Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2013, 19:08   #16

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Re: We bought the boat - NOW WHAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by settingsun View Post
We sold everything at yard sales in 3 weeks.

This isn't a great season for yard sales in Colorado!

We've met lots of folks that hired an auction house to get rid of everything. From what I've been told, it was painless and easy and done in one day.

I've heard of people getting someone familiar with Estate Sales can clean house quickly. Sounds like a good way to go.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 19:23   #17

Boat: 44' Schucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by settingsun View Post
We sold everything at yard sales in 3 weeks.

This isn't a great season for yard sales in Colorado!

We've met lots of folks that hired an auction house to get rid of everything. From what I've been told, it was painless and easy and done in one day.
settingsun, Thanks!

Do you know if they were satisfied with what they got for their "stuff".

This may be the way to go.
Old 14-01-2013, 05:19   #18

Location: On dry land at the moment...and looking to rectify that!
Boat: Currently in the market for a new (to us) boat

Marina rates in Edgewater, MD are cheaper than Annapolis proper.
You can look at Liberty Marina. They are a liveaboard marina, and typically have space.

What kin of boat is it? (length?)

We are putting ours at Annapolis Landing Marina, and you also have Port Annapolis right next door.

< 40 ft boat costs about $7000 a yr. But, both are liveaboard marinas, and have amenities. Close to downtown, etc.

Regards,
S/V Octopussy

Watch the Cast and Crew as we refit a Prout Snowgoose 37, move aboard, and get ready to go cruising.
The critics are saying, "We laughed; we cried; we nearly pissed our pants!"

Follow the adventure at S/V Octopussy | "Better to take many small steps in one direction, than to make one giant leap" - Chinese Proverb
Octopussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 05:42   #19

Boat: Morgan 416

Hi CNC!
We have gone through the process upon which you are embarking and are now renting while the admiral finishes up her work. It took us 3 months to get the house sold, we had yard sales twice to get rid of all the stuff we could, the hired a local person who does estate sales. He did a great job of taking the pressure off as to what to do and even cleared out what was not sold by having connections to a person who paid a lump sum for what little did remain. The sale was over two days.

We had family and friends come into the house prior to the estate sale to make offers or to pick from what we were giving away. It was a bit time consuming and a little emotional to look through everything personal, identify who it should go to, and get it to them.

We separated everything we thought we would need for the boat and, as we are sailors, we had about five WalMart bins for that "stuff." We took what we just couldn't part with (albums, winter coats - just in case we venture back to the north country) to storage at the in-laws. We just donated all our Christmas stuff to Good Will including a couple fake trees and donated piles and piles of clothes to them as well.

We chose a surveyor through SAMS.org and I had to call three to get one. We were very pleased with the result. The surveyor we used (in FL) was a grad of Purdue Engineering and had designed and built boats.

PM me if you have any questions and GOOD LUCK!! It'll all work!
PapaBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 05:53   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBruce View Post
Hi CNC!
We have gone through the process upon which you are embarking and are now renting while the admiral finishes up her work. It took us 3 months to get the house sold, we had yard sales twice to get rid of all the stuff we could, the hired a local person who does estate sales. He did a great job of taking the pressure off as to what to do and even cleared out what was not sold by having connections to a person who paid a lump sum for what little did remain. The sale was over two days.

We had family and friends come into the house prior to the estate sale to make offers or to pick from what we were giving away. It was a bit time consuming and a little emotional to look through everything personal, identify who it should go to, and get it to them.

We separated everything we thought we would need for the boat and, as we are sailors, we had about five WalMart bins for that "stuff." We took what we just couldn't part with (albums, winter coats - just in case we venture back to the north country) to storage at the in-laws. We just donated all our Christmas stuff to Good Will including a couple fake trees and donated piles and piles of clothes to them as well.

We chose a surveyor through SAMS.org and I had to call three to get one. We were very pleased with the result. The surveyor we used (in FL) was a grad of Purdue Engineering and had designed and built boats.

PM me if you have any questions and GOOD LUCK!! It'll all work!

PapaBruce,

Thank you so much for the insight. Were you surprised with the estate sale with how much you did or didn't get?
Old 15-01-2013, 08:25   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, haw1961.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 05:54   #22

Location: On dry land at the moment...and looking to rectify that!
Boat: Currently in the market for a new (to us) boat

I have a surveyor I can recommend in Annapolis if you're still looking.
Annapolis Marine Surveys. Steve Uhthoff is a good, down-to-earth, knowledgable guy. His father was in the boat business, so he grew up here on the Annapolis waterfront. And, he's done well over 2000 surveys (maybe more).

Annapolis Marine Surveys, Marine Surveyor | Steven Uhthoff

Cheers,
S/V Octopussy

Follow the adventure at S/V Octopussy | "Better to take many small steps in one direction, than to make one giant leap" - Chinese Proverb
Octopussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 09:59   #23

thanks Gord May.
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 15:59   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

Quote:
hire a surveyor
Other than reducing the risk of buying an unsuitable boat the other reason for a survey is to get insurance. Check out a few insurance companies. Many will have lists of surveyors. I'd suggest leaning towards one that has been in business for a long time and is local. You may be able to get some suggestions by asking on this Forum but do check that they are acceptable to your insurance company.

Quote:
sell my house
In Oz we don't sell houses at the drop of a hat. If the house is suitable for renting (slightly run down, good area) and you can find a good agent then why not?

Quote:
liquidate everything we own
This is not going to be easy. We're going through this at the moment and everything is going to one of six "baskets":-
1) Give to or leave with relatives or force them to take it. Mention you may want it back someday.
2) Give to charity
3) Yard sale - when I looked at what we owned it would have cost more to sell than it was worth.
4) Put it on the boat.
5) Throw it away
6) Put into storage. Given your tight schedule this may need to be done with a lot of stuff. Don't leave it there. As time permits get rid of it all.
These days it is fairly straightforward to scan photos. It takes a long time but I've just done most of mine and will keep multiple copies in different locations.

Quote:
EXPLAIN TO MY WIFE that her 4500 sq ft house is now...
Good luck...

Quote:
LEARN TO SAIL vs being a deck hand
I may be blasé but learning to sail could be the least of your problems. I'd suggest living on the boat for a while, having a chat with other boat owners, taking a motor round the bay and then learning the delights of docking. See if you can get someone with experience with your sort of boat to go with you the first few times.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 18:44   #25

Boat: 1974 Tayana 37'

CNC,
We are right there with you, just on the other coast. We have been planning for about 8 years to do this, but the plan was to sell the house in fall of 2014 and then buy a boat however last summer while looking at sailboats we found the boat of our dreams in our price range and decided to try to purchase it and our finances fell in place and we became boat owners even though we still live in Montana. Our time frame got moved up 18 months and we have a boat before we sold our house. We are in a crash course of selling our house and downsizing and moving. We were going to move after the kids left but lo and behold we have one child that is willing to give up her senior year and share our dream for a year with us. We don't know how to sail so we are facing some of the same obstacles you are. We are only a couple steps ahead in that we have the survey done, we have the boat, we found a wonderful Marina with people who are more than willing to help us learn and share their love of sailing with us. This sailing community is an amazing group of people. The crisis of the moment that we are facing is that we can't get insurance because we have no (or limited ) experience so we have the boat but are scrambling to get insurance. We plan having the house sold and downsized by April (hopefully) or June (realisticlly). Keep in touch and we can coach each other through this crazy process.
10yearplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 09:25   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10yearplan View Post
CNC,
We are right there with you, just on the other coast. We have been planning for about 8 years to do this, but the plan was to sell the house in fall of 2014 and then buy a boat however last summer while looking at sailboats we found the boat of our dreams in our price range and decided to try to purchase it and our finances fell in place and we became boat owners even though we still live in Montana. Our time frame got moved up 18 months and we have a boat before we sold our house. We are in a crash course of selling our house and downsizing and moving. We were going to move after the kids left but lo and behold we have one child that is willing to give up her senior year and share our dream for a year with us. We don't know how to sail so we are facing some of the same obstacles you are. We are only a couple steps ahead in that we have the survey done, we have the boat, we found a wonderful Marina with people who are more than willing to help us learn and share their love of sailing with us. This sailing community is an amazing group of people. The crisis of the moment that we are facing is that we can't get insurance because we have no (or limited ) experience so we have the boat but are scrambling to get insurance. We plan having the house sold and downsized by April (hopefully) or June (realisticlly). Keep in touch and we can coach each other through this crazy process.

Jamyne and David,

Great minds think alike! Our stories are SO similar it's amazing. We looked at your blog and you inspired us to start one as well. Let's keep in touch!
Old 17-01-2013, 09:39   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
Other than reducing the risk of buying an unsuitable boat the other reason for a survey is to get insurance. Check out a few insurance companies. Many will have lists of surveyors. I'd suggest leaning towards one that has been in business for a long time and is local. You may be able to get some suggestions by asking on this Forum but do check that they are acceptable to your insurance company.

In Oz we don't sell houses at the drop of a hat. If the house is suitable for renting (slightly run down, good area) and you can find a good agent then why not?

This is not going to be easy. We're going through this at the moment and everything is going to one of six "baskets":-
1) Give to or leave with relatives or force them to take it. Mention you may want it back someday.
2) Give to charity
3) Yard sale - when I looked at what we owned it would have cost more to sell than it was worth.
4) Put it on the boat.
5) Throw it away
6) Put into storage. Given your tight schedule this may need to be done with a lot of stuff. Don't leave it there. As time permits get rid of it all.
These days it is fairly straightforward to scan photos. It takes a long time but I've just done most of mine and will keep multiple copies in different locations.

Good luck...

I may be blasé but learning to sail could be the least of your problems. I'd suggest living on the boat for a while, having a chat with other boat owners, taking a motor round the bay and then learning the delights of docking. See if you can get someone with experience with your sort of boat to go with you the first few times.
Boracay,

ALL very good advice!

The surveyor being acceptable to the insurance company THANK YOU, never would have thought of that! I'm now on a mission to do that TODAY! I was just about to go with one that was a recommendation form my broker.

Selling the house - We had been planning on doing this whole move to a boat think next April (2014) because of our youngest son finishing High School but when we found out a few months ago that my wife must return to sea level (we currently live in high altitude Colorado) for heath reason's, the plan got pushed up a year. We thought that we would rent the home we built here and eventually return but that is no longer an option so the decision to sell it was pretty easy.

The basket system - take a look at 10yearplan a few posts ago. They have a blog listed in their signature. They are just ahead of us in the process and when I saw that she went from a whole room dedicated to decorations that is now a shoe box I know we can do it too!

Thank you all for the help!
Old 19-01-2013, 18:57   #28

Boat: Currently boatless
We did and we bought from Col Springs too. Congrats!

We put all big stuff on Craigslist but said that it would be available at a garage sale which increased traffic to the sale (can be done indoors if space allows). Then at the end of the garage sale day we put an announcement in freecycle.org saying all leftovers were free. We put them at the end of the driveway and they were all gone the next day.

Never looked back.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 17:35   #29

Good luck
stag9150 is offline   Reply With Quote