 would offer considerable comfort while you are in a marina and would be able to do ICW trips without a problem.

The older Hatteras fly bridge cruisers were solidly made and hold their value. You will not get great fuel economy from the older Cat's or GM diesels but if you are simply moving the boat north to south and reverse every year the higher fuel costs will be more than offset by the lower acquisition cost.

Other boats to consider are fly bridge Bayliners, Silvertons, Cruiser Inc., and Sea Rays. People on this blog might scoff at those brands as not being up to the quality of a Nordhavn, Kadey Krogen or Grand banks, but for your limited cruising goals they would be fine. And it is very much a buyer's market for mid-tier brand used boats so if you take your time and negotiate carefully you could end up with a lot of boat for your buck.

I would be hesitant to buy a real older boat like a 1970's Trojan or Bayliner because you will be facing an endless stream of equipment breakdowns and maintenance demands unless the boat had been pretty thoroughly renovated by a prior owner. I would stick to 1980's or newer, and the newer the better if possible.
jsschieff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 17:50   #30

Boat: Bristol 32

I am looking toward retirement and cruising. Could you give me the advantages of a trawler over a sailboat? Thanks for help in making a decision.

Tags
vacation