Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2017, 07:52   #1

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230
Key West 219FS vs Key West 239

1st question - are boat of these boats suitable for offshore use? or is the 239FS much better for offshore use than the 219FS?

2nd question - Should I be looking at even larger boats to fish offshore or would say, a Key West 219FS be ok?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:11   #2

Re: Key West 219FS vs Key West 239

There are probably 1000 boats that come up in my searches. I am very close to picking one but really need to know what size would work. I really do not want to rely on the salesman or else I will end up in the wrong boat.

I have approx. 50K budget. As you all know I can buy a new smaller boat like a Key West 219FS, or a larger used boat or even bigger boats as they get older.

Right now I am leaning toward a single engine Center Console but am not against the twin engine set-up either.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:25   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Just a couple thoughts (perhaps uninformed since it has been decades since I was running a motor vessel) ... First, the difference in a couple feet is not going to make much difference in the vast oceans. The rule of thumb is that a breaking wave over 1/3 the length-over-all of a boat will almost definitely capsize the boat -- rolling swells like you get on the ocean in non-storm conditions do nothing to the stability of the boat. Using that formula, a 7 foot breaking wave means you are swimming, so stay out of the surf.

Second point is engines. When I was goofing around in my parents' boats down there, we never went into the ocean on any vessel without a second running motor and always kept our fuel separated to avoid contaminating both engines from the same tank. By the way, they were all in the 18 - 25 foot range and I'm still alive. Obviously, it's your life, but I would not be at the mercy of an engine starting no matter how well maintained. The first reply back from my motoring buddies is that I only have one engine on my sailboat, but that is the backup - my sails are my primary motivation.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 13:56   #4

Either would be great rigs for calm days. Ok in moderate chop. I was at Jupiter inlet last weekend watching 13ft Boston whalers go offshore.

I would try to stick with 23 and up with twin engines. Redundancy is key.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:25   #5

I am now leaning toward a used late model Key West 239FS or even a 244CC. I determined the KW 219FS was on the small side after looking at it again.

Thanks for your input.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:13   #6

I am being told that a Key West CC boat has flotation, just like those small Boston Whaler boats you saw that make them difficult to sink.

A boat with added flotation is a huge improvement vs boats that will sink.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:18   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Key West 219FS vs Key West 239

I think almost all CC boats will float even if full of holes, it may even be a requirement now.
Myself I was always OK with one good four stroke, a VHF, EPIRB and a Sea Tow membership, I never had to be towed. Modern four stroke outboards are just as reliable as modern automobiles, as long as they are maintained.
Then of course define offshore, moe than 100 miles is different than 25
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:32   #8

I doubt I will ever go 100 miles off shore. That just seems too too far. I would think I might go 40 - 45 miles off shore. I am in northern Florida where the gulf stream is about that far off shore.

Now if I were 'smart' I would tow the boat further south so the gulf stream is closer. I think off Fort Pierce the Gulf Stream is only 10 - 15 miles off shore. That is closer than off the coast of Daytona.

Agree with the thoughts of sea tow, VHF, and personal satellite positioning device. The rule would be 'stay with the boat' no matter what, hold onto the outboard lower unit. I did see a few months ago four men rescued as they were sitting on the bottom of the haul. In the video the waves seemed very mild. That I did not understand.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:44   #9

I think the advice of dual engines or at least a large kicker motor is good. With seas building and no power, the ability to keep the boat right side up is a must have! If you are even 10 miles into the stream it can get rough. 5 miles off Biscayne the stream is very strong.
Those boats look pretty good, Hard to say as I have no actual knowledge of them. This is mostly a sailors forum so there may be better forums to ask about the boats.
Another consideration is some CC boats have a cuddy or extended console to put a toilet into. That's a nice thing especially if you will take any women out.
With Florida's sudden drenching rains at times, a cuddy can be a good place to stay dry for that drenching hour.
I had a 26 CC with a cuddy for a while in FL that had a berth under there. There was little headroom, but still a dry place to sleep. You could also head into the keys or wherever and "camp" aboard which can be fun.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:49   #10

Both the Key West 219FS and 239FS have a port-a-potti option built into center console.

Agree with a kicker engine as trolling is a major way to fish.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:13   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

A kicker is fine, although I disagree with the large part. Only fishing boat I ever had with twin engines was actually my Fathers and this 30 or so years ago. It was a 23' Roballo with twin 70 Evinrudes,did fine with both engines, but with one, even with the other trimmed out of the water, it would not plane, so your stuck to a little over hull speed, which a 9.9 will do for that.
I'd be surprised if many twin engine boats will plane on a single engine, due to they are propped for both engines running
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:17   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
A kicker is fine, although I disagree with the large part. Only fishing boat I ever had with twin engines was actually my Fathers and this 30 or so years ago. It was a 23' Roballo with twin 70 Evinrudes,did fine with both engines, but with one, even with the other trimmed out of the water, it would not plane, so your stuck to a little over hull speed, which a 9.9 will do for that.
I'd be surprised if many twin engine boats will plane on a single engine, due to they are propped for both engines running
Yeah, I would consider 10hp and the bottom end of what I meant by "large". But you just need something that will push you well thru strong seas. 4 hp would be fine in flat water. A high thrust model would be great.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:29   #13

Those 4 cycle smallish outboards 15hp to 25hp is kinda what I am thinking. I read that a Honda will run a long time of only a few gallons of fuel.

I am leaning more toward the 15hp size.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:31   #14

I think you are way over your $50k budget though now! A 250HP outboard will be $20k+ alone right?

Old 12-02-2017, 10:41   #15

I am thinking a boat with a MSRP of 55K might sell for 48k. Plus tax and I can stay 'around' the 50k mark. If I remember correctly the KW 239FS MSRP was near that 55k mark with a trailer.

The KW 219FS was in the mid 40k range.

I am going tomorrow to look at the KW boats again. I also want to look at any used CC boats they have.

Tags
key west