Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2015, 13:12   #1

Boat: 1998 27' Rinker
Getting Closer!

OK, so are move to Florida should happen within 2 months! We have narrowed our Marina choice down to 2 (depending on availability) and have decided on what boat. I have a couple questions regarding the boat,
1. How are taxes paid on your boat if it is to be your primary residence? Do you pay sales tax up front or just property tax?
2. How is insurance handled on a liveaboard? Will I want to disclose that it is our primary residence? I want to make sure I'm insured properly so I don't want to try and cut corners, just trying to get the best rate.
Thank you for your help!
Robbie430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 18:12   #2

Boat: Grady White 283 Release 28'
Re: Getting Closer!

As far as I know, you will not have to pay real estate tax on your boat even if it is your primary residence. Sales tax, yes.

Not sure about insurance. Would think an insurance company would be happy an owner will be onboard the boat most of the time they are insuring but you never know. I have read that certain insurers do not want their insured boats to be in a hurricane zone like Florida part of the year, but I would think you can find an insurance policy. There are hundreds of live-aboard boats in Florida.

Be certain to check with the marinas you are interested in that they accept liveaboards. Some do not allow them, some have a limited number of liveaboard slips.

Good luck. Be sure the boat you acquire has good A/C, espeically if you are on the western (hotter) coast.
jsschieff is offline   Reply With Quote