Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2016, 18:55   #1

Slip next to pump out station

I am considering renting a slip that is on the T of my marina. The pump out station is on this T. I would be able to use the pump out station without moving my boat. Question this newbie has is that is there a reason not to use this is because of it's proximity to the pump out station ? Is it correct to assume no odors will come from the pump out station ?

I am wondering why this slip is still not rented this far into the season. Do I smell a rat or .......
Wolfgang6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 19:37   #2

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38
Re: Slip next to pump out station

I have never had dealings with a smelly pump out station. If it's stinky, they have big problems as they would be dumping raw sewage!

I would be much more concerned with the relentless parade of poorly skilled helmsmen ( or helms woman ) targeting your boat to cushion their impact while enroute to the crapper station. Oh, and what are the hours that the sucker outer is operating, and is it noisy?
Old 02-07-2016, 06:51   #3

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Shouldn't be a problem. Many newer marinas have pump outs at every slip. There should be no odor...unless there is a leak which should be repaired immediately.

You might want to spend some time there on a weekend and listen for noise.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:53   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesarsten View Post
I have never had dealings with a smelly pump out station. If it's stinky, they have big problems as they would be dumping raw sewage!

I would be much more concerned with the relentless parade of poorly skilled helmsmen ( or helms woman ) targeting your boat to cushion their impact while enroute to the crapper station. Oh, and what are the hours that the sucker outer is operating, and is it noisy?

Exactly right on.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 02-07-2016, 09:28   #5

There could be some smell I suppose. I would be more worried about people pulling in and out constantly.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:29   #6

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

When the pump out is being used there is usually a slight smell. At least in our marina, you can definitely smell when it's being used... and the run to the city sewer is extremely short. It just stinks.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:47   #7

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

It will stink. You will hear a lot of commotion as weekend warriors come in to pump out for the first time in 6 months.

We were in Shoreline Marina in long beach. The pump out is on A dock, also home to the largest yachts. Always cracked me up that the mega yacht crowd had to share the dock with the crapper, enjoying your 60ft yacht with the smell of poo in the air.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:54   #8
cruiser

Don't do it, wait for a better location. People constantly coming and going and asking you fot assistance or why it's not working.

Do you really want to be walking across that dock, then stepping onto your boat? Yuck.

Don't do it.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:48   #9

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Don't do it, wait for a better location. People constantly coming and going and asking you fot assistance or why it's not working.

Do you really want to be walking across that dock, then stepping onto your boat? Yuck.

Don't do it.
+1, yeah the why isn't it working and where can i find a working one questions would get annoying fast!
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote