Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2016, 19:41   #31

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: New Ocean Warrior is a Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
What on earth is beautiful about this vessel? Looks more in the fugly camp to me.

This does not rule out it being well suited to whatever purpose the designer was addressing, but aesthetically it ain't to my taste.

I hope that it has a purpose beyond launching stink bombs...

Jim
ok, you and Ping may have a point. Perhaps 'beauty' is the wrong adjective I suppose I was using 'beauty' in the context of its purpose, the same as you may refer to a U.S aircraft carrier as beautiful.

I bet they will keep it well away from the northern hemisphere oil rigs so that Putin doesn't confiscate it
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 19:50   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
OP > If you start posting anti sea shepherd posts I'll assume your trolling and ask the moderators to respond

Rorzech >
I'd say over channel 16 as they're listing. I love the Sea Shepard

Rustic,

What's sauce for the goose, is sauce for the gander.
I know you're an even handed chap, so no doubt you are also assuming that this is trolling and have reported it to the moderators.
The request I made was simply to put a stop to the barrage of anti sea shepherd posts that occurred almost immediately after I made a post quite some time ago. The mods were very quick to shut the thread entirely. So I wanted to avoid that situation.

So my intent is that those likeminded to me that support sea shepherd and want to discuss their boats and even activities should be able to do so without others deliberately setting out to close the thread. Now, I don't know if the mod's will support my request or not, but if posters come on board with no other intent but to shut the thread down, or to get a rise, then under the rules if the forum, that's clearly trolling.

Peace now
Old 02-07-2016, 20:42   #33

Boat: 2016 Bayliner Element

I guess free speech is okay as long as it supports your position. It's a nice boat, but what is the design for. it's not that I'm against the aim of Sea Sheppard I could never condone their tactics. They have a long criminal history, they had to pay 2.5 million to the whalers. My whole career has been about maritime safety. I'm against anybody that supports sink boats, bombing boats or bullying people. Sea Sheppard should sue illegal operations in court.
Go complain to the moderator
Chas.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 22:44   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas.7 View Post
I guess free speech is okay as long as it supports your position. It's a nice boat, but what is the design for. it's not that I'm against the aim of Sea Sheppard I could never condone their tactics. They have a long criminal history, they had to pay 2.5 million to the whalers. My whole career has been about maritime safety. I'm against anybody that supports sink boats, bombing boats or bullying people. Sea Sheppard should sue illegal operations in court.
Go complain to the moderator
Firstly, free speech is not 'free' when it attacks, offends or discriminates. That sort of 'free speech' is not permitted on CF - see the rules. I have no problem with your post, though it's a tad immature and with your closing comment 'go complain to the moderators' hints at not really wanting to put forward a position but more desiring a fight one I'm not interested in this thread.

Now as to your claims

You claim Sea Shepherd has a long criminal history do they? I'm surprised you feel so compassionate about SS and yet you don't mention anything of the poachers. Which leads me to wonder, why do you support poaching?

You claim your against sinking and bombing boats? And what boats have SS sunk or bombed?

Yes, they agreed to pay $2.5m for contempt of court, a U.S court but in the same token the Japanese have been found by our highest court to be illegally whaling in our waters, and yet they continue. so much for your 'they should sue in the courts', and this was a nation using the courts.

And do prey tell, how does one sue illegal, stateless, Patagonian poachers? You know, like the ones they chased half way around the world before they sunk their own vessel, and then were convicted of said poaching and are now doing a prison sentence?
Old 02-07-2016, 23:21   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Today Sea Shepherd has unveiled their latest creation to combat poaching and she's a beauty.

When I have details of her engines I'll post it.

Don't turn this into an anti Sea Shepherd thread. If you start posting anti sea shepherd posts I'll assume your trolling and ask the moderators to respond.
Sorry Rustic this is total BS......

If you want to keep "politics" out of the thread and just discuss the boat, then fine, people could and should respect that. However if you want it also to be a SS love fest then you should take the the anti.
Old 02-07-2016, 23:33   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Sorry Rustic this is total BS......

If you want to keep "politics" out of the thread and just discuss the boat, then fine, people could and should respect that. However if you want it also to be a SS love fest then you should take the the anti.
Hoppy, I didn't mean my OP to be interpreted so black and white. BUT I did mean to be very clear (which seems I'm not being) that if posters only purpose in commenting in this thread is to 'attack' SS, too antagonise SS supporters, then don't. That's called trolling. If that's your only purpose then go start your own thread.

I really don't mind if members desire to express their opposition to SS, but do so respectfully. But mark my words, watch how quickly this thread will turn into a hate thread and it gets closed.

SS, is a very active public and news related organisation about the seas we all love. Why can't we have a sensible thread talking about this organisation and what they do without trolls ? Why is that BS?
Old 03-07-2016, 00:29   #37

Quote:
Don't turn this into an anti Sea Shepherd thread. If you start posting anti sea shepherd posts I'll assume your trolling and ask the moderators to respond.
That to me seems to be a very black and white leaving no room for criticism of SS unless it's from a supporters point of view.
Old 03-07-2016, 00:38   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
That to me seems to be a very black and white leaving no room for criticism of SS unless it's from a supporters point of view.
Ok Hoppy, I've already conceded to your point and explained my intent.. And admitted I didn't word it very well. What else do you want?
Old 03-07-2016, 06:27   #39

Dear Charm,
Free speech is about protecting speech you don't like. As for their history, go to their web site, Click on "who we are", there you will find a history of their criminal actions.
Happy Fourth of July
Old 03-07-2016, 07:18   #40

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58

Quote:
Hoppy, I didn't mean my OP to be interpreted so black and white. BUT I did mean to be very clear (which seems I'm not being) that if posters only purpose in commenting in this thread is to 'attack' SS, too antagonise SS supporters, then don't. That's called trolling. If that's your only purpose then go start your own thread.

I really don't mind if members desire to express their opposition to SS, but do so respectfully. But mark my words, watch how quickly this thread will turn into a hate thread and it gets closed.

SS, is a very active public and news related organisation about the seas we all love. Why can't we have a sensible thread talking about this organisation and what they do without trolls ? Why is that BS?
maybe because the sanctimonious tools of SS seem to think that colregs and international law doesn't apply to them. as far as I'm concerned they're pirates and shuld be treated as such. good on damen for getting another build, they're a top notch yard and build some of the best commercial vessel in the world, but mark my words that vessel will look like a disaster in a year once the SS "heroes" realize what it costs to properly maintain a modern, high tech, high performance vessel of this size. hell the fuel costs alone will likely preclude this thing from spending much time at high speeds.
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:59   #41

Boat: 52' Crealock Farrington staysail schooner

I Always appreciate posts on Sea Shepherd and their good works.
excited about their new boat and the attention to Ocean destruction and whatever they do to alleviate it. Thank you Rustic Charm Sorry for the trolls and goons who will no doubt slam your post. Fair winds
barnaclejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 14:23   #42

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

RC,

Boy the fox is in the chicken house now!

Look, your argument that SS illegal acts are justified because the whalers' acts are also illegal is, imho, extremely weak, sort of like a thief whose excuse is that the wealthy people he stole from must have committed a crime to get it, and therefore his stealing is okay. I don't know about you, but to me, they are two different crimes, with different jurisdictions, and besides, two wrongs never made a right!

Just my 2 cents, you all go on talking about the boat.

Ann
Old 03-07-2016, 14:46   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenhawaiian View Post
maybe because the sanctimonious tools of SS seem to think that colregs and international law doesn't apply to them. as far as I'm concerned they're pirates and shuld be treated as such. good on damen for getting another build, they're a top notch yard and build some of the best commercial vessel in the world, but mark my words that vessel will look like a disaster in a year once the SS "heroes" realize what it costs to properly maintain a modern, high tech, high performance vessel of this size. hell the fuel costs alone will likely preclude this thing from spending much time at high speeds.
you don't think they are pretty experienced in running a number of ships and already know the costs

Seriously, they have a fleet.
Old 03-07-2016, 14:53   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
RC,

Boy the fox is in the chicken house now!

Look, your argument that SS illegal acts are justified because the whalers' acts are also illegal is, imho, extremely weak, sort of like a thief whose excuse is that the wealthy people he stole from must have committed a crime to get it, and therefore his stealing is okay. I don't know about you, but to me, they are two different crimes, with different jurisdictions, and besides, two wrongs never made a right!

Just my 2 cents, you all go on talking about the boat.

Ann
On the contrary, I'm not claiming they are acting illegally at all. I'm maintaining that citizens can and should act to protect the laws when they can. Your 'thief' analogy is not relevant in the slightest. Crime does not justify crime.

Two wrongs don't make a right? Hmmmm, I'm sure a lot of Japanese feel the same following world war 2.
Old 03-07-2016, 15:31   #45

An interesting article about whales. Audubon November- December 2009 states some 70,000 whales die and can sink to the ocean floor. The main causes were starvation, injury, and disease