Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2007, 22:23   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Things that go Bump!!!

Well its time to confess. While delivering my Sceptre 41 a couple months ago I hit a rock in Canoe Cove BC off the customs dock. I didn't think I hit it that hard and was able to get right off. Never looked at it that closely. Had a diver look at it yesterday and found that he could see the lead in the keel. Don't know how much. Diver said that it was lead enclosed in fiberglass. No leaks in the bilge. When I studied the chart more closely-- afterward. I saw the rock under the letters that spelled out Canoe Cove. My fault. Can't duck that.

Anyway it has been like this for a couple of months and I'm scheduled to sail the boat for a couple of weeks starting on Sunday or Monday but am concerned about whether it needs to be fixed today or whether we can wait till I'm back from two weeks of cruisng. Any comments?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2007, 23:40   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Well on one hand, I suppose if it has been like it for two months, a couple more weeks won't do any more harm.
I doubt you will get water in the bilge, I am assuming this is a seperate bolted to hull Keel?? The only issue would be water getting inbetween the glass laminate and lead. The lead ain't going to rust however, so the only issue is the water itself.
On the other hand, is the keel connection and seal to the hull OK. That would be more criticle IMO. I suspect it will be, they can take a fair thumping, but the keel bolts would be the place of greater concern. Look for cracks around the joint area. Short term it ain't going to cause to much of an issue, but long term it will y eating away the keel bolts.
However, I don't know the Sceptre, so someone else that does may have different and more accurate advice on this.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2007, 00:35   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
If I remember right

They do make a two part epoxy clay that can be install underwater. Just for safety sake you could put that over the spot until you get back, then take care if it then.
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2007, 05:34   #4

Charlie,

The keel is lead but not encased in fiberglass. At least this is the configuration on our Sceptre. I would speculate that the diver saw lead encased in a barrier coat/coats of bottom paint.

Should be no problem to fair out and repaint next time you haul.

Best,

John
www.kloosh.com
jemsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2007, 09:12   #5

Thank you all.

Wheels:

Sceptre has a low aspect ratio keel with a long shoe on the bottom of the hull. One of the reasons I bought the boat was because of the strong keel connection. I will check the Keel bolts carefully though.

Del:

I'll check with the builder and find out if it is glass or fairing compound

John:

Thanks for the insight. I'll confirm with Jeff.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2007, 09:59   #6
cruiser

I'd second Del's approach (as well as doing everything Wheels said). There are a good number of epoxies out there now that set underwater. I even saw one made by Locktite in Home Depot! Any marine store will carry one.

If there is indeed no fiberglass and it's just painted lead, no worries except the attachment points, as Wheels pointed out.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2007, 10:23   #7
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
I have been known to touch the bottom now and then:

Therefore built a sacrificial shoe under the keel a few years ago.
Glassmat and epoxy, about an inch thick or so.

Last year I did a boo-boo and got stuch on a rock for 5 hours or so untill the tide got me off.

The shoe under the keel did its job, but died protecting it..

Have to repair that sacrificial shoe on the next haul-out, does not look pretty, but not a scratch on the original keel..

Perhaps going overboard with modifications on the boat, but protecting it from the owner..
Old 26-04-2007, 11:12   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
CSY, for your sacrificial area, try using epoxy carborundum and glass. The carbo maybe a little to thick to wet the glass, so just wet it a little with epoxy resin and lay on two or three alternating layers of glass/carbo/glass/carbo. The stuff becomes litteraly as hard if not harder than rock and is brilliant at protecting from wear like that.
I have always found it quite astonishing as to how much abuse a bolt on keel can atually take, when you think of the mass it has and the so few bolts there are that hold it on and often that the bolts are bronze which is not as strong as HT steel or SST. All in all, the keels tend to withstand a fair ole hammering.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2007, 11:18   #9
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
try using epoxy carborundum and glass.
Good idea, will try that next time.

My keel is all fiberglass with encapsulated concrete, therefore the "shoe".

(Is that spelled right: Encapsulated...?)
Old 03-05-2007, 20:34   #10

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Charlie...I think underwater epoxy is a poor fix, as you would be sealing water under the fiber-glass. At least have a travel-lift hold you in the slings overnight to do a beter job and inspection...Aloha
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 21:23   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Charlie,

My opinion is that you can leave it for two weeks and take care of it when you get back.

Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:38   #12

Travel lift it

that would be my vote.Anytime you nail a rock ,an inspection out of the water is crucial.Going out for a few weeks with a suspect amount of water in the keel would not be prudent.It might be nothing , It might be a disaster, but for a couple of hundred bucks you get to find out.
Capct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:50   #13

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man
Good idea, will try that next time.

My keel is all fiberglass with encapsulated concrete, therefore the "shoe".

(Is that spelled right: Encapsulated...?)
yes.

Tried to just answer 'yes' but got told the message was too short. Who ever heard of a too-short message?

(One more sleep until launch. yay!)
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote