Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2014, 10:50   #1

Simple overnighter boat

Hi all,

I'm interested in some suggestions for a simple overnighter boat. Something that me, my wife, and my child would spend 1-2 nights on max. It would almost exclusively be on a lake,

I've been looking at different manufacturers. I'm interested in something along the lines of the Bayliner 642 Overnighter. Obviously it doesn't have to be that brand. My requirements:

- Sleeps a couple and a child
- Has an enclosed, separate toilet
- Some sort of small galley with at least a small fridge, and a microwave or hotplate.
- Some sort of A/C would be amazing because I'm in Louisiana

Basically a pretty decent overnighter. It doesn't have to be anything super cheap, but I don't need a 50' Hatt just to stay on our little lake

Thank you for any thoughts.
radioguy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 13:12   #2

radioguy
I suggest you collect all the boat brochures you can on boats in the 20-30' range. Also visit as many dealers as possible to check out different layouts which may meet the needs of you AND YOUR SPOUSE!. If you hold to your requirements for an enclosed head and a/c, you will be beyond the 21' hull length. Most 21 designs have a porta-potti in the V-berth area. Some 24-25's have very small enclosed head compartments.
Also, an active child or teen, soon runs out of room on a small boat, so you will need an outboard or outdrive equipped hull that you can bring to the shore. A/C units require lots of power, usually from a generator. If your main activity is on a lake a single engine would be adequate and provide room to mount a generator also. Hanging out all day in the sunshine will be more comfortable with adequate canvas bimini and cockpit covers.
On most new hull designs, the only way to get from the helm station to the bow is thru the cabin. While this allows designers to increase the interior space, I prefer walk around gunwales.
You also need to determine if you are going to trailer the boat or leave it in a marina - both have pluses and minuses. An adequate trailer and tow vehicle vs. additional maintenance in the water.
Good time to be hunting, after Labor day and the end of the boating season as well as being in a buyer's market - good luck
GPSocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 19:02   #3

Re: Simple overnighter boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSocal View Post
radioguy
I suggest you collect all the boat brochures you can on boats in the 20-30' range. Also visit as many dealers as possible to check out different layouts which may meet the needs of you AND YOUR SPOUSE!. If you hold to your requirements for an enclosed head and a/c, you will be beyond the 21' hull length. Most 21 designs have a porta-potti in the V-berth area. Some 24-25's have very small enclosed head compartments.
Also, an active child or teen, soon runs out of room on a small boat, so you will need an outboard or outdrive equipped hull that you can bring to the shore. A/C units require lots of power, usually from a generator. If your main activity is on a lake a single engine would be adequate and provide room to mount a generator also. Hanging out all day in the sunshine will be more comfortable with adequate canvas bimini and cockpit covers.
On most new hull designs, the only way to get from the helm station to the bow is thru the cabin. While this allows designers to increase the interior space, I prefer walk around gunwales.
You also need to determine if you are going to trailer the boat or leave it in a marina - both have pluses and minuses. An adequate trailer and tow vehicle vs. additional maintenance in the water.
Good time to be hunting, after Labor day and the end of the boating season as well as being in a buyer's market - good luck
How much do you want to spend

What area do you do your boating

Are you looking at new or used
daysgoneby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 19:19   #4

How old is the child?

We have a 19' boat. Like most micro-cruisers, it has the head up in the V of the bow and is not enclosed. There's no fixed sink or range; we have a plastic washbasin and a portable butane stove that we usually use outside. Sort of like camping, but it's the best use of the small space. It works out well for two adults, for two or three nights... longer if you hit a marina for showers and resupply every few days.

You may not find a decently enclosed head in anything under 23 ft. I've seen a fixed 'galley' in small boats (eg a West Wight Potter 19) but I think it's a waste of space in such a small interior.

if you're willing to compromise a bit, you could get away with something 19' to 23' (and still have alot of fun), but otherwise you're looking at 22 or 23 ft min, and besides the expense they're more of a challenge to tow & launch.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:02   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, radioguy.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote