Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 01:53   #1

Tremendously tempted to blow kitty on The (?) boat. Help.

So hubby and I have a plan. We did a boat share last summer on a Catalina 27 and put off buying our own to get a bit more experience and find the right boat. We have a very old, dear, cat with health challenges who is defying everyone's expectations (especially our vet!) and keeps puttering along. Hubby and I decided we would wait until she goes, then buy a cheapo boat in the east and sail in the Bahamas for a year or so.

Except I keep a close eye on yachtworld and craigslist and such and have recently found a unique boat I quite like. It is a good price but would mostly wipe out the cruising kitty and it is here on the west coast. We are tempted to just go for it and revise the plan. It would definitely provide more comfortable cruising, better resale, more confidence from a better build but we'd have to stay another year or two to build our savings again. Perhaps even liveaboard once our cat passes on to accelerate saving but in Van that is a whole lotta challenges itself...

Hubby is resistant but does seem a bit smitten with this boat and is willing to adjust the plan? Wondering what would you guys do?
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:59   #2

Boat: Orca 38
Re: Tremendously tempted to blow kitty on The (?) boat. Help.

Soooo, what kinda boat?
Old 03-01-2014, 02:01   #3

Well lets start with....whats the other boat your looking at? We heard plan A but if you decided on buying this more expensive boat what would plan B look like?
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:01   #4

Best advice I ever got was from an old and conservative boss, who surprised me when he said "if you are thinking of doing it, do it!".

Or as someone famous (whose name eludes me right now) said: you only ever regret the things you did not do.

A little bit longer working should not be a show stopper, particularly when you need some of the time for a noble cause (cat) anyway.
Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:24   #5

We were thinking along the lines of a Sirius 28 (at the cheap end) or maybe a Pearson, even a Canadian Sailcraft or an Island Packet. Nothing grabbing us out there right now but something 28-34 in decent condition that we could start an adventure in under $50k and have $50k to cruise on. The west coast boat would set us back likely $90k.

Plan B would look like save more money for at least a few years. Explore some of beautiful BC and improve skills during vacation time. Then either sail to Mexico or ship boat to the east coast? A few options...
Old 03-01-2014, 02:29   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

You do which plan tells you that you want to do it. People can give you all the advice in the world, but you both know what you want to do. Go with your gut feeling.

Coops.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:39   #7

Boat: CSY 37 Plan B

We did just that! Our 5 year plan turned into 14 months and we were living in the FL Keys. However we figured if we need to save money, why not do it here instead? So we have been in Marathon for one year today, we were going to leave in Nov but we found our new boat. 50k will buy you a lost more boat than you think if you are where the boats are. I'd argue you could find a great seaworthy boat ready to cruise for far less than 50k. Who knows what the next couple years might bring? Find a place you want to hold up after you buy the boat (for us it was Marathon) work a bit to fill the kitty (you might as well make money while enjoying the scenery) then take off.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:48   #8

Aw coops, I know I know! Perhaps I should think twice before starting threads at 2am when I can't sleep...

My gut tells me the dream is the Bahamas. Wait for it. Crap.
Thanks for that

But the boat is awfully pretty. It is the CR 310 in Seattle. We're totally smitten.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:51   #9

Wish we could work in the Keys or somewhere warmer anyway Thin Line but I think the US authorities would not approve, us being Canadians and all. Happy for you guys though! Awesome, will check out your blog
Old 03-01-2014, 03:55   #10

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Your cat is "family". Hold still until ... In the meantime, build your coffers while you still can. As we get older, it gets tougher to replenish the treasury. Good luck!

Mauritz
I un-complicate things...knows and sees all...
Old 03-01-2014, 05:03   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You know when you look at the thread title, and then open the thread and first thing you talk about is having a sick cat, it had me wondering for a minute
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:00   #12

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl View Post
Plan B would look like save more money for at least a few years. Explore some of beautiful BC and improve skills during vacation time. Then either sail to Mexico or ship boat to the east coast? A few options...
One thing that came to my mind is that those skills could develop quickly if you have your own boat that you can take out anytime you want. Having your own boat, you can dock it and still save up before you cast off for far off places. Your cruising fund may grow slower but you'll still get a boat and learn how it handles and find out what it will need along the way too.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:14   #13

that sure looks pretty.

ok so your in BC .. some pretty amazing cruising grounds right at home. if you get the boat and spend a couple years building some money up and doing extended weekends and a couple longer trips near home. you are near where you know people if something goes wrong. this is good in two way. there is someone to call you know if something goes wrong. and you have a little more confidence to push your self a little more.

you say your looking at a little more like 50K so .. offer it or close too it worst thing that could happen is they say no right? .. I know a boat down here in Olympia thats listed at 50K and I am pretty sure the owners would take "any offer" note there is no reasonable in that statement. my feeling was 15-20 would sail away(although the boat is rough and I wouldnt trust it.) if its the right boat for you they will take your offer or counter with something that you are happy with and everyone is all honky dory. of course all depending on a survey.

I also am I believer of spending a year or two with your boat around home will let you know waht YOU need on it not what everyone is telling you and again there comes that confidence thing. now you know when you leave that you have it set up the way you want.

yet one more point.. of being near home for a year or two is getting kinks out and getting to know the boat a little better before you go.

best of luck. If it doesn/t happen it wasnt the right one
Unkle Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:20   #14

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

Move the damncat onboard. It will adapt. They don't like change but they will adjust if their humans are there with them.

As others have said, the BC waters are a destination cruising ground for much of the world so you may find that you are content to explore the PNW for a long time. Three years in and we're nowhere near done exploring.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:06   #15
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

They're asking way too much for that 310. You could get much more boat for the same money.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men