Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2015, 15:42   #301

Re: When we shouldn't encourage people to "just go"

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Actually the most dangerous recreation in the world is SEX...
Funny no one admits it.. or maybe they're just to dumb to realise..

Just Go 4 It...
Kids are a sexually transmitted disease!
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 15:55   #302

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post
Sex while driving a car: very dangerous.
Sex while cruising: not so much (I know, keep a proper lookout, etc.).
Very true, been there done that. The bitch is the semi driver that looks down blasts his horn and gives you the thumbs up. Not a problem on a boat.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:46   #303

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
LOL

Heres the deal.

When they person asking the questions, has a list of questions given back to them,
  1. Can you sail?
  2. Whats a cleat?
  3. Can you read a chart?
  4. A question on Colregs
  5. How to anchor
  6. Do you get seasick?

And it becomes obvious that they know nothing, A wise one will acknowledge that things need to be prioritised.
A whack job will do it anyway.

I just mention that a bit of learning and training would stand them in good stead before going offshore.
If knowing the Colregs or inland navigational rules were actually required for boating, ninety five percent of the people boating now, couldn't!!!
Old 13-10-2015, 11:53   #304

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Very true, been there done that. The bitch is the semi driver that looks down blasts his horn and gives you the thumbs up. Not a problem on a boat.
The equivalent is the powerboat with the fly bridge.
Old 13-10-2015, 13:24   #305

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
The equivalent is the powerboat with the fly bridge.

Can't speak to that, kept that in creeks.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 15:06   #306

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Im thinking you guys are perhaps missing something. Its is not your job or mine to assume the responsibility for anyone else.
[...]
to all of what u wrote
mglonnro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 08:23   #307

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Im thinking you guys are perhaps missing something. Its is not your job or mine to assume the responsibility for anyone else.

Example. 4 years ago, I examined a patient who was a heavy smoker and told him that he was right in line for limb removal if he did not quit smoking immediately. I laid it on the line so he understood the risks

That is as far as I go. He was informed and the rest was up to him. He chose to continue smoking and a few months later had his left leg amputated, and a week later his right. He died a while after that.

I see a lot of information here erring on the side of caution, and personal experience of what is required for certain aspects of sailing, and that is, I am afraid, as far as our 'responsibility' goes.

Would I encourage anyone to "just go?" I find generally I dont encourage people one way or another for a life decision or a choice involving risk. Most people have already decided to do something or not do something and the asking is to 'share the decision'.

I just state the facts and obstacles and the knowledge necessary to do a certain thing, and then leave it to the person. If they ask me directly-I will tell them to think very carefully. If they keep pushing for an answer, unless a family member or close friend, I will not encourage or discourage.

Some people are just plain stupid. Some people have cognitive dissonance when it comes to the situation and an innate belief in their own self and abilities. Some have weighed it all up and decided to do it based on a careful evaluation, and a willingness to learn.

This is a discussion board, and people read this without joining. Some may have made a choice to go sailing from material here, and some will have been put off. We will never know.

Mostly we are adults with life experience, and therefore the choices are not ours to make. We just say it how it is and leave it to each other.

Weavis, you are entirely correct. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink is a truity. I don't expect to force anyone to do anything. If someone asks for good advice (I wouldn't expect them to ask for bad advice) it should be OK to give it. If someone gives some advice that I view as dangerous if followed then it should be Ok for me to express an opinion about that. I have had to "save" several others boats more than a few times. I don't hold it against them as things happen. But I didn't appreciate the one "charter" captain that left the anchorage in Fiji with paying dive customers on a punky plywood trimaran with a severely out-of-balance prop shaft, who knew it was out of balance, and had it all fall apart on a lee shore in a storm where the boat was lost, the customers severely injured and traumatized, and who lost their thousands of dollars in dive equipment and had a major miracle in not dying. Several of us in the anchorage literally begged him to not go. His customers were clueless, as he evidently was. I would have forced him to not go if I could have, but, just as you say, we should feel OK that we said something and let them "just go" and damn the consequences, having done our mininum to assuage our consciences. Sorry for the rant. Some people should not "just go". I don't expect any of them to follow my advice but I will give it if asked or it is overly obvious it might save a life or a boat, or someone else's, by doing so. The ones who don't like it will just have to deal with it.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 23:25   #308

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
That "Hold Fast" video of Moxie's adventure is often is touted as an example of the success of the "just do it" crowd but I'm not sure that his example should be followed.

I'm going to start a quick poll to satisfy my curiosity about this subject...
I for one think there was a lot going on in the background of Hold Fast that didn't give the full perspective. The entire documentary seemed like it was done with a slant and an agenda in my opinion.
CrazyIvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 23:54   #309

Anyone who asks the question should be prepared for the incoming that results.

OTOH I doubt that those others who are doing their thing care much about the opinions of internet forum dwellers who mostly have not BTDT.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 00:16   #310

Boat: Island Packet 40

"Just doing it" does not require one to act as a complete ratbag (perfectly harmless old and honourable Australian vernacular usable in delicate company) and go out there completely heedlessly and carelessly. It means that if you think it is a desirable thing to do you should not agonize forever whether too or not and go make a start.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 00:41   #311

pirate Re: When we shouldn't encourage people to "just go"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
We often have debates about whether we as a general group are too encouraging to newbies with a dream. Most should go and do it, but some should never go to sea.

Can we tell the difference on a forum?

What are our responsibilities as a community?

Here's a cautionary tale from someone who tried to dissuade a dock-mate. He went anyways and put himself and his crew at risk. And learned nothing.
I think the actual question on its own is very belittleling and arrogant to even think this. But, I assume topic starter just wanted to inventarise views and opinions here.

I will never ever tell anyone to go or not to go or not to do something, unless maybe when it is unlawful (but even then, it is not my business to do so).

If all the people in the world were told this throughout history, we still would live in caves wearing a bear skins and eating raw meat. If people want to discover, rise above themselves and do their thing: good luck to them!!
rocma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 01:51   #312

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

I reckon, if you have the inclination, the money, the time, throw caution to the wind and head out past the black stump beyond bourke.

One of the things you simply cannot determine on forums is a person's abilitites. You can determine to some extent their knowledge on a subject, but you cant determine if someone is learning and the knowledge base is growing for them.

Then there is language

Its also difficult to determine someones vessel ability.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 02:39   #313
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: When we shouldn't encourage people to "just go"

When its blatantly obvious their sailing experience comes from 20 viewings of Capt' Ron..
"I can do that.. gimme a boat..!!"

Tell em to GO...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 03:00   #314
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
If knowing the Colregs or inland navigational rules were actually required for boating, ninety five percent of the people boating now, couldn't!!!
We are all screwed then aint we?
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 13:29   #315

Boat: a sailing boat

Some of us assume, IMHO wrongly, that if something is available in print, video, or any other published form, this constitutes an example.

In fact, few, if any, sailors of small or poorly prepared boats make such a claim. And everybody is free to share their story. Or do we want to read only stories from well equipped, competently sailed and maintained boats that participate in Rallies patronized by Yachting World?

Frankly, I get much more inspiration from the other kind. And it is inspiration, not organization, that makes thing happen.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc