Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2012, 13:39   #1

Fl to Bahamas

Making a trip from Ft. Pierce to Abaco Island (Bahamas of course). Looking for the best marina to keep the boat for about 2 months. On my Cabo 40 prices vary from $1,200 month (around Marsh Harbor) to $500 a month (Bluff Marina). $500 what am I missing?

Anyone have some thoughts, observations, experience with some of the marina's on the East side?
caboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 04:40   #2

Re: Fl to Bahamas

The Bluff House on Green Turtle has been running the special $500 a month for awhile. New owners. We have stayed there before although prefer Green Turtle Club just across the small harbor. The Bluff House had some restaurant issues and usually does not have fuel. You will need to rent a golf cart to travel into town (2-3 mi) unless you have a dingy and you can go by water. Will be going to GT the first of June. You would probably enjoy Green Turtle better than Treasure Cay as it is smaller, more laid back, friendlier and classier IMO.
C Skip R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 04:48   #3

Thanks for the comment C Skip R...we have heard about the rest. It seems to be about corrected. We catch and eat so much on board that is not as big of issue. The owners have another location, next to Treasure Cay. They seem to know what they are doing, just slow at doing it?
Old 20-04-2012, 04:59   #4

C Skip R:
We will be staying maybe for 2-3 months...hard to justify 6 or 7 hundred bucks a month more, when I will be flying in and out. Mainly long weekends and an occasional week on board. GT is over $1,100 a month Plus TV and electric each day, but I will not be on the boat...they may give a discount if boat is not occupied. But still over $600 a month. Is it that much better? Fishing and kicking back is our plan...thanks again for the info, something to consider.
Old 20-04-2012, 11:35   #5

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Why not just anchor in White/Black sound or rent a mooring ball? Then when you come visit, you can move your boat to a marina if you choose to.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 11:38   #6

Here's a link to Brendal's mooring rental in White Sound, GTC. I've known Brendal for a very long time, you will not meet a nicer person anywhere.

Brendal's Dive Center | Direct Packages

His moorings are right next to the Green Turtle Club.
Old 20-04-2012, 11:40   #7

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia
Did you try Marsh Harbour Marina (where
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 11:56   #8

Sorry for the unfinished previous post, pressed send by mistake....

Marsh Harbour Marina, where the Jib Room is, is the cheapest marina in Marsh, I believe. Don't forget, if you stay on one of the cays (Green Turtle, Hope Town, Guana) you need to factor in the inconvenience and expense of getting to your boat by ferry when you fly in. You will want to do your major provisioning in Marsh Harbour, so that will be a bit more difficult as well. Treasure Cay Marina would be a good (cheaper) alternative for keeping the boat in your absence, but I would agree with a previous poster that you might like the atmosphere better at Green Turtle or other places.

When you fly in, will you be hanging in the marina, or will you be scooting around, anchoring and visiting other places? VERY easy to fly into MHH. Flights to TCB are limited, depending on where you're flying from.

At TC, dockmaster Mike Sawyer will probably cut you a deal on the electricity - he only charged us on the days we actually hooked up.
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Old 20-04-2012, 12:12   #9

All great ideas, the mooring may work, I like the idea of someone "watching" over the boat at the dock, it's pretty important to me. Actually the ferry isn't that inconvenient for me, and the flights seem to work. the problem is the "skipette" may beat me into the harbor and she is not comfortable moving the boat off the mooring into the dock...she wants to step off the dock into the boat, and off the boat onto a dock.

I have heard Marsh Harbor is quite busy, and I do appreciate a little quite. I probably won't be moving around much, unless the place I pick is not suitable. I may make day or weekend fishing runs somewhere, but will return to the "nest" before leaving flying out.
Old 20-04-2012, 12:25   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
Why not just anchor in White/Black sound or rent a mooring ball? Then when you come visit, you can move your boat to a marina if you choose to.
If I read those rates right, they are $400 for a 40', that's a good deal if the docks are decent and not too crowded. I will give them a call, thanks to you and all the others.
Old 20-04-2012, 12:55   #11

Cabo, what is the draft on your boat? Both White and Black Sounds are somewhat shallow in spots.
Old 20-04-2012, 13:22   #12

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Rent a mooring. Cheaper and the boat is safer with no chance of rubbing on a dock. Contact Donnie Sawyer on GTC 242 365-4119. He has a bunch of moorings, a dock and most important he will actually look after the boat!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 13:25   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
Cabo, what is the draft on your boat? Both White and Black Sounds are somewhat shallow in spots.
4', we are going to dock the boat, anchoring our boat without anyone on board for any length of time I am not comfortable with...plus the security part is difficult to deal with.
We will put it in a dock and then make adjustments as to where and what conveniences we need.

We do a lot of fishing, a lot of cooking on board and sometimes even some drinking. Or a lot of drinking and sometime some fishing, the two sometimes becomes a blur...
Old 20-04-2012, 15:53   #14

If you are going to spend most of your time at a "home base" marina then I would say YES, Green Turtle Club really IS that much better. It is hard to describe the vibe there, but I think it's darn near perfect - elegant but casual and laid back, welcoming but not intrusive. The grounds are beautiful, the bar is old-world colonial, and the Tipsy Turtles are just what you would want them to be. If you plan to do most of your dining on board, be sure to provision well, to minimize trips to Marsh Harbour.

If you are looking for cheap, I'll make one more pitch for the Marsh Harbour Marina - easy in, easy out, and it is on the QUIET side of Marsh - not along the row with all the other marinas.

No doubt about it, though, Green Turtle Club is a great place to hang.
Old 21-04-2012, 15:11   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by caboman View Post
4', we are going to dock the boat, anchoring our boat without anyone on board for any length of time I am not comfortable with...plus the security part is difficult to deal with.
We will put it in a dock and then make adjustments as to where and what conveniences we need.

We do a lot of fishing, a lot of cooking on board and sometimes even some drinking. Or a lot of drinking and sometime some fishing, the two sometimes becomes a blur...
Caboman,
I generally will fly home from GT Club once or twice a trip with no one staying onboard. They are pretty good about watching the boats. Marsh Harbor is very commercial and I don't think you would enjoy. GTC security is better than The Bluff House but like anywhere over there something still could happen. Do you have a dingy? Golf cart? If not you can catch the ferry to downtown for groceries, etc. The electric rate at GTC is $22 day for a 43' boat. Not sure what it is at the BH. If you stay 2-3 months at GTC you should be able to negotiate a better rate than a $1 ft per day.
Skip
C Skip R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas