Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2012, 15:43   #1

Landing Craft Modified

I really, really do hesitate in posting this. I have picked brains all over the internet about taking my motorcycle on the Great Loop. I have looked for almost a year for a boat that could hold cargo 4' high, 2 1/2' wide and 8' long and on a beer budget.....no luck! Found some navy launches and patrol boats but I fear them as gas hogs, so I'm really looking for efficiency.

I found some plywood landing craft boats and they appear to be a simple build. I think I could build one of these boxes just a quick as modifing an older boat.

One that I found is only 21', and I'm thinking of 28/30' with a small aft cabin, big enough for two to survive the Loop. Beam would be about 6'.

These are flat bottom boats and adding a small box keel I would think help for the chop. I'd like to cruise at least at 6/8 knots and hit 10/12 maybe a little more. I guess at this speed I'd be keeping up with most cruisers.

I'd like to hit that gal an hour mark as well, as some of Bolgers flat sharpies at 32' claim to make. I'd also like a small OB, 25 hp I think might fit the bill.

The cabin would be a tug style, insulated with 6'2" headroom in the center. A double bed, head (airhead or compost of some kind) standing shower, dinette for at least 2, small galley with fridge, all in all, about 14' long X 6'.

I need a 500 mile range, so I guess that means about 70 gal with a reserve. 50 gal fresh water. Need a gen set too. solar would be nice for a small battery bank to run gizzmos, radio, gps, computer. Galley would be a propane stove, microwave and small apartment fridge.

I'd like to have the tucks and finish of the Sea Ray 50'er, but will settle for a work boat finish.

Need shoal draft, high freeboard and hopefully self righting when sealed up.

So, what should I look for, consider and how would you proceed?

Has anyone made the loop in such a craft?

Thank you!!!!
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 15:58   #2

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: LANDING CRAFT MODIFIED

Check out small front drop door barges, we have one that scoots around our harbour/islands it has a small cab/wheelhouse with just enough room for a small car.
It is a small fibreglass houseboat hull, there was another flat bottom barge built by DeHavilland very similar quite quick....
Old 13-02-2012, 16:29   #3

Sounds like an awesome idea to me. You'll be on your own figuring out problems that most other people don't need to deal with, but once you plow through the issues you'll be the guy folks are blogging about.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 16:35   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Here you go: Redirect Notice
Old 14-02-2012, 06:25   #5

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Stanley and Hike make aluminum boats with "one car" RORO attributes. Some have enough room to sleep in. If you decide to self-build, I would glean ideas from their range of "cottage lake ferries".
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 06:42   #6

how about using an oyster punt as a base
PRO ALI Marine Punts
Old 14-02-2012, 06:59   #7

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

I think you are kidding yourself with the 25 hp, 70 gal, 500 mile range and a boat with the room and capabilities you are talking. The closest thing I can suggest is an old sailboat hull you don't mind taking a chainsaw to. That will give you the economical hull. Cut the mast down to the length of the boom so you can still hoist the cycle out of a modified cockpit/garage. Build a small pilothouse forward and modify the main salon to fit you sleeping/cooking needs.

Sailboat hulls can be had for cheap (which you need because unless you find a one in a million that would want it when you are done...it's a throwaway). Mods could be done for a few thousand or less and it's the only hull form that would get anywhere near 500 miles on 70 gallons (even that's improbable)

My suggestion...take the money difference and get a small trip and do the loop without the cycle....then do the loop as a road trip with the cycle (or vice versa)...probably come out to less money and more enjoyment...many places on the loop you don't need the cycle for anyway!!!
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 07:09   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Take a look here.

I grew up with garveys, Dad's was 32' but no cabin, a work boat.

Others, a bit larger but with a large forward cabin, were used to run duck hunting parties.

Third Friday Speaker Series: Chris Cunningham « Bearings: The Blog of The Center for Wooden Boats
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 07:21   #9

I would be looking at aluminium if it was me.....

A few (good) ideas here.... aluminium landing craft - Google Search
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 07:25   #10

any of those garvey or aluminum landing craft get over 7 miles to the gallon and go fast enough he won't die of old age before he completes the loop?
Old 14-02-2012, 07:32   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

You certainly won't get "self-righting" from a flat bottom (essentially a barge).

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 07:36   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
You certainly won't get "self-righting" from a flat bottom (essentially a barge).
You're correct about that...but for a loop trip not sure that's important compared to the other 99 requirements...like economy, shoal draft, bridge clearance, handling, etc..etc
Old 14-02-2012, 07:45   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
any of those garvey or aluminum landing craft get over 7 miles to the gallon and go fast enough he won't die of old age before he completes the loop?
I can't vouch for the 7 miles per gallon, but speed is not an issue....

Munson Aluminum Boats - Custom welded aluminum boats, landing craft, workboats, patrol boats, fire boats, passenger boats, dive boats, research boats, fishing boats, boom boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

Having been the master on the below vessel for a couple of years, knowing your stability and keeping it upright is always at the forefront of the thought process.....

IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 07:49   #14
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
I really, really do hesitate in posting this.

But the upside is that a bit more chance than the last fella who asked for help doing something similar - but he also wanted to go Transat. and be sail powered .....I think that was last week - that wasn't you was it? .

But accepting that whatever you create (I think "build" is a bit too staid a term for this project ) won't be an all weather vessel does open up options. a bit. I doubt that 25hp for the size and weight of vessel will suffice for 12 knots.

......IMO the big limiter is a Beer Budget - that will probably take some "out of the box" thinking.....

...my initial thoughts were to piggy back (aka copy ) an existing commercial design, accepting that your version won't be as good in performance (and likely also looks ).

But I had a blinding flash of inspiration .....why not get jiggy with an angle grinder and a welder on whatever cheap boat that you can find that will do the job - whether sail or power.....something with an old style aft cabin (built on top of the cockpit - not under) or a very large cockpit.

What I'm thinking is to cut off the top of the Aft Cabin - then weld up a serious Eff Off sized crane on the stern and also add some superstructure / hull! supports to structurally compensate for loss of Aft Cabin - could be fabricated out of steamed oak, carefully moulded fibreglass or......a bolted on rough and ready roll cage style approach in good fashioned steel tube . The bigger the boat the bigger the motorcycle (or less big the bow anchor needs to be!).

Likely () won't be pretty - and will pretty destroy the resale value - but probably find that a s/h 1 off DIY built landing craft that meets your needs has a very limited market. and by then you've already got one .

Please let this be a Honda Goldwing with a Sidecar. and a trailor.......with a Harley on it - or a large Gorrilla .

Whatever the outcome .....I am sure I'm not the only one who would like to see pics of the finished(?!) vessel.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 07:55   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

But the upside is that a bit more chance than the last fella who asked for help doing something similar - but he also wanted to go Transat. and be sail powered .....I think that was last week - that wasn't you was it? .

But accepting that whatever you create (I think "build" is a bit too staid a term for this project ) won't be an all weather vessel does open up options. a bit. I doubt that 25hp for the size and weight of vessel will suffice for 12 knots.

......IMO the big limiter is a Beer Budget - that will probably take some "out of the box" thinking.....

...my initial thoughts were to piggy back (aka copy ) an existing commercial design, accepting that your version won't be as good in performance (and likely also looks ).

But I had a blinding flash of inspiration .....why not get jiggy with an angle grinder and a welder on whatever cheap boat that you can find that will do the job - whether sail or power.....something with an old style aft cabin (built on top of the cockpit - not under) or a very large cockpit.

What I'm thinking is to cut off the top of the Aft Cabin - then weld up a serious Eff Off sized crane on the stern and also add some superstructure / hull! supports to structurally compensate for loss of Aft Cabin - could be fabricated out of steamed oak, carefully moulded fibreglass or......a bolted on rough and ready roll cage style approach in good fashioned steel tube . The bigger the boat the bigger the motorcycle (or less big the bow anchor needs to be!).

Likely () won't be pretty - and will pretty destroy the resale value - but probably find that a s/h 1 off DIY built landing craft that meets your needs has a very limited market. and by then you've already got one .

Please let this be a Honda Goldwing with a Sidecar. and a trailor.......with a Harley on it - or a large Gorrilla .

Whatever the outcome .....I am sure I'm not the only one who would like to see pics of the finished(?!) vessel.

I'm hoping the finished pic will make the hall of fame wall like some of the hillbilly houseboat pics have...