Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2017, 16:15   #451

Re: When we shouldn't encourage people to "just go"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLOI View Post
Even more that the cost, navigating up and down the river for an hour each way is a pain in the butt. Docklands is a cool spot to visit for a weekend in a boat, but try and find a berth closer to where you live, and with easier access to the bay.

I had my boat at docklands for 6 months - the novelty wore off after about 4 trips and we moved down to SYC.

Mike

Iím looking for somewhere else to moor the boat, docklands is a lot I just donít know where else is cheap and still has facilityís. Williamstown?
caldawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 18:47   #452

Boat: Etap 37 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldawson View Post
Iím looking for somewhere else to moor the boat, docklands is a lot I just donít know where else is cheap and still has facilityís. Williamstown?
No-where is "cheap" but most will be a bit cheaper than docklands.
You have all the club marinas -Royals (St kilda), Brighton, Sandringham etc. You need to join the club for any of these, about $1k a year.

There is Mt Martha on the east and Wyndam on the west that are new commercial marina's and not full yet. Or Yaringa in Westernport that would be cheaper.

Mike
MLOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 11:37   #453

Boat: Beneteau/343

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
When it comes to crossing oceans everyone is inexperienced the first time.. even racing sailors who think a hack across the Biscay qualifies them as a 'made man'..

Whole different thing to coastal pottering.. as they discover with a shock.. no place to hide.. no quickie rescue and definitely no tow home..

Last summer, we sailed up to Port Angeles from Astoria. We were of course very proud of ourselves for having made it across the Columbia bar and doing another 100+ miles up to Neah Bay. We were stopped at the courtesy dock for a few hours of sleep. Later that morning, a good sized catamaran came in. One of the crew jumped off and began to chat, they had just arrived in from New Zealand. We were still pleased we made it but were properly put in our place......
davefromoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 13:26   #454

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefromoregon View Post
Last summer, we sailed up to Port Angeles from Astoria. We were of course very proud of ourselves for having made it across the Columbia bar and doing another 100+ miles up to Neah Bay. We were stopped at the courtesy dock for a few hours of sleep. Later that morning, a good sized catamaran came in. One of the crew jumped off and began to chat, they had just arrived in from New Zealand. We were still pleased we made it but were properly put in our place......
That's been a big lesson for me too..no matter how bad ass you think you are, there's always someone else out there (lots of them in fact) who's much more bad ass then you! Humility is a good thing on the ocean.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 14:02   #455

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Humility is a good thing on the ocean.
Boy, you got that right!

Ann
Old 23-04-2018, 14:50   #456

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldawson View Post
It all depends on where you live down here,

Yaringa and Hastings have all facilitys, Western Port Bay,
Park your car beside the Marina's,

Williamstown is easy to get in and out of, Its on the bay, Its very crowded, Not sure if they have available berths,

Sandringham YC, Port Phillip Bay, has J boat racing on Wednesday and Sunday, They take out beginners,
But racing and cruising are two very different things,
I stopped going there as Racing is not my cup of tea, Im a cruiser,

St Kilda YC is close to every thing, But the walk down the peir, Then a courtesy dinghy ride and no where to park your car, Is a PITA,

You can check all the prices on line for all the moorings, And available Moorings,

Im near Hastings as it takes the same time for me to get to St Kilda as it does to get to Western Port Bay,

Have you moved your boat down here yet,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 15:58   #457

Boat: Knysna 440

There are some serious egos in this thread. If you think your few words of discouragement can dissuade a starry-eyed newbie such as myself, you don't comprehend the intensity of my dream. Tell me I can't do it, and I'll prove you wrong just to spite you. Maybe that's why Bumfuzzle was so determined years ago. Reverse psychology and all of that.
Lonestaralaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 16:30   #458

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestaralaskan View Post
There are some serious egos in this thread. If you think your few words of discouragement can dissuade a starry-eyed newbie such as myself, you don't comprehend the intensity of my dream. Tell me I can't do it, and I'll prove you wrong just to spite you. Maybe that's why Bumfuzzle was so determined years ago. Reverse psychology and all of that.
You have that right,

I flew into Fiji to buy a Catamaran for 150 Grand, I also retired that day too,
My knowledge of sailing was Zilch, Im a motor boat man, 40 odd years of it,

I spent six weeks in Fiji learning to sail a boat and all the systems on it,
I had never seen any of it before, I didnt even know what it did,
Let alone turning it on, Hahahaha,
This boat came with all the bells and whistles, So a lot to learn, fast,

A day and a half later, The PO took off for Hawai, I was on my own,
Crash course in operating a 34 foot sailing Catamaran,

I learnt to sail in the bar every night from the international sailors that were there,
I kept them entertained with my lack of sailing experience,
But they taught me fast, They knew what I was going to do and helped immensely,

Six weeks later, I sailed my Cat to Australia single handed,

Yep, I was told I was crazy and I would die from various Forum personalitys,

We were all learners once, Some forget that small fact, Hahahaha

Cheers, Brian,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 05:26   #459

Quote:
If you think your few words of discouragement can dissuade a starry-eyed newbie such as myself, you don't comprehend the intensity of my dream.
Good for you. And that's kind of the whole point.

The people who are truly ready to go are not going to be discouraged by a few negative comments from strangers on an internet forum. Anyone who CAN be discouraged by negative comments on an internet forum is definitely NOT ready to "just go!" Hence, the negative comments are probably a very good thing for those people to hear.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 06:57   #460

@ #59:

Quote: " Anyone who CAN be discouraged by negative comments on an internet forum is definitely NOT ready to "just go!" Hence, the negative comments are probably a very good thing for those people to hear."

Now, THAT is the whole point. And why some of us roll our eyes and more or less politely suggest that more knowledge, including self-knowledge, might be a good thing.

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 07:17   #461
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

If cruising isn't really that hard....
If it doesn't take years of training and experience....
If it really doesn't take the "Right Boat"....
If someone or a family can buy a boat and 6 months later cast off and GO....
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 08:25   #462
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: When we shouldn't encourage people to "just go"

Quote:
I get told I've a death wish all the time.. in most countries I have been to..
One can ask advice but only your gut can tell you to heed it or not..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

A Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 09:41   #463
CLOD

Boat: none

After all the time this thread has been going I’m still ok with people just buying a boat and going! In the end what’s really matter to me what people want to do? Sailing is easy! It’s the crap that happens that is the problem and it makes if you are “home” when it happens or somewhere else.

So Just Go already! If you aren’t trainable along the way you might not make it! I’m ok with that if it’s ok with you.
Old 24-04-2018, 09:52   #464

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
After all the time this thread has been going Iím still ok with people just buying a boat and going! In the end whatís really matter to me what people want to do? Sailing is easy! Itís the crap that happens that is the problem and it makes if you are ďhomeĒ when it happens or somewhere else.

So Just Go already! If you arenít trainable along the way you might not make it! Iím ok with that if itís ok with you.
I generally agree with this. How many novice cruisers have died because they set out before learning enough? None that I know of. It's not the rank beginners who are dangerous, in my opinion. It's those who know a little and think they know everything (Rebel Heart, anyone?). Ironically, these are the people most likely to sneer at the rank beginners .
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 10:25   #465
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I generally agree with this. How many novice cruisers have died because they set out before learning enough? None that I know of. It's not the rank beginners who are dangerous, in my opinion. It's those who know a little and think they know everything (Rebel Heart, anyone?). Ironically, these are the people most likely to sneer at the rank beginners .
In climbing circles there is a progression that I would guess applies to sailing too.

Beginners - They are bright eyed and bushy tailed, eager to learn. They really have no clue as to the number of decisions that they are making (and the results of a bad decision). Ignorance is bliss.

Intermediate - These folks have some training and are building on their skills. They have plans for failures but little experience. This is where over confidence comes into plan and makes for a bad day.

Advanced - These folks have a deep understanding of what it is all about and the experience to see where they were this close from disaster. They have become measured and cautious even when doing bold things.

In my experience teaching climbing over the last 40 years I find that the "tourists" never leave the Beginner stage. They do a few climbs and then move on.

A vast majority end up in the Intermediate stage and never advance. Not only does it take experience to move on to advanced but it also takes some deep understanding. Just a few go on to become advanced climbers.

This is not to say that intermediate climbers are "dangerous" climbers. It just means that as they do more and harder climbs they are at times exceeding their limits and when the conditions are unfavorable their skills or decisions fail them with undesirable results.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc