Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2016, 01:08   #61

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: New Ocean Warrior is a Beauty

Oh for Petes sake, it's more a torch. It's not the little lasers that can blind people's eyes are are illegal to shine at airplanes. It's one of these

ND5 Green Laser for search and rescue and EMT | Laser Genetics

They are annoying as all hell.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:38   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post

Another fact that you need to accept is that the Japanese, Norwegian and Icelandic whalers are not poachers. They have, and have always had, permission from the International Whaling Commission to hunt a predetermined number of whales per yr for scientific research.
They have managed to obtain permission for their hunts through the tit for tat of diplomatic negotiations and returned favours. I don't think anyone for a second believes it's truly scientific research, or indeed research of any kind; it is simply legitimized poaching, much like countries who knowingly over fish stocks but are given such quotas under international treaties.

I laud the goals of such groups but I believe some of their leaders are more interested in furthering their own image than the welfare of the animals they are trying to protect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post

As far as the ship goes, I'm no expert, but it looks pretty fugly to me.
That is the way I would describe too, and I consider myself an expert in such aesthetic matters.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:46   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
How good does a whale taste anyway?
Not that good. Sort of a cross between dugong and dolphin meat.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:59   #64

I don't get calling SS pirates. Any definition I ever heard of piracy includes theft along with violenece. Since when did SS ever steal fish or whales from anybody? About as precise a statement as saying the new boat doesnt have any reserve bouyancy.

Just because it doesnt have overhang doesn't mean it doesn't have reserve bouyancy. The way to add reserve bouyancy to a plumb bow is to add height. Let's see, looks like this boat has plenty of height in the bow to me.

One thing I love about boats in general is that there is no getting away from the "form folllows function" rule of design. I like the looks of this boat. Looks like it is buillt for a purpose. To go fast is tough sea conditions.

Funny also the money to build it came from a donation from the Dutch National Post Code Lottery. Maybe "privateer" is a more apt description.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	162
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	127340  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:30   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
I don't get calling SS pirates. Any definition I ever heard of piracy includes theft along with violenece.
You've obviously never looked at UNCLOS or the IMO:

Piracy and Armed Robbery against ships

Defining Piracy
Article 101 of the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) determines that Piracy consists of any of the following acts:

(a) any illegal acts of violence or detention, or any act of depredation, committed for private ends by the crew or the passengers of a private ship or a private aircraft, and directed:
(i) on the high seas, against another ship or aircraft, or against persons or property on board such ship or aircraft;
(ii) against a ship, aircraft, persons or property in a place outside the jurisdiction of any State;
(b) any act of voluntary participation in the operation of a ship or of an aircraft with knowledge of facts making it a pirate ship or aircraft;
(c) any act of inciting or of intentionally facilitating an act described in subparagraph (a) or (b).
Defining Armed Robbery against ships
Resolution A.1025(26) (Annex, paragraph 2.2) on IMO's Code of Practice for the Investigation of the Crimes of Piracy and Armed Robbery Against Ships, determines that armed robbery against ships consists of any of the following acts:

(a) any illegal act of violence or detention or any act of depredation, or threat thereof, other than an act of piracy, committed for private ends and directed against a ship or against persons or property on board such a ship, within a State's internal waters, archipelagic waters and territorial sea;
(b) any act of inciting or of intentionally facilitating an act described above."
Old 04-07-2016, 04:36   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Please note Para 101(c). If you are aware of their intended actions and donate to SS, you fit this definition.

Here's your sign:

Old 04-07-2016, 04:44   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Not that good. Sort of a cross between dugong and dolphin meat.
Is that like chicken but red
Old 04-07-2016, 04:48   #68

Quote:
You've obviously never looked at UNCLOS or the IMO:

Piracy and Armed Robbery against ships

Defining Piracy
Article 101 of the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) determines that Piracy consists of any of the following acts:

(a) any illegal acts of violence or detention, or any act of depredation, committed for private ends by the crew or the passengers of a private ship or a private aircraft, and directed:
(i) on the high seas, against another ship or aircraft, or against persons or property on board such ship or aircraft;
(ii) against a ship, aircraft, persons or property in a place outside the jurisdiction of any State;
(b) any act of voluntary participation in the operation of a ship or of an aircraft with knowledge of facts making it a pirate ship or aircraft;
(c) any act of inciting or of intentionally facilitating an act described in subparagraph (a) or (b).
Defining Armed Robbery against ships
Resolution A.1025(26) (Annex, paragraph 2.2) on IMO's Code of Practice for the Investigation of the Crimes of Piracy and Armed Robbery Against Ships, determines that armed robbery against ships consists of any of the following acts:

(a) any illegal act of violence or detention or any act of depredation, or threat thereof, other than an act of piracy, committed for private ends and directed against a ship or against persons or property on board such a ship, within a State's internal waters, archipelagic waters and territorial sea;
(b) any act of inciting or of intentionally facilitating an act described above."
"Committed for private ends" well there you have. Clearly they don't fit your definition.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:52   #69

I dunno Stu, guess it depends on which side of the "private ends" side of the coin you favor. Personally I don't consider political acts intended to benefit global society as a whole to be in the same boat as the intention to steal for personal pecuniary gain.

Regardless, they are a non-for-profit charity funded in part by the Dutch government so hardly pirates by any definition.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:24   #70

"(ii) against a ship, aircraft, persons or property in a place outside the jurisdiction of any State;"

This bit is something that gets my goat when it comes to the misuse of the term piracy the same way the reference to the terrorist attack in the Philipinnes which someone here wrongly called a pirate attack. Acts of piracy by definition occur on the high seas.

A marina in the Philippines is not the high seas any moreso than The Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary or a place like the Sea of Cortez or for that matter any other marine sanctuary or protected fishing ground where SS attempts to prevent or disrupt criminal activity.

The misuse of terms like "piracy" or "pirate" repudiates the responsibility of the relavent governing body to police and efforce it's own laws, thereby de-emphasizing the significance of the crime. Piracy occurs in places where there is no rule of law. Illegal fishing and whaling by definition occur in places where there is law.

It's unfortunate that some governments lack the will or resources to do what should be done but fortunately there are non-for-profit organizations like SS willing to step in and fill the gap in enforcement.

I get it that some don't like how SS operates. Fair enough but don't call them pirates, they are not robbing and killing people on the high seas. When you call them pirates you do a direct disservice to the victims of real piracy.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:27   #71

Cruisers Forum Supporter

https://piracy-law.com/2013/03/04/th...herds-pirates/

The United States Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit recently discussed the “private ends” requirement of the crime of piracy under international law. In Cetacean v. Sea Shepherds, Judge Kozinski reversed the lower court and enjoined the Sea Shepherds, an international non-profit, marine wildlife conservation organization, from coming within 500 meters of any Japanese whaling vessels. Judge Kozinski held that Sea Shepherds satisfied the “private ends” requirement of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), and that they could accordingly be considered pirates under international law, regardless of their political and non-pecuniary motivation.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:44   #72
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I knew Watson in his early days in Vancouver... This analysis of what makes him tick...is pretty accurate.
https://www.activistfacts.com/organi...ation-society/
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:38   #73

Quote:

The United States Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit recently discussed the “private ends” requirement of the crime of piracy under international law. In Cetacean v. Sea Shepherds, Judge Kozinski reversed the lower court and enjoined the Sea Shepherds, an international non-profit, marine wildlife conservation organization, from coming within 500 meters of any Japanese whaling vessels. Judge Kozinski held that Sea Shepherds satisfied the “private ends” requirement of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), and that they could accordingly be considered pirates under international law, regardless of their political and non-pecuniary motivation.
I'm sorry Stu but just because one of your American quack courts makes a finding like this gives no more credibility than many other quack courts : and has absolutely no standing on Australia's Sea Shepherd. In fact, the finding only had authority over your American Sea Shepherd members anyway.

For that matter read the rest of the article.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:50   #74

I have not read all the pages on this tread, but I will add my 2 cents.

Any time there is no concern for the life of beings in the seas or anywhere else for that matter, when someone attempts to stop those who do not care, I am right behind them.

The preservation of our planet and it's life must be paramount.
1000 islands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:58   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I knew Watson in his early days in Vancouver... This analysis of what makes him tick...is pretty accurate.
https://www.activistfacts.com/organi...ation-society/
Interesting article. I didn't see an author so I did some research about the website which is run by "The Center For Organizational Research And Eductation" here's what I found-

"The Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF) (formerly called the "Guest Choice Network (GCN)") is a front group run by Rick Berman's PR firm Berman & Co. for the restaurant, alcohol, tobacco and other industries. It changed its name to the Center for Organizational Research and Education in early 2014.[1] It runs media campaigns that oppose the efforts of scientists, doctors, health advocates, animal advocates, environmentalists and groups like Mothers Against Drunk Driving, calling them "the Nanny Culture -- the growing fraternity of food cops, health care enforcers, anti-meat activists, and meddling bureaucrats who 'know what's best for you.'"

Center for Consumer Freedom - SourceWatch

No denying that a PR firm that fronts for the tobacco industry is a credible source(insert sarcasm here) and therefor must know what is best for our environment!