Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2010, 18:36   #1

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Reducing Glare

I'm contemplating the painting scheme for my future boat, thinking a dark hull (dark green or blue) with white superstructure except for orange on the pilothouse roof. However, I'm concerned about glare. I have relatively light-sensitive eyes but despise sunglasses. I'm thinking of painting the forward-cabin roof a less-reflective color than white, yet I don't want a color that would significantly affect solar heat absorption. Does anyone have a recommendation for the forward-cabin roof color? Thanks.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 12:31   #2

I've seen trucks where they have a tinted screen they can drop down in front of the driver. What about something along those lines?
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 12:45   #3

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
My neighbour painted his roof gloss white in expensive two pack. big mistake.
If heat intake is a problem add a sail cloth cover over the coach roof, in a more moderate colour. the air gap will prevent excessive heat in the cabin.
Old 16-09-2010, 13:23   #4

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Tan or desert sand might work well, perhaps RAL1101 or RAL1102, maybe even RAL1105, particularly if in a matt finish.

https://nextdayoqaos.materialise.com...p/RalChart.htm
Old 16-09-2010, 13:42   #5

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
I like Minty's suggestion too, of using tinted windows that would hinged up at night but could be dropped and dogged down during the day. Would probably be less costly in the long run and not need touching up from time to time.
Old 16-09-2010, 15:39   #6

Boat: a sailing boat
Light cream color works well.

You can cut some of the glare by covering the bottom portion of your fore windows with a blind.

You can also make a canvas shade for the whole area over the cabin - but this only works in light weather.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 15:53   #7

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
There are flattening agents for paints that eliminate the gloss, thus the amount of reflected light. You could also roll on white gelcoat thickened with cabosil. That will provide a non-skid surface as well as stop reflective light. I wouldn't worry about solar heat absorption if you are painting the hull a dark color - that will heat up the boat well before an off-white cabin top will.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 16:16   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I wouldn't worry about solar heat absorption if you are painting the hull a dark color - that will heat up the boat well before an off-white cabin top will.
The boat is insulated. I'm worried that the surface could become uncomfortable to the touch.

I'm appreciating the feedback.
Old 27-09-2010, 13:58   #9

Light reflected off of the water will still be substantial, regardless of what color you paint the deck. Sunglasses is really the best measure unless you go with some kind of tinted screen. However a tinted screen won't help you on the deck, dock, etc.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 14:29   #10

I agree with you Shrew, but my current thinking is to have the forward cabin's roof painted medium gray (and the pilot house roof international orange; the superstructure, decks, and saloon roof eggshell white; and the hull jade mist green.) I have until the end of the year to decide.

Old 27-09-2010, 15:34   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
A light khaki color or whats sometimes called buff. It's also very traditional and does not look out of place for a boat.

There is also light yellow. Not a canary yellow but yellow mixed with white. It's sort of a muted yellow.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 16:18   #12
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
All good suggestions, I can only add:

The only color that minimizes heat absorption is white; even off white and other very light colors really heat up much more than white. I have found matt white to be a suitable compromise for me - YMMV.

As you don't have to decide right away, experiment a bit, paint a couple of panels some different colors and leave them outside for a few hours and check the surface temperature and reflection etc. For the trial you don't need t buy all the colors, just add enough white to whatever paints you have around to get an approximate shade.

If necessary, can you insulate the forward cabin roof.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 14:34   #13

The interior is totally insulated. I've pretty much decided on San Mateo Wheat, a very light/pale yellow, for the forward-cabin deck.
Old 04-10-2010, 17:59   #14
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
To reduce glare, don't speed thru anchorages
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:16   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
The boat is insulated. I'm worried that the surface could become uncomfortable to the touch.

I'm appreciating the feedback.

Interior is definitely insulated. This is the forward cabin. Hmmm... Looks like a toilet seat will be used for accessing the chain locker.