Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2011, 13:23   #331
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Re: Sudden Attraction to Hunters

Let's keep it civil. We're all using the internet to express our opinions, it goes with out saying. Disagreement and discussion is a good thing, disparaging another's opinion is not.

Old 13-06-2011, 14:41   #332

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

LOL, S/V Illusion. I work in a marina that caters almost exclusively to transient sailboats. Not only do we get them as tennants (allowing up-close and personal looks at them), I also regularly see them sailing in the harbor, as well as in the marina where I live. There's a late 90's-ish model H34 four boats down from the slip I live in. Are you seriously daft enough to suggest that an experienced liveaboard sailor can't look at a boat up close and tell that it is of questionable quality and construction? If so, you're the biggest "internet expert" here. Sounds like you've got your panties all in a bunch for some reason. The Hunters from the 70's and 80's appear to be decent boats, on par with Catalinas and Beneteaus of the same era. The Hunters made in the 90's appear to be absolute junk. I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would ever want to own one. They are second only to the McGregor 26 in terms of being awful boats as far as I'm concerned. I don't care if you dislike my opinion or not.
Old 13-06-2011, 14:50   #333
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
It's not rational to expect the owners to be the critics, either. Firstly, to admit problems with the boat you chose, you first have to admit you made a poor choice. Nobody wants to do that. Secondly, you may want to sell that boat someday, and publicly running it down is not the best strategy for bucking up its resale value.
I wouldn't say this. If I did research and got "tricked" etc into buying something that wasn't what is was suppose to be I would be letting everyne know so they didn't get taken in. I would not consider my being mislead as my being stupid.

And remember I started this thread way before I became a Hunter owner.

I will tell you I found a problem yesterday on my Hunter 410. The seas were 6-10', steep, frequent, confused, and I needed to beat into them to get home. The boat pounded though it just fine, much better than its' owners did. But I found my nice comfortable cockpit doesn't really have any corner to wedge yourself into. But I think I accept this for the much more offen experienced enjoyment of the room of the cockpit!

In the end I think enough bad press from a couple of models has lead to the overall Hunter bashing. And now evryone just seems to "know" all Hunters must be crap. (anyone remember the Ford Pinto)
Old 13-06-2011, 14:54   #334

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
I don't care if you dislike my opinion or not.
Disliking an opinion denotes you hold some value in it. Basing an opinion on "up close and personal looks at them" is dubious at best and shows the problem here when questioning a judgment.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:33   #335
CLOD

Boat: none

So after a few months now of sailing on my 2001 Hunter 410 I can say this:

I got this boat to be comfortable when in port, there's no agruing that it completely meets this!

- The boat sails much better than I thought it would and it's fast (probably faster if it had a better driver with more courage).
- That full roach main with smaller genny really is easier to handle. And so far that small genny having the track on the cabin top instead of the deck means I have not kicked my toe on anything.
-That traveler arch is great, I can not find any negative to having this!
- The boat is a lot more comfortable under sail than I expected. I thought the boat was kind of light weight and worried that it was going to be bouncy, but it isn't and I have no explaination.
- The low stern means that there isn't any aft water slap and I sleep a lot better.
- I keep finding more storage locations for "later"
- There is a lot of freeboard and if the dock is low its' a big step up.
- It motors a lot faster than I expected compared to my Cal-39 and uses much less fuel to do it. Must be something about the hull shape.
- Interior is well attached. I pounded the boat pretty hard a few weeks ago and it didn't rattle etc and the doors all still shut. I haven't noticed any indication of a flex issue.
- My rudder has not fallen off (just a joke because people seemed to think Hunter rudders just fall off).
- I wish that there was more aft railing that stuff could be mounted to like the outboard and BBQ. But I can fix this.
- YES - you can not sail as deep downwind with the B&R rig. So far only mattered once and I think I'm going to be able to live with that 20 degrees of lost sail point that I rarely used anyway.
- There's no backstay, oh my GOD! Well it also means that it's not in the way and sometimes I miss it for hanging my arm around, but most of the time I'm gald it isn't in the way. And of course I don't have to remember to pump up my hyd tensioner anymore.
- The electric system is much more complex than my Cal-39. But it all makes good sense and is well installed.
- I noticed hand holds the other day that I had not noticed for almost 3 months. I wonder why Hunter installed those extra ones?

While I of course what to believe I made a good choice; I don't really have negatives about the boat. Just the normal small "wish this was different" stuff that all boats have a trade-offs.

And while the boat I'm sure was designed to fall into a certain price point range (like all manufactured stuff) I have not found any construction issue than I would consider as "cheap". The boat is well build and put together. And since it is 10 years old now I would expect that things that were not well assembled would be showing.

So in end I got past my anti-Hunter thinking and got a newer boat for my money (newer is almost always less beat up) with modern design, instead of a "classic" boat that would have been much older and worn. And for it's size it is more comfortable and probably a lot faster. But this of course is my Opinion!
Old 02-07-2011, 04:43   #336

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

Sounds like she ticks all the boxes and that you're pleased with her. At the end of the day, that's all that matters, enjoy!
Old 02-07-2011, 06:00   #337
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
- My rudder has not fallen off

So in end I got past my anti-Hunter thinking and got a newer boat for my money (newer is almost always less beat up) with modern design, instead of a "classic" boat that would have been much older and worn.
Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
- My rudder has not fallen off
If a Hunters rudder hasnt fallen off there must be something wrong with it. I'd immediately haul the boat and find out why the rudder is still attached.

Glad you're having fun with it!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 02-07-2011, 08:33   #338
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Those are nice qualities and feedback Don, but I find most of the manufacturers do well on the larger (40+) boats. I really would like to have an honest opinion about the 30 range, which to me doesn't look too appetizing. Then again, looking at the other manufacturers makes me cringe alittle as well (catalina - engine access and boxy; bennie - um where do i hang the cabin heater?)
Old 02-07-2011, 08:54   #339

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
If a Hunters rudder hasnt fallen off there must be something wrong with it. I'd immediately haul the boat and find out why the rudder is still attached.

Mark
....says the guy who owns a 'bendytoy'.......

Get a cat', if one falls off mine, i've got a spare!
Old 02-07-2011, 09:07   #340

Boat: Caliber 40

Insegrevious: Something Broke
Caliber 40 hull #55
Old 02-07-2011, 09:31   #341
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if ye need a cabin heater, is time to relocate to warmer waters........more funner and longer sailing season, actually....
Old 01-10-2011, 05:00   #342
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

This guy was labeled a troll when he said he wanted to buy a boat and sail it across the Pacific with zero experience. Well, he made it, and on hunter. So much for needing to be an expert to have any chance in sailing such a deathtrap offhore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smukii View Post
Hey...Remember me....and this crazy idea about sailing a boat with no experience.....well, I ended up getting a hunter 40.5, sail it back to Australia...Had a fantastic time, met some really cool people along the way, and made many friends....I would recommended to anyone who is thinking about sailing......?The South Pacific was great....Thanks and happy sailing....
Sailing Licence - (From Australia) - Page 2 - Yachting and Boating World Forums
Old 01-10-2011, 05:19   #343

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
This guy was labeled a troll when he said he wanted to buy a boat and sail it across the Pacific with zero experience. Well, he made it, and on hunter. So much for needing to be an expert to have any chance in sailing such a deathtrap offhore.

Sailing Licence - (From Australia) - Page 2 - Yachting and Boating World Forums
Good for him, but someone on board had some experience so maybe we aren't getting the whole story ...
Quote:
My friend know more about boats and wants a 44ft
Old 01-10-2011, 15:42   #344
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

Yeah I will update after I have some beers with the guy. (we are both from Brisbane) Apparently his mate had some experience. But from what I can tell by chatting to him, together their experience was pretty much as low as you could get without going out of your way to ensure no one on the boat had ever sailed. I will confirm. In any case there were no gun seamean on that boat, well not before they left. Now that they made it back, they would almost certainly have more experience and skill than the average internet Hunter/prod boat basher.
Old 25-11-2011, 00:08   #345

Boat: Grew up sailing Blue Jays then Lightnings, Ensign 22, Hunter 33 sailed the PNW and loved it!

My two cents, First, growing up in New England I have always had a love for Cape Dory, Sabre, Pearsons and Bristols. I grew up when these companies were just flourishing! Being old (lol) and having to single hand- I bought a Hunter 33. It really was not the traditional boats I like. The boat was bought new with the mariner pkg at the seattle boat show in 2004 (100K). I singled handed it all around the Pugent Sound, San Juan and Gulf Islands- Made the inside passage to AK. I have had up to three people aboard for two weeks at a time- longest cruise was 3 weeks. Average cruise 5 to 10 days. It was actually an ideal coastal cruiser for wife (two people).

I experienced ZERO problems with the boat. Will admitt I took very good care of the boat and had it serviced professionally! The boat looked as clean when I recently sold it this year as when I purchased it. I sold it for 90K.. 100K new 7 years ago (90K) this year. True, I added two independent GPS, Radar, Heating, Auto Pilot, three blade prop and Full enclosure, etc! So, I did lose some money! I had 7 great seasons ... What I liked about Hunter: a) I was able to get my wife cruising b) very easy to single hand all from the cockpit c) A 5 year full and what I will call a REAL service warranty (never needed it) but many of my friends who did - only praised about the service. What I did not like: b&r rig made it hard to sail down wind and I had to use a spinker, Wheel steering (I prefer a tiller), over all lines (I am a traditionalist).. Knowing I was going to sell my boat- wife no longer wants to cruise and I will continue to sail single handed. I have been looking for the older clasic boats I love. I still am in love with small classic boats like the Capre Dory, Dana, Flicka, Shannon 28 and will enjoy my search. I never could fall in love with the Hunter lines (i will admit that the new H33 has many improvements). Just wanted to share a positive experience about Hunter. Thanks!
Closed Thread

Tags
hunter