Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2013, 06:19   #1

Heating System Question?

In your opinion...

If I'm buying a boat in Florida, would it be better to have a heating system installed before I take the boat back to Boston or wait until I get it up here, then do it?

I'm guessing that it may be cheaper to do it in Fl, but what about the warranty? I don't want to drag the boat back to Fl if something goes wrong.
Old 31-07-2013, 06:26   #2

Boat: Seaward 22
Re: Heating System Question?

I would have it installed in Boston. I'm sure the installers have put in many more systems in MA than FL.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 06:29   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

It's summer up north now. You've got time to have the heat installed by installers who have done several in a cold climate.
Florida just doesn't get cold enough for the local knowledge to heat oriented.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 10:45   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
In your opinion...

If I'm buying a boat in Florida, would it be better to have a heating system installed before I take the boat back to Boston or wait until I get it up here, then do it?

I'm guessing that it may be cheaper to do it in Fl, but what about the warranty? I don't want to drag the boat back to Fl if something goes wrong.

Does the boat already have reverse-cycle air conditioning? If so, it already includes heat... to a point. If so equipped, you might be able to augment versus full-system installation; using the same ductwork, etc.

-Chris
Old 31-07-2013, 12:32   #5

Boat: Carver 4207, Fountain 38sc, Whaler 24 Outrage

I lived aboard this winter in Chicago. I ran my three reverse cycles constantly, supplemented by a few small space heaters. It stayed warm and comfortable for all but two of the days. So if you already have reverse cycles you may be ok
TFTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 13:28   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFTI View Post
I lived aboard this winter in Chicago. I ran my three reverse cycles constantly, supplemented by a few small space heaters. It stayed warm and comfortable for all but two of the days. So if you already have reverse cycles you may be ok
Is that right? I thought reverse cycle only worked in temps above 40 degrees....hmmm
Old 31-07-2013, 14:28   #7

Boat: Carver 4207, Fountain 38sc, Whaler 24 Outrage

I had small ceramic heaters underneath the forward berth to keep that unit warm and under my galley sole to warm the water lines for the other two units. My aft stateroom always stayed the warmest since I believe it was the lowest in the water. I had one occasion that it got so cold that the water outlet forward basically froze solid. Its a crap shoot as for every boat is different. My neighbors who have been doing this for twenty years run their reverse cycles all winter as well on their Ocean 55.
There is a group on FB called Bostonliveaboards that may be of some assistance to you
TFTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 14:32   #8

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Is that right? I thought reverse cycle only worked in temps above 40 degrees....hmmm

Depends on water temps, not air temps. Although I've heard somewhere around 46-48° water temps the systems become less and less capable. I don't know the real number (but somebody at CruiseAir, or MarineAir, or whomever made the units in that boat, if any, would.)

Of course it also depends on your definition of comfortable. TFTI's tolerance for cold may be lower -- or higher -- than yours

Anyway, if the boat has it, you could probably easily defer the decision about how to proceed with that until you get it home. And the suggestions that Boston folks may have more practical experience adding heating than south Florida folks do... sound feasible.

-Chris
Old 31-07-2013, 14:47   #9

Gg. sounds like. you may have found your boat . So. you going to share with us what it is
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 14:59   #10

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

First off congratulations on finally finding a boat!! Now to answer your question: will you be living on the boat in Boston? If so I would seriously consider a diesel heater. There is not enough heat in the water there in the winter to run reverse cycle. Assuming you are buying a Florida boat it most likely already has AC but does it have heat? No sense in changing a working unit just to get inefficient heat. I would do it locally. That will help you get established with a yard and their service people. Again congratulations and good luck on the first phase of your new adventure.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 15:07   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Reverse cycle in heating mode will work below 40, just not as well as above 40 degrees f. I expect if your wintering over in the northeast, supplemental heating may be needed.

Some larger boats use a small chiller system for cooling with a side arm boiler for heating. Otherwise supplement with diesel furnace (think fuel oil its same thing) would give you a lot of heat for a larger yacht.

Of course one reason to have a boat is to winter over south with summers north.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 15:16   #12

I would use local mechanics... because you migth need some service calls once you start using the system and you'll likely get better service from the people who installed it. They can't blame the faults on the installers!

Diesel fired if your fuel is diesel is a smart move... and a firced air system can be used for AC... no need to have separate heating. Forced air is fast... dry and pretty quiet.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:03   #13

Unless you are planning on living aboard and/or keeping youe boat in Boston, you might consider the Narragansett area. There are a number of good marinas, the weather is a bit milder and it is easy to get all types of work done at several larger marinas from Newport north. I would hazard a guess that it is also less expensive than Boston.

The other consideration that goes along with this relates to sales tax. If you are really planning on cruising extensively and not being tied to a dock in Massachusetts, you can avoid paying MA sales tax by registering and keeping the boat in RI where there is no sales tax and annual boat registration is inexpensive compared to most MA towns/cities.
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 15:10   #14

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Install in Boston and a diesel boiler for the area and size boat you are buying.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 19:42   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post
Install in Boston and a diesel boiler for the area and size boat you are buying.
Phil,
Do you think that I would be better off with a diesel furnace rather than a boiler to keep the condensation to a minimum???

Tags
heating