Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2016, 06:23   #1

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Suggestions for small (18'-21') cabin cruisers?

Since moving back to land and starting full-time work again, I've found my boating style has changed pretty dramatically. Rather than having a week to meander about in my sailboat, anchored out, and enjoying a relaxed schedule; I generally only have a few hours - which limits my range on the sailboat significantly. My 5' draft has also been a problem more than a couple of times! When the wind is blowing, I'm generally taking out our sail-skiff anyways as it's easier to get to and more fun closer to the water! So the big sailboat goes unused, and I bridle at the winter storage costs.

I'm thinking that a small, 18' to 21' cabin cruiser would be the ideal solution to my time-pressed weekends and desire to see more of the Chesapeake, but I think these might be have gone the way of pocket cruising catamarans in that manufacturers find their production dollars earn better returns in larger sizes. Does anyone have suggestions for production models or home-builts to be on the lookout for? Even the right search terms for Google elude me. Usage would be on rivers and the Chesapeake Bay, so no demand for an 'offshore' boat. I would phrase my requirements as follows, though am happy to hear suggestions:

- Easily Driven with Good Fuel Consumption. I drive a hybrid and am a sailor, so I'm still concerned about keeping fuel use down, even with the shift to a powerboat!
- Small - 21' is about as big as I want to go unless there is substantial benefit to something larger. I figure it's easier to tow, easier to store, easier to build, more speed for same engine power, etc. I generally try to get the smallest boat that will suit my needs, and there is a needed occupancy of just one person
- Speed - I'd like to get to a minimum of 15-20 knots on plane
- Pretty - Most of the small production cabin cruisers I see have generally tried to cram a bunch of living space into a small shell, resulting in absurdly bulbous boats. I'm looking for something that has more of a vintage, runabout appearance.
- Towing ability - I have a niece and nephew, so the ability to pull them in a tube or on skis would be an added bonus
- Power Agnostic - With 90 hp outboards less than $10k new, that would seem like the best approach, but I'm happy to put a box in the cockpit to house a diesel or gas inboard, go electric (provided I can get 4 hours at planing speed out of it), or any combination of the above

These requirements rule out most of the small trawlers which is where it seems a lot of the industry has put their focus (for example, the Nomad can't get fast enough, and though some of the mini-trawlers can apparently get to 15-20 knots, they need a 200 hp engine to do it). Since pictures are worth a thousand words, this is what I've been looking at so far (all home-builds, haven't yet found a production version of what I'm looking for).

Ted Brewer's Herrick Bay: Speeds up to 15 knots with a 50 hp outboard (and can go with more power), 20' long and a good mix of cockpit and sleeping space.

Wes Farmer Simplex or Sundance

Any number of the cabin cruiser home-build designs found at Svensons

Bluejacket 24 - a bit longer than I'd like, but probably the most modern and thoughtful design I've found so far.

Any thoughts on any additional boats to look for, or on ways to evaluate the designs, would be welcome. I'm still probably a year or two away from either starting construction or buying (want to sell the big boat first to avoid angering the neighbors), so have a long window. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Herrick-Bay-20.gif
Views:	755
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	134300  
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 06:11   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Suggestions for small (18'-21') cabin cruisers?

Might depend on what you mean by "cabin" but I see by your examples that you're not necessarily meaning a flybridge boat?

Just for comparison purposes, you might look at small SeaRay Sundancers, Parkers, C-Dory, Rosborough, Ranger, and Judge to see if any of those styles seem to float your boat. If so, each of those probably has competition in that same style that you could shop on. And there are some power catamarans in that size range, too, I think.

Another shopping technique is to search on cuddy cabins and walk-around cabins.

FWIW, Judge Yachts are made on the Choptank...

-Chris
Old 30-10-2016, 06:36   #3

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

C-Dory 22 Cruiser.

Hard to beat for a well-designed, quality built, seaworthy, small light and efficient cruiser. Ours weighed maybe 3500 lb, with 90hp outboard, 58 gallons of gas, loaded for a 2-month criuise of SE Alaska. Max speed was close to 30, but we cruised at 14-18 knots, getting 3 nmpg with our 2-stroke 90hp Yamaha. Modern four-stroke would get much better mileage. Sleeps 2-3, two-burner stove. She towed very well with a 1989 Nissan Pathfinder, maybe 180 hp.
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 07:15   #4

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

I was going to say in that size you are most likely talking about a cuddy cabin boat. Was going to say look at Bayliner Trophy series. That was until I saw the Cape Dory 22. Now that is the Bees knees and Cats meow.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 07:30   #5

Thanks for the many suggestions, Chris! In this size range, probably not a fly bridge with the extra weight. Some good looking and light smaller (cuddy) cabin boats from those brands that would fit the bill, and local too!

New Moon-I think your boat and YouTube videos (or another cdory 22 owners) are actually what got me thinking of this. The trouble is I watched it four years ago, then had to get the sailing thing out of the way first, and by the time I circled back couldn't remember the boat brand! Can't tell you how many times I google 'nimble Alaska cruise' trying to find it. Thanks for chiming in and the cdory is at the very top of the list now that I know what she's called!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 30-10-2016, 08:07   #6

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
Thanks for the many suggestions, Chris! In this size range, probably not a fly bridge with the extra weight. Some good looking and light smaller (cuddy) cabin boats from those brands that would fit the bill, and local too!

Afterthought: 21' is maybe pretty hard to meet!

Is there are reason so small? Need to trailer? Limited storage? Just a WAG? Or...?

I'm thinking you might find 10x as many options if you consider maybe up to 24'.

There's an older Trojan in our marina that looks similar to some of your pics. Also looks like it's built like a tank, may weigh a gazillion lbs. But I'm guessing it's at least 24', maybe slightly more.

In any case, a C-Dory with a decent fuel-injected four stroke could probably come close to about as good as it gets, when it comes to having at least some decent interior.

-Chris
Old 30-10-2016, 08:22   #7

The CDory's are pretty cool. IIRC they are pretty flat bottomed though so keep that in mind.
You should just find a boat you like I think, building is a big thing and takes most people years to complete. Additionally not worth much when you sell. Although some of the stitch and glue Devlin designs hold their value better than a typical home built wood boat, take a look at those. They often look a bit like the Bluejacket above.
I share your dislike for most of the modern style bulbous boats that you cant even get to the foredeck on.
My last towable was a 24 ft with inboard V8. They are heavy to tow for sure. You need to decide if you want a galley. In a 21 probably not. I had mixed feelings about having one on the 24 and might have rather had the space. It seems easy to cook in the cockpit with a camp stove.
Definitely think about finding something with an enclosed head for privacy.
http://store.devlinboat.com/chinook-21.aspx

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 08:27   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Afterthought: 21' is maybe pretty hard to meet!

Is there are reason so small? Need to trailer? Limited storage? Just a WAG? Or...?

I'm thinking you might find 10x as many options if you consider maybe up to 24'.
Haha, it's definitely a WAG that is flexible. It looked like 18'-21' is about as small as one could go and still have a bit of cockpit as well as two berths. Trying to go as small as meets the basic needs to get better fuel consumption rates and higher speeds with a smaller motor. There is also towing capacity with my current truck rated for 5,000 lbs. The 26' sundancer is stated to weigh 6,700 lbs dry, so I imagine 24' (at least in the bulky cabin cruisers), may max me out. The boat will cost more than a decent used truck in practically any scenario so it could make sense to get a new tow vehicle, but I just finished working on my current one! You are right of course that bigger means many more options. A lot of manufacturers smallest cabin model seems to be the 24'-26' range - like small cruising cats I fear small cabin cruisers may be an orphan market segment!

Boat storage itself is free and abundant in both water and land, so could definitely go bigger, I just wasn't sure if the benefits (stand up shower, real marine head) would outweigh the costs (bigger motor, more weight) for a boat that I'll mostly only use some weekends.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 30-10-2016, 08:28   #9

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Yes, pretty flat-bottomed at the transom. That and light weight is what enables them to plane at 12 knots, and run on plane so efficiently.

OTOH, they don't just breeze smoothly through a 2-foot chop. We would slow to 14 or so, to mush through the chop more comfortably when it was slamming us too much.

Towing: Our Pathfinder was rated for 3,500 lb, and worked well, often towing hundreds of mountainous miles between our home in Utah and launch points. It had an upgraded off-road suspension, and manual transmission. As long as we were willing to forego going uphill at 70mph, and let the engine and gears do the work at more modest uphill speeds, we were fine. We also towed with an Isuzu Trooper rated for 5,000 lb, from here to Prince Rupert and back. Unless your tows are short and mostly flat, don't think you'd want to go much heavier than the CD22 with a truck rated for 5,000 lb.
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 08:57   #10

I think the crowd responding have pretty much hit the nail on the head. C-dories and or similar craft are really hard to beat for a small seaworthy craft and have the track record to prove it. I would also include Clippercraft in your search which maybe a more affordable option.
For classic Plastic believe it or not Dorset Catalina's and equivalent are a great little cruiser's that were heavily built, seaworthy and can be picked up on the cheap. They also match the lines of the boat you were showing the line drawings for.
As for plans look at Tad Robers designs for a craft in your range. He has some really nice trawler type boat designs that will work perfect for what you are looking for.
Wayfarer1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 09:26   #11

I'm doing the same as you want to do, that is, selling my Hunter 27 sailboat and getting a Ranger Tug. There is a 21 foot tug that is quite popular and it can be had either with an outboard or inboard motor.

I elected to go with the Ranger Tug 25SC and my wife and I want to do a little cruising. By the way, we're both in our eighties. Good luck on finding your boat.
Moreorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 09:31   #12

One thing I didn't mention above. An inboard V8 replacement engine is about $1600 for a long block. A big outboard is probably $10k-18k. No labor included. If you are buying new this wont matter so much, if used, be careful.
C Dory's will loosen your fillings if you try to plane thru a 2-3 ft chop. But if you learn to move slow thru that stuff they are reportedly great.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 09:39   #13

This one IMO is pretty close to your target, except may be the price which is a bit (a lot?) off. Originally sold as Sisu 22 or later Lowell 22. My buddy the European naval architect/boat builder once said that Sisu 22 was one of the few good and workable designs as far as sea kindliness, speed to power ratios, etc is concerned on a 20-22' power boat. Unfortunately most were built either as cc or a pilot house. Personally if I were getting out of sailing and into power boating this particular one would be on my top 3-4 list to consider, especially if I could fit a diesel onto it. BTW dry load is only 3,500lbs.

2001 North Shore Boat Works North Shore 22 - Sisu Hull Power

Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 09:40   #14

I like the C-Dory 22. It is more oriented towards fishing, but they also have the Venture 23, which has a slightly deeper V for less slamming in chop and I think more insulation and some other features that add a little weight and cost.
The Devlin 22 Surf Scoter might be a good choice as he has designed versions for a diesel inboard or an outboard depending on your preference. They will also build it for you unless you wanted to build one at home.
I would also look at the Haber Yachts 700MSD which is a semi displacement boat about 22 feet, or the 700MPL which is the planing version. The MSD has a diesel up to 85hp and can do 13knots and the planing version can go 25 knots with 175hp.
I think Jeanneau has a Merry Fisher line and Beneteau has entered the small cruiser markets too.
Old 30-10-2016, 09:52   #15

I just sold my cruising sail boat and thought i was finished with boating until i had the opportunity to buy a baby cape, 21"x 8", about 6" draft, 4500 lbs, with 90hp etec engine, love it, will plane at about 15 knots but much more pleasant at 6 to 7 knots. i will try to attach a pic. and the price was only about $10k, ready to go with gps,radio,depth,new head, small cocpit, enclosed helm station, and v birth. i may take it down the ICW at some point.
Classicsailboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruiser, cruise, cabin