Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2009, 20:00   #16

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
HERE YA GO!!! Grand Banks

Looks like a great deal if you like wood. I always wanted one of these back in the 80's. Too late now.

32' Grand Banks Woody
Old 13-12-2009, 20:21   #17

Boat: Roberts Offshore 44-Blue Note
The time of year to dive Alaska is winter, when there is no plankton bloom and the visibility is more than zero to 5 feet. So if you want to really enjoy the diving experience up here, your boat better be well insulated and have a good cabin heater in addition to all the other good advice above.
alaska pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 21:08   #18

Boat: Caliber 40
We went around Vancouver Island last summer and absolutely loved it. It was so beautiful and interesting and challenging and fun.

Fuel in Canada is super expensive. I can't remember exactly what we paid per gallon after converting from liters and from CDN but it was in the neighborhood of $4-$5 / gallon for diesel. I would have a hard time dealing with a fuel burn rate of over 1 - 1.5 GPH.

That being said, if we ever go back to the PNW again, Christy and I decided we would get a trawler. Because we sailed about 5% of the time we were up there.
Caliber 40 hull #55
janders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 13:41   #19

Boat: Silverton 42
We live in Vancouver and cruise on a 42' twin screw Convertible (Fisher/Cruiser). Yes fuel is expensive - but sometimes we like to get places in a hurry (cruising 22-24 knots). The boat handles rough seas remarkably well - and you WILL get some rough stuff. With the amount of time you have on your hands - you will likely not need to hurry and so a Sportfisher or Convertible isn't necessary. You need reliability more than anything. Docking in the PNW can be challenging (5-7 knot cross currents at places - yikes - but typically 2-4 knots!) so twin screws or thrusters are helpful. The furthest North we've gone (we're relatively new to boating) is the Broughtons and in 3 seasons (cruising some 75 days a year) we haven't come close to seeing what's close by. Its all breath taking. Have fun and enjoy the dream. Cheers,
Bill
Bill Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 19:12   #20

Boat: Albin Family Cruiser 27'
Thought I would throw my two cents in seeing as I have spent the last three years so far, and will do another season this year, circumnavigating all the islands and mainland of SE Alaska's Inside Passage. So far, have cruised about 3,700 nautical miles - a lot single handed.

So so info and pics:

http://kayakingbear.com/Alaska2008__MG_5975.jpg

I started off in Alaska kayaking of all things. Wow, what a place to do that. The first time was in 1992 where I traded a six pack of beer for three days with a kayak off Point Adolphus with the whales. What a deal that was!

So in 1994, I kayaked by myself for 1000 miles over a five month period following the route of John Muir when he discovered Glacier Bay. Unlike Vancouver, by then there was actually a bay and not just a block of ice.

Then I left the area for time in Seattle and back in Texas then in 2006 went back up to kayak for a season and start circumnavigating my way south, knowing each year I would start off where I left off. But the first year was full of bears from that winter as Alaska was dumped on with a heck of a snowfall and the bears were primarily around the shorelines and fighting each other for space much less someone coming through and setting up camp, so after a few very interesting encounters, I went to Juneau to buy my first boat.

Here are some links that some may find interesting:

Sports | A Lengthy Paddle South -- Solo Kayaker Wary Of Waves, Bears On Trip From Juneau | Seattle Times Newspaper

So while in Juneau, and a quick side story... I was reported missing by friends of mine from the Glacier Bay area who were watching my kayaks and gear.

SIDE STORY:

Missing man found working on his boat
A man reported missing for the last three weeks has been found alive and well.

Alaska State Troopers located 44 year-old Randal Queen working on his boat at Aurora Harbor.

Trooper Sergeant Robert Cox says, apparently, Queen has been working on his boat trying to get it running.

Sergeant Cox says Queen told them he was not aware that people were looking for him.

The Texas resident has been living in Gustavus for about a month.

He was in Juneau on July 3rd, which is the last time anyone had heard anything from him.

Sergeant Cox says Queen is going to call his family and his friends in Gustavus to let them know he's okay.

Cox says Troopers received tips from people who heard radio reports of the search for Queen and that's how they found him.

ANYWAY...

I used the Uniflite 34 twin screw gas for that season, barged it to Seattle, worked on a few things and decided to sell it. And that is when I bought my second boat...

m/v SeaQuil which is a play on words and could just very well be the Sequel. But I like my version better... But this boat is a 27' Albin Family Cruiser with aft cabin. I put a new top for the kayaks and canvased the boat and added all new systems and a Wabasto Heater and a 10 inch Hummingbird plotter and barged that back to Alaska for the second season which was also used for the third season and now this year will be the fourth season, third for my new baby - the SeaQuil.

I did modify as well the battery compartment and moved all batteries under the helm and added a custom 50 gal. diesel tank for a back up tank to the port and starboard 38 gal tanks so I have now an effective range of 700 nautical miles if I use the Wabasto heater on and off.

By having a single screw over the twin screw gas Uniflite 34, I have full confidence in maneuvering the single screw and docking, better fuel economy, easier maintenance, and with a slightly less draft and weight and less beam, can take this little pocket cruiser anywhere.

I have great ground tackle - and have anchored in 45 knot winds off Pt. Adolphus and slept soundly. I have never drifted or slipped anchor. I use a Rocna anchor, 40' of 5/8 chain and half inch line. I can pull the anchor by hand and do, no windless... and have anchored where others dare not and have had no problems.

I can tell you all about cruising the Inside Passage up there. And have met with and talked with a lot of Captains in the area as well as Charter owners and sailboaters. So if you have questions feel free to ask what I may know about this area or what works or what does not. I will do the best I can to answer before I head out again this year for my final season.

And how bad has it ever gotten for me? Coming out of Pheale's Passage I hit and rode out 13-14 foot seas and made my way down to Sitka. I have kayaked in 13 foot seas and so guess being in the Albin was actually drier than the kayak. I think the Albin can handle more than the Captain! And that is the way it should be. The boat being the better of the two.

I have taken over 20,000 photos thus far, in fact lost count. I have had whales, eagles, orcas, moose, bears and bears and more bears... and have a lot of stories about all of this. I can tell you of the bear that bit holes in the back of my dinghy and how it took three weeks to repair but kept using it to haul around two of us on two of three filled chambers... and go on and on.

Last year, kayaking - I had a whale lift me and move me some 6-10 feet and set me back down, that was way too cool. Man have I seen and done a lot and am so blessed.

So anyway... will also post this on my profile about me and if anyone needs to ask anything, let me know...

Tides? Areas? What to expect or find or whatever... I am a chatty catty.

Thanks all.

Randal
kayakingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 16:17   #21

Originally from BC, I've done this trip a number of times in our old Chris Constellation. Basic advice: Tide tables and charts; Study these and check out local rules. Although these waters are protected there's a lot of wicked tidal rip throughout. It doesn't matter what kind of boat you're in here, learn the waters. Even ferries that run weekly have run aground here and many tugs have sunk.
Twins; (or a single with aux.) As noted above there are a lot of passages with massive rip current and tidal bore, there's no such thing as not enough power.
Hecate Strait; Like the North Sea this can whip up some crappy weather so if you find yourself outside of the inside passage; keep way offshore.
Time; Give yourself lots of time. There are a lot of good anchorages and some not so good. Find the ones that work in any weather or wind direction as it can change pretty quickly in the PNW.
Rode; As noted above, make sure you have plenty of anchor rode and at least three anchors. There are some good tides (up to 15+ feet) and also logging was the main industry along most of the coast and good anchorages are full of cables, chains, sunken dead heads and general trash left over the years. I actually hooked onto the remains of an old pick-up once.
Make Friends; you'll never know when you'll need one.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 15:18   #22

Boat: Wellcraft 240 Coastal
I want to thank you all for the great information. My plan for now is to head up north later this year and do a couple of weeks chartering a boat just to be sure it is what I want to do. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to meet some of you along the way.
Divtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 16:25   #23

Boat: Albin Family Cruiser 27'
One of the main companies I see people charter boats from is a group of Nordic Tugs out of Juneau. I think he has ten Nordics in inventory and I see his boats all over. I can say he seems to keep them maintained and running well and clean. He is part of the lease/own program I think.

NordicTugCharters.com

I don't know if he has a waiting list however. But I assume you are looking for Barebone charter.

Randal
kayakingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 15:55   #24

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
I have owned many sail and fast and slower power boats often one or more of each at same time and have done east and west coast cruising both sail and power. I live in Seattle and go north every summer and boat all year. My opinion if you are in no hurry and want comfort-economy-safety go for a medium size 35-40 ft motor sailor or conservative sailboat with a reliable adequete sized motor and moderate easy to handle rig. If you are in a big hurry get a alum. 30-34 ft power catamaran with forward high wheelhouse as used by many of livery boatmen up north with twin inboard-outboard motors. A twin motor trawler is more of everything including maintanence and expense to buy fuel and keep. If you can afford the purchase price etc. it is a relatively pleasent way to go if not too much motor noise. Single motor power boats have a lot going for them but what hapens when motor blows north-west of Johnstone staight as happened to me 3yrs years ago? Had I been in my sailboat setting sail would work-instead 7 hrs tow and then months to replace motor. Fortunatly I had a perfectly good J 44 home at the dock and we flew home sailed to motor boat pulled off gear and continued our summer cruise.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 19:58   #25

Re: Cruising the Pacific Northwest and Alaska's Inside Passage

Hello Randel, are you still boating ?i would like to ask you some questions on the Albin and your Alaska Trip, I am thinking seriosly about purchasing an Albin 27, i have a 40 ft Owens at the present, and have made many modifications for fuel economy,Thanks, Walter Waring, sealtender@gmail.com
40tahitian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 11:30   #26

Hi,MY name is Mary and I purchased a nordic tug last year to cruise the inside passage.We had the same idea.I was on crab boat in early seventies and the trip was cut short when we ran into a barge before sitka,but I always wanted to come back and take my own boat to alaska.My brother who will be with me when we leave la conner has just had knee surgery and is not feeling really competent with just him and I on boat so I am looking for another cremate,Just I would throw this at you.That way you could get the experience for when you finally purchase yor own boat.we are leaving in june and I would like to be back around labor day.Plan on taking our time and leisurely see how for we make it.Might take atlas three summer trips.Aloha,mary
koloastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 11:57   #27

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Welcome aboard Mary,

I wouldn't mind taking the trip but have other obligations. But if I can offer some advice.
The farther north you go the more the environment changes. Tides are faster and higher. Anchorages are deeper. Water is colder. The winds gust more, especially at night. And once north of the city of Vancouver, services become farther between the more north you go. And do keep an eye on your charts for submerged rocks. Try to plan trips thru narrows going with the tide.
Enjoy!
Old 23-02-2017, 12:08   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Keep an open mind on boat types while you look. But don't fall in love with a boat that needs too much work. You could be years at the dock and not doing what you bought the boat for.
As others said, a wood commercial boat that passes a survey could be a good boat for you. They're sturdy and proved themselves by still being around. Most carry plenty of fuel and have storage for dive gear and other plunder in the hold. You get more boat in a wood boat, but more maintenance, too.
When you cruise the inland passage, get plenty of info, talk to others with experience. The tides and currents kill people. Learn about them. Many years ago, a tug and barge went missing. A search found the barge anchored. The tug was the anchor.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:06   #29

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divtruk View Post
Thanks much for all the input! Most likely I will be leaning toward twin screw mainly for the safety aspect of being able to get home if one goes out.
Not if you go aground once.
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:53   #30

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divtruk View Post
Thanks much for all the input! Most likely I will be leaning toward twin screw mainly for the safety aspect of being able to get home if one goes out.
That sure sounds good in theory, but in reality, fuel problems are one of the major causes of marine diesel failures at sea. IF the problem is fuel, it won't matter how many props you're turning, no go juice = no go. I'm thinking the better choice is a single screw with bow thruster and a very good fuel filtering and polishing system.

My pet peeve on power boats (and I'm shopping for one to do the great loop and Caribbean now, is the very limited fuel capacity of most boats. Particularly the go-fast boats. I would like at least 2,000 miles with a reserve, but I'm struggling to find something more than 600 miles and too many 400 or less.

Tags
alaska, pacific northwest