Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2008, 13:48   #1

Boat: Bristol (Alden) 35 Sloop "Zephyr"
When it almost hit the fan

One time when I left West End, Grand Bahama Island to cross back over to the States I had an exciting moment!
Before long the wind picked up and I had to reef the main. I went up to the mast and lowered the mainsail. I was a bit tired as I had only slept a few hours the night before I left. As I started to hook the tack on the hook, something seemed strange. Then I realized the topping lift shackle had parted at the boom, and the boom dropped down. And the topping lift and broken shackle were flying around, while the 5' blade on the wind generator tried it's best to eat it! I didn't want to think what would have happened if they came together. I got the boat pole and while the wind generator was spinning madly, and the topping lift was flying around, I stood on the lazarette, trying to catch the topping lift as it flew by. After a few minutes I got it.
I put a larger shackle on it!
Just one of many cruising tales.
over40pirate is offline   Reply With Quote