Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2006, 22:30   #1

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
Went for a dip in the st lucie river....

So anyhow, we usually spend the weekends on the boat, obviously there is always a project needing my attention. The wife works right up the road so we usually meet at the boat on Fridays.

My trip to meet her start with me going out to start my truck and realizing the battery was dead... yea left the lights on. Anyhow on to the fun part, we go to get in the dinghy and the sludge or slime or whatever the hell collects on boats here in the brackish water was pretty thick, so I tell her to hang tight I'm gonna lean over the stern of the plastic boat or "The Leaky Tiki" as we have dubbed it, as I am leaning over the stern she decides to hop out and get something out of the car...... in i go. It's official my new cell phone that was in my pocket set a new record... dead in under two weaks. Now I am pretty pissed cause I told her to hang tight, so I think I prolly said something fairly unpleasent since we joke about the tiki being unstable and a scary at times when loaded.

I'd have prolly thought it funny if my brand new phone and wallet weren't soaking wet. Gave the people at the clubhouse something to laugh at i am sure. I figure I'll do fake beating on her in the car like Larry David did on Curb Your Enthusiasm in the car (bad joke if you aren't a fan of the show) to really give them something to .... uh not laugh about.
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2007, 11:30   #2

Boat: Laguna 26
Since we work at a marina we have had several drowned cell phones. My wife has became pretty good at reviving them. She has found a product that they use in the canvas shop its made by Sprayway called C-60, it is a solvent but will get rid of the moisture. If you can get the phone apart and use C-60 on it it will probably be ok. So far she has saved every phone she has tried it on.

We have also learned to get the battery out as soon as possible after the dunking. I would think that if the phone got dunked in salt water you would need to rinse it very well with fresh water first.
TX Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote