Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 19:36   #1

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28
Manual Pump for Holding Tank Pump Out at Sea

to appease the coastguard etc., and for simplicity (no y valves) my head set up is going to be as follows, water in to head pump thru vented loop to toilet, toilet goes to holding tank, holding tank vent eliminates the need for vented loop, holding tank will have an outlet for a deck fitting and one to go out the seacock, since realistically most will be going out the seacock (good excuse to go sailing every two weeks if only to pump it out between passages) i would rather not rely on gravity but have a manual pump to assist,

what is the manual pump for this job?

Thanks
Ben
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 20:19   #2

Boat: 57ft Steel Expedition Vessel
Re: Manual Pump for Holding Tank Pump Out at Sea

We use one of these.

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_i...AbsolutePage=1

Not sure how you get one outside of Australia, but worth a look. low cost, great design, very anti clog for a manual pump.
Dame.n.Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 21:03   #3

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

We like the same Henderson Mark V that came with the Lavac. For obvious reasons, we haven't flushed into the Great Lakes, but we have "diverted" plain water and it works well...good for the biceps!
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 21:23   #4

Boat: No boat, looking again.

Don't know about legislation in your part of the world, but in Qld Australia discharge has to be mascerated. I was under the impression therefore, that the unmentioinable contents of the holding tank could not simply be pumped overboard but had to go through a chopper. Have not heard of any manual chopper. Also have not heard of authorities taking samples of holding-tank contents as they were being pumped and submitting them to micrometre analysis.

I guess a handpump would provide upper-body exercise but I am wondering how long it would take to pump out a tank.

The Lavac toilets use a Whale Henderson Mark V Type Manual Diaphragm Pump which is a bilge/water pump so you could probably use the same with no problems even though it is pumping out of the holding tank and not into it.
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 21:56   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Diaphragm pump...Whale makes some good ones.
I'd go big.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 22:41   #6

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

I used a Guzzler, might have been because it cost less than a Whale.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 00:17   #7

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

Mines a Henderson V and it certainly does give my arms a good workout. Ive positioned it so I can change from left to right hand.
The Henerson can pump up to 75 lts a minute, provided of course you have the muscle. It strips down in seconds with no tools if you need to get to the diaphragm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010002.JPG
Views:	627
Size:	391.9 KB
ID:	24634   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010001.JPG
Views:	551
Size:	352.6 KB
ID:	24635  

Old 06-03-2011, 05:37   #8

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

We have the same plumbing set-up and I like it a lot. We use a Whale Gusher Urchin pump (43 liters / minute) and we have a 35 gallon waste tank. The pump -- admittedly on the cheap end of the scale -- does a fine job. We rarely get the tank completely full; we either sail offshore and empty it, or we take free pumpouts wherever they're offered.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:52   #9

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

This question has always lingered in the back of my mind: do we need to zip-tie the diaphragm pump's handle while inshore? With two strokes of the pump we could be discharging waste overboard to our heart's content. Not sure if USCG regulations cover this. I.e., our toilet is never pumping directly overboard, so we should be okay . . . but I'm not sure I'd like to argue the point with a boarding officer.

We have been inspected by the CG once, but it was offshore, halfway between Bimini and Florida, and in all the excitement I didn't ask. (We passed our inspection just fine, but they didn't look at the plumbing.)
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:05   #10

Boat: Allures 44

Quote:
This question has always lingered in the back of my mind: do we need to zip-tie the diaphragm pump's handle while inshore?
I guess you could ask the same question if you have this setup with an electric macerator pump. Does the thru-hull valve downstream of the macerator pump need to be tied off? Or is it sufficient that the toilet pumps into the holding tank (and not overboard)?
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:42   #11

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
We like the same Henderson Mark V that came with the Lavac. For obvious reasons, we haven't flushed into the Great Lakes, but we have "diverted" plain water and it works well...good for the biceps!
I have the same set up, and recommend the head and this pump highly. It is a very well engineered, reliable pump.

Mark
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:11   #12
Marine Service Provider

I'd go with a Whale or Henderson (which is made by Whale). The Guzzler IS a Whale...a model that's smaller and therefore costs a little less than a Gulper.

US laws are a bit different from those in OZ. Here you must be in open sea at least THREE miles from the nearest point on the whole US coastline...whereas you only have to be a mile offshore in OZ. That may account for why it's necessary to macerate waste there but not here.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:31   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressuredrop View Post
to appease the coastguard etc., and for simplicity (no y valves) my head set up is going to be as follows, water in to head pump thru vented loop to toilet...
If you put a vented loop in the head intake line between the thru-hull and pump, it'll prevent the pump from priming. It has to go between the pump and the bowl...which requires replacing the short piece of hose that connects 'em now. Check the installation instructions for any toilet installed below waterline to see an illustration of where it belongs. And btw, it needs to be at least 6-8" above waterline AT ANY ANGLE OF HEEL, not just when the boat is at rest...which would put it 2-3' above the toilet on most sailboats.

Or, you oughta consider teeing the head intake into your head sink drain line. There's a bit of discussion about the benefits of doing that in the "Head Smells Bad" thread.

Quote:
toilet goes to holding tank, holding tank vent eliminates the need for vented loop...
Tank vent has nothing to do with whether a vented loop is needed in the head discharge line. One is only needed in a line that goes to a below-waterline thru-hull...it's not needed in a line that only goes to the tank. However, a LOOP (high arch, not necessarily vented) MIGHT be advisable to prevent tank contents from running back toward the toilet when the boat is heeled. No VENTED loop is needed because that can't create a siphon. The right location of the vent fitting and inlet fitting on the tank can eliminate the need for any loop in the line.

Quote:
... holding tank will have an outlet for a deck fitting and one to go out the seacock, since realistically most will be going out the seacock (good excuse to go sailing every two weeks if only to pump it out between passages) i would rather not rely on gravity but have a manual pump to assist...what is the manual pump for this job?
Two discharge fittings in the tank instead of just one with a y-valve is an excellent idea. And because the entire tank woud have to be well above the waterline to drain via gravity (not an idea I've ever liked much), you will need a pump. I like the Whale.
Old 06-03-2011, 21:39   #14

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
I'd go with a Whale or Henderson (which is made by Whale). The Guzzler IS a Whale...a model that's smaller and therefore costs a little less than a Gulper.

US laws are a bit different from those in OZ. Here you must be in open sea at least THREE miles from the nearest point on the whole US coastline...whereas you only have to be a mile offshore in OZ. That may account for why it's necessary to macerate waste there but not here.
I meant the pump series made by Bosworth.

The Bosworth Co - Diaphragm Pumps, Y-Valves & Check Valves
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:53   #15
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
I meant the pump series made by Bosworth.

The Bosworth Co - Diaphragm Pumps, Y-Valves & Check Valves
Oops...when companies use the same model names it can be confusing.

Bosworth makes quality equipment. The main problem with this model is, its max hose barb is 1.25" ....the standard size tank discharge hose is 1.5", which would require adding a reducing adapter.

Tags
holding tank